PDA

View Full Version : Elaeagnus

Turf Dawg
05-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Will a Elaeagnus shrub flush back out from a severe pruning [no leaf material left]? I know many of the Holly's and Photinias will but I have never tried a Elaeagnus.

RAlmaroad
05-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Yes, yes, yes they're hard to hurt and grow like wildfire. We have them on the coast; the only redeeming feature is their fragrance.

Turf Dawg
05-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Yes, yes, yes they're hard to hurt and grow like wildfire. We have them on the coast; the only redeeming feature is their fragrance.

That is what I was wanting to hear. The owners who originally put them in let them get too big for that area. I know these are a large shrubs but I need to take them down from 7'high and dang near that wide down to around 4'X4'. The new owners wanted me to remove them but if they flush back out those will look nice in the area they are in.

Think Green
05-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Turf,
The things should bounce back in about a month. New growth will be somewhat slow at the center where all the thick growth was at usually from light deprivation.. The plant will be in a little shock, so tell them to water and you can use a slow release complete fertilizer if the customer is worried. I use a growers special........small blue prilled fert with minors.

grassman177
05-20-2011, 12:20 PM
they are all hardy, but what kind? angustifolia is the common russian olive trees. and there are several others.

IRRITECH
05-20-2011, 09:16 PM
That is what I was wanting to hear. The owners who originally put them in let them get too big for that area. I know these are a large shrubs but I need to take them down from 7'high and dang near that wide down to around 4'X4'. The new owners wanted me to remove them but if they flush back out those will look nice in the area they are in.

GET RID OF THEM!!! They are an absolute nightmare, without Atrimec you will be constantly pruning them to keep them under control. If the new owners want them out DO IT.

Turf Dawg
05-21-2011, 02:22 PM
GET RID OF THEM!!! They are an absolute nightmare, without Atrimec you will be constantly pruning them to keep them under control. If the new owners want them out DO IT.

I have several properties with them and I do not mind them a bit. Just give them a good pruning in spring and then just keep the stems cut every few weeks in between prunnings.

IRRITECH
05-21-2011, 07:16 PM
I have several properties with them and I do not mind them a bit. Just give them a good pruning in spring and then just keep the stems cut every few weeks in between prunnings.

That's my point, they constantly need upkeep unless you spray them. If you have the time and motivation to keep them pruned then keep them.