PDA

View Full Version : Cummins is building a 4 cylinder diesel for the Nissan Titan

G. Ramey
05-19-2011, 11:22 PM
I was just over on pickuptrucks.com. Cummins is building a 2.8 liter inline four cylinder diesel for a future Nissan Titan. It supposed to get a city/ highway combined 28mpg. horsepower and torque are supposed to be 220 hp and 350 pound/foot.

DQL10
05-20-2011, 12:46 AM
If Cummins does do this it will sell like hotcakes. Wish Ford did this instead of the ecoboost.

Swampy
05-20-2011, 02:17 AM
don't think it will happen till the diesel 1/2 ton comes out.

greendoctor
05-20-2011, 02:28 AM
It will be the day when a 4 cylinder diesel ever appears in a small truck sold in the US market. Back in the old days, Nissan, Toyota and VW had small low powered 4 cylinder diesels in small trucks. Really good on fuel. What is stopping this is how the EPA mandates that trucks under a certain weight must have the same emissions profile as a gas engined car. In the rest of the world, Nissan and Toyota sell diesel trucks.

poolboy
05-20-2011, 07:22 AM
http://wot.motortrend.com/cummins-tests-four-cylinder-diesel-nissan-titan-79773.html

G. Ramey
05-20-2011, 10:38 AM
The article says the engine meets tier 2 bin 2 epa requirments which are the newest and strictest in the US. It is even Kalifornia CARB compliant. I think they are marketing the Titan as a 1/2 ton. Ford and Chevy are going to be playing catch up.

fool32696
05-22-2011, 01:08 PM
This surprises me because I thought Nissan was pretty good at building their own diesels. I hope this catches on and puts and end to these ridiculous horsepower/torque wars.

Patriot Services
05-22-2011, 01:18 PM
The Ford Duratorque is a great engine. I had the opportunity to drive several overseas. They are just shy of being CARB compliant. Ford feels the demand doesn't justify the cost of modifying for the US.
Posted via Mobile Device

stuvecorp
05-22-2011, 01:40 PM
We should have had diesel in half tons and small trucks so long ago but the whole catch is them not making the diesel a ridiculous upcharge compared to the gas motors.

Maybe Nissian will have the guts to do this? I'd buy one if it got the mileage numbers they are talking about and not way more money...

Patriot Services
05-22-2011, 01:54 PM
I know I'm dating myself. Remember the Volkswagon pickups with the diesels. 50mpg easily.
Posted via Mobile Device

stuvecorp
05-22-2011, 02:16 PM
I know I'm dating myself. Remember the Volkswagon pickups with the diesels. 50mpg easily.
Posted via Mobile Device

Believe it or not there are a couple running around town...

mybowtie
05-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

OMG are you old...wait I owned one of those back in the day.;)
Couldnt outrun it own shadow, but u could run all over town for a week and stll have half a tank left.

G. Ramey
05-22-2011, 06:39 PM
So what is the relationship between dodge and nissan. I remember hearing something about it but can't remember the details.

Patriot Services
05-22-2011, 06:45 PM
They have agreed to partner in vehicle development. They aren't calling it a merger though.
Posted via Mobile Device

tuney443
05-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Had a 81' Chevette with the 4 banger Isuzu diesel with a 5 speed manual.Had some gitty up plus we got 55 mpg.I think it had a 12 gal. tank.

White Gardens
05-22-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm stoked.

If they go ahead and build the truck then I will be buying one. That would be just a nice package with enough power and economy.

mowerbrad
05-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Just a few years ago, GM was getting ready to start offering a V6 duramax in their 1/2 ton silverados/sierras. They had them installed in some testing vehicles but they never actually made it to production. It was a great idea and still is, they were expecting to get around 25mpg in those trucks with the 4.5L duramax.

I'm hoping that the Cummins and Nissan deal will actually work out. If nissan can get a diesel in a 1/2 ton truck, they will hopefully push GM, Ford and Dodge to also work on getting a small diesel in their 1/2 ton models.

Someone has to be a pioneer in the US and "get the ball rolling".

Maco Services
05-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Everyone held off on new diesels when ULSD was going to be a mandate, and everyone was going to have to change newly engineered engines to deal with new fuel tolerances and lubricity.

Additionlly, Ford/Dodge/Chevy have all been living high on the hog with only offering the diesel in the 3/4 ton luxury trucks. It's been a race to see who can make the most exspensive toy with the most bells and whistles. TONS of people would skip the upgrade to a 3/4 ton and buy a 1/2 ton truck, undercutting a lot of sales from inside a brand.

I thought Mahindra bringing over their economy truck was going to be the game changer that woke the big brands up, but looks like Nissan may rock the boat. The last I heard, I thought all the Titan production was moving out of MS and going to be built in a Dodge plant, just badged Nissan, so a Cummins was an assumption. I worked for Nissan many years ago when there was some hard scrutiny on bringing in a 3/4 ton diesel under the Titan lineup, but they backed down.

I hope it's true. We need some smaller back to basics diesel available, and EPA needs to tone down their qualification process for diesel engines and focus on inspection and upkeep on the existing fleet. Great news to see!

pitrack
05-25-2011, 01:05 AM
Hm I would like a 1/2 ton Ram with that engine. And build the piss out of it.

greendoctor
05-25-2011, 04:46 AM
Everyone held off on new diesels when ULSD was going to be a mandate, and everyone was going to have to change newly engineered engines to deal with new fuel tolerances and lubricity.

Additionlly, Ford/Dodge/Chevy have all been living high on the hog with only offering the diesel in the 3/4 ton luxury trucks. It's been a race to see who can make the most exspensive toy with the most bells and whistles. TONS of people would skip the upgrade to a 3/4 ton and buy a 1/2 ton truck, undercutting a lot of sales from inside a brand.

I thought Mahindra bringing over their economy truck was going to be the game changer that woke the big brands up, but looks like Nissan may rock the boat. The last I heard, I thought all the Titan production was moving out of MS and going to be built in a Dodge plant, just badged Nissan, so a Cummins was an assumption. I worked for Nissan many years ago when there was some hard scrutiny on bringing in a 3/4 ton diesel under the Titan lineup, but they backed down.

I hope it's true. We need some smaller back to basics diesel available, and EPA needs to tone down their qualification process for diesel engines and focus on inspection and upkeep on the existing fleet. Great news to see!

It was the EPA and their anti diesel regulations that made it so only $40-60,000 trucks could be sold with a diesel engine. A 3/4-1 ton truck fell under the medium-heavy duty on road vehicle category which at one time had certain allowances for emissions. Everything else had to be equivalent to a gasoline engine in terms of emissions. That is why there are no 1/2 ton trucks or very many passenger cars running on diesel. Whereas in Europe, and the rest of the world half of everything on the road runs on diesel and it has been that way for a long time. I love the combination of low end power and real world fuel economy offered by a diesel. Truth is that a now vintage Mercedes hit me with the diesel bug. I cannot fault a car that hauled azz and got 25+ miles doing it. Back in those days I know that was not hard to do. But the usual vehicle for that had a 4 cylinder gas engine, manual transmission, no AC and was a death trap in an accident.

blk90s13
05-25-2011, 08:20 AM

Now that would be the way to go

White Gardens
05-25-2011, 09:26 AM

Wouldn't be the least bit surprises if that is what ends up happening. Dodge used to swap and share parts with Mitsubishi on some of the early 90's small trucks and cars.

Seems like dodge is always falling back on the Asian market every time their product line starts to decline.

Maco Services
05-25-2011, 11:49 PM
An old MB 300SD got me on the diesel bug too, but I can't substantiate the now price premium versus gas, combined with the incremental cost and high price repairs anticipated on new, and everchanging high power diesel engines.

Give me a tried and true diesel powerplant with known faults, a low complexity support system and a vehicle that is repairable by an average mechanic and I'm all in. I can't substantiate the price asked for trucks. Could I afford it yes, but substantiate it, no. I just bought a utility 3/4 ton with a CNG system preinstalled. Guess I'm going that route for a little while.

Patriot Services
05-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Clean, dependable, abundant, domestic alternative fuel in a solid engine. We badly need more CNG infrastructure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Poontamer
06-07-2011, 10:46 PM
This surprises me because I thought Nissan was pretty good at building their own diesels. I hope this catches on and puts and end to these ridiculous horsepower/torque wars.

No ****
Posted via Mobile Device

ecurbthims
06-24-2011, 03:36 AM
in the pre-1988 gm 1/2 tons ,you could have a 6.2 diesel ,dont think they made it into the 88 up models though .This was possible because the engine was very light for a diesel so there was no need for the heavy duty brakes ,suspension and steering .Its hard to tell its a diesel with a floor jack ,the same cant be said for the ford or dodge diesels though .

Mr. Fixer Upper
06-24-2011, 03:10 PM
I travel a bunch and in South America Toyota makes this truck called the Hilux with a 2.7l diesel in a crew cab configuration. Such a sweet little truck, I would buy one without hesitation. I even looked at the potential to import them......

Sydenstricker Landscaping
06-25-2011, 03:53 AM
Don't forget the diesel ranger of the 80's either. And Chevy did the 6.5 turbo diesel in the 1/2 ton silverado and blazer/tahoe in the early mid 90's. So this really isn't a first go at half ton trucks with diesels in the US.
Posted via Mobile Device

RoyalTree
07-04-2011, 04:39 PM
I have a 95 silverado 1500 with a 6.5 L turbo diesel with 210k miles. Great little truck
Posted via Mobile Device

Geo2199
07-12-2011, 10:34 PM
I travel a bunch and in South America Toyota makes this truck called the Hilux with a 2.7l diesel in a crew cab configuration. Such a sweet little truck, I would buy one without hesitation. I even looked at the potential to import them......

I want one so bad ever since i saw the unkillable toyota truck on topgear. Whenever you travel to 3rd world countries on continents like Africa, South America and remote areas of Asia and the Austrailian outback all you see is 15-20yr old Toyota Hilux's, Prados, and Landcruiser 4x4s. They also offer a 3.0L diesel with even more torque in the newer models. I think thats what they run in the Antartica exploration trucks (artictrucks.com).

But honestly I would rather see this motor in the Frontier with heavier duty springs. With some aero tricks and tall gearing a 4cylinder diesel frontier could get 30miles per gallon with that motor. How great of a truck would that be? Near V8 torque and 4 cylinder fuel economy in a mid size easy to park truck with a 7ft long bed and 2000lb payload capacity is what most American truck buyers need outside of commercial and construction work. I think since the govt wants all vehicles to get 35miles by per gallon by 2020 were gonna see a push for small diesel compact trucks. I think the days of buying 1/2 ton trucks and not using them for any type of work are gonna die out. I also think due to the challenges, cost and complexity of gaining those fuel economy targets that full size trucks will get to costly and midsize trucks are going to get more capable with higher payloads and towing capacities for the personal use consumer. And since 3/4 ton and 1ton trucks are left out of those fuel economy targets they will continue to get more capable which is what small business owners and contractors like us are going to demand.

GrassGuerilla
07-14-2011, 01:39 AM
It's kinda funny, after watching Topgear I realized that in the rest of the world diesels are economy cars/trucks. While in the U.S. They're a high dollar option. In fact you can almost buy an "economy car" for the price of a diesel upgrade. Go figure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Geo2199
07-14-2011, 01:50 AM
Its been like that for quite some time. In other countries they tax cars on weight, size and engine size. And since most countries have always paid $4, $5, and $6 a gallon gas prices small cars rule. There's hatchback economy car diesels getting over 70mpg with tiny 3 or 4 cylinder diesel motors for less than $10,000.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
07-14-2011, 04:29 AM
There is also a special penalty for gas guzzlers in Europe. An engine that does not meet fuel efficiency standards gets the shizz taxed out of you at time of sale. Not to mention gas or diesel are both $8+ there. Would you rather get 12 MPG or 30 MPG? Which is why Audi, BMW, Jaguar, and Mercedes all have high performance, high output diesels as an option for even their luxury sedans. Many years ago, I had a choice between a 560 SEL or a 300 D turbo. Guess which one I got. Gas was never cheap in my state.

Mickhippy
07-14-2011, 06:48 AM
New Ford Ranger. 3.2lt turbo diesel...

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Satellite?c=DFYPage&cid=1248885252235&pagename=FOA%2Fcontroller&site=FOA
http://youtu.be/gbNuU2eMUoU

Heres my ute, 3lt turbo diesel. Toyota Hilux...

AI Inc
07-14-2011, 06:54 AM

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Satellite?c=DFYPage&cid=1248885252235&pagename=FOA%2Fcontroller&site=FOA

wow, fords dropping the ranger at the end of the yr in the US.

Geo2199
07-14-2011, 11:20 AM
In other countries they have continued to refine the Ranger and Mazda BT-50. With diesels and they even offer a 4 door crew cab models. But Ford makes more money off F-150s so they purposely haven't changed them so americans will buy larger more expensive trucks than they need. Full size trucks don't sell well overseas because of huge taxes based on motor size vehicle weight and exterior dimensions. That and the fact that full size trucks are to wide and long to maneuver in tight off road situations since most 3rd world countries have very few paved roads.
Posted via Mobile Device

outlaw1960
07-14-2011, 03:21 PM

If they were only available here....very nice set-up Mick!

Mickhippy
07-14-2011, 06:14 PM
If they were only available here....very nice set-up Mick!

Thanks mate! I solo and dont do gardening so no need to cart shovels etc. I cart the trailer, ztr, 1 or 2 trimmers, and a BP blower generally. Occasionally a pushy and spray pack and thats about it. The Hilux tows everything without a problem!

I will be checking out the new Ranger after its been out for a while. The 3.2lt diesel interests me. I think its a larger truck over all and a space cab would be awesome. Thats my only problem with my "Lux," lack of storage space in the cab!

heather lawn sp
07-20-2011, 02:27 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

That's ok, I remember too:rolleyes:. At my age I'm the only one that will date me

heather lawn sp
07-20-2011, 02:36 AM

That's it Mick I'm sold. I'm moving to Australia. You have the same Queen as we do, right?:canadaflag:

Mickhippy
07-20-2011, 02:46 AM
That's it Mick I'm sold. I'm moving to Australia. You have the same Queen as we do, right?:canadaflag:

I believe so!

bobcat_ron
07-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Give me a Volkswagen diesel any day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mickhippy
07-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Give me a Volkswagen diesel any day.
Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.volkswagen-amarok.com.au/

AI Inc
07-21-2011, 06:45 AM
That's ok, I remember too:rolleyes:. At my age I'm the only one that will date me

Keeps ya in good company.

South Florida Lawns
07-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Just a few years ago, GM was getting ready to start offering a V6 duramax in their 1/2 ton silverados/sierras. They had them installed in some testing vehicles but they never actually made it to production. It was a great idea and still is, they were expecting to get around 25mpg in those trucks with the 4.5L duramax.

I'm hoping that the Cummins and Nissan deal will actually work out. If nissan can get a diesel in a 1/2 ton truck, they will hopefully push GM, Ford and Dodge to also work on getting a small diesel in their 1/2 ton models.

Someone has to be a pioneer in the US and "get the ball rolling".

you ever seen a 4bt cummins in a 1500?

heather lawn sp
07-24-2011, 12:46 AM
you ever seen a 4bt cummins in a 1500?

ok I'll bite at the hook

"No not yet"