PDA

View Full Version : aeratoring lawn

ccorts
10-10-2002, 11:27 AM
In an attempt to rectify bare and thin spots in a 1/2 acre section of my lawn, I plan to rent an aerator and top seed this area. Does a "plug type" aerator work better than a spike type or "slice type pull behind " for this purpose? Does it really matter? Has anyone used an areator for this purpose and how were your results. I am in Michigan and was wondering if it is to late to do this now. Please advise and thank you for your time.

TurfGuyTX
10-10-2002, 08:28 PM
Hang in there, I'm sure someone from your area will offer some insight soon. Good luck.

Bob Minney
10-10-2002, 08:43 PM
For seeding plugging works great-do it all the time with excellent results.
For relieving compaction plug aerator is best so you would be getting additional benefit.
If just for overseeding spike should work ok if thats whats available.
Slice blades work well for overseeding also, just too much a pita for me to switch blades on my bluebird so I always aerate when over seeding.

Grasshog
10-15-2002, 09:20 PM
Bob I'm not from your area. I do know down South here the Aeration window is about to close. I would think youre window has closed and been covered with plastic.

A spike aerator will compact the lower soil more. As the spike enters the ground it pushes its way in. The effect is compacting the lower top soil and ripping the top layer up.

A plug type arator will pull a plug out with out further compacting the lower soil. As it puches its way into the soil, the soil is forced into the hollow center. Not pushed deeper. You will have to make at least two passes in differnt directions. Three is best.

The slice type aerator will create closer seed germination. Filling in the area better. Just slower work. lot slower

I would use the plugger. Early spring. I hope I have helped in some way.