PDA

View Full Version : PHOTOS - SynLawn® (Synthetic Turf) Installation

JimLewis
05-20-2011, 01:28 AM
Here are some photos from a SynLawn® job we just completed today. Please give me a few minutes to post all the photos before replying.

Here is what it looked like Monday morning at 8:30 a.m.

BEFORE PHOTOS:

JimLewis
05-20-2011, 01:30 AM
a few more before photos:

JimLewis
05-20-2011, 01:32 AM
And here is what it looked like today (job was completed at 12:00 noon. 3.5 Days)

AFTER PHOTOS:

JimLewis
05-20-2011, 01:34 AM
here are a few more after photos:

JimLewis
05-20-2011, 01:35 AM
this is the final after photo:

Cam.at.Heritage
05-20-2011, 08:12 AM
What? No stripes?? Haha, looks good.... I personally would have tried to incorporate a bed along that massive wall to try and scale it down, I can see you have a bed in at the one side but a little more wouldn't hurt.

And why the steep slope at the walkway area?? Its not like he has to get a mover up there, haha. Why not just do steps??

nobagger
05-20-2011, 08:21 AM
Once again Jim, you guys do outstanding work!!

JimLewis
05-20-2011, 11:13 AM
What? No stripes?? Haha, looks good.... I personally would have tried to incorporate a bed along that massive wall to try and scale it down, I can see you have a bed in at the one side but a little more wouldn't hurt.

And why the steep slope at the walkway area?? Its not like he has to get a mover up there, haha. Why not just do steps??

The client has been dealing with soggy, wet, muddy heavy clay soil (grass not growing well, plants dying, etc.) in a fairly shady back yard for years and is sick of it. They really aren't good at maintenance of any sort and don't really have any desire to maintain plants or lawn. So that's why no planting bed there by the rock wall.

As for the ramp, that was already there. And they just wanted it to be turf. I did actually suggest that. But they have young kids. I think nice soft turf is more appealing to them than hard concrete or rock steps that little toddlers would easily get injured on. Plus, this stuff is hella expensive. So they pretty much blew their whole budget on just the turf.

The one large area that isn't turf is going to be raised garden boxes that will just be used in the summer. Otherwise, that would have been turf too.

mnglocker
05-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Where's the windmill and ball return basket?

JimLewis
05-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Haha. Funny guy. This wasn't put-put mini golf. But you could almost put on this turf. Almost short enough....but not quite.

JimLewis
05-20-2011, 05:08 PM

The other issue with doing it this way is that the SynLawn comes in 15' wide rolls. And there was about 31' between the house and that rock wall. So it was perfect for 2 rolls side by side and that took it just 1' away from the big rock wall. If we had wanted to create a planting bed there near the rock wall that would mean we'd be cutting off and wasting about 40'x3' of SynLawn. At almost $6 per sq. ft. that's a good $720 of Synlawn you're throwing away. This customer, like most we do SynLawn for, really hate wasting any of it, since it costs so damm much. This guy wanted us to use every sq. inch. And we tried. There was very little waste on this project. So again, another reason why we didn't do that.

Dr.NewEarth
05-21-2011, 01:06 PM
So now you need to sell the guy a walk behind turf vac.

JimLewis
05-21-2011, 02:11 PM
No kidding. That stuff gets messy looking so easily!!! We finished at noon and I took some photos then and when I came back to take some more photos at 6:00 after the sun was on the other side of the house, it was already littered with leaves, cherry blossoms, little twigs, etc.

I told him he's going to need a good blower.

THEGOLDPRO
05-21-2011, 03:11 PM
How long does this stuff last for? and whats the maintenance like on it? how do you clean it when it gets dirty?

White Gardens
05-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Looks good Jim. Thumbs Up

I've had a couple of clients inquire about synthetic turf, good to know it comes out looking good in the end.

JimLewis
05-22-2011, 02:20 PM
How long does this stuff last for? and whats the maintenance like on it? how do you clean it when it gets dirty?

SynLawn has a 10-year no-fade warranty on that product. As for durability, I don't know for sure. We've been installing it for several years and haven't ever had anyone call me back and say they had problems with it.

Maintenance depends a little on what kind of synthetic turf you use. Many varieties require an infill product that is swept in between the blades of the grass. (see photo below for example). They do this because these varieties of turf don't stand up well on their own. They tend to lay down or look somewhat flattened. They need the infill for balast - to keep the blades sticking straight up. That kind of turf requires a little more maintenance because infill needs to be replaced occasionally. I haven't ever installed a variety that requires infill because I don't like that stuff. It trackes on shoes and pets feet over to decks, patios, inside, etc. big mess.

INFILL:
http://www.buildinggreen.com/cgi-bin/scale.cgi?width=250&src=/articles/images/1304/basespec.jpg

Otherwise, the better synthetic turf is thick enough to not require any infill. So less maintenance. The main thing is blowing it off regularly. Leaves, blossoms, etc. will land and make the lawn look a little messy. Otherwise, any synthatic turf can look a little flat or start to lay down over time. So occasional re-brooming of it is necessary to get the blades to stand back up straight. A power broom is the easiest way to do this. But not everyone has a power broom. So you can do it with a shop broom or even a real powerful blower.

POWER BROOM:
http://www.betterthanrealgrass.com/archivos/TRAINING%20PICS%2019%281%29.jpg

Otherwise, there's very little maintenance. In fact, none of the maintenance is mandatory or time sensitive. Which is why people love synthetic turf. No mowing, edging, weeding, fertilizing, watering, re-seeding, muddy spots, low spots, etc. You can install it and literally do almost nothing to it (except blow it off, like you would any hardscape) for quite a long time and it just stays looking nice.

JimLewis
05-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Looks good Jim. Thumbs Up

I've had a couple of clients inquire about synthetic turf, good to know it comes out looking good in the end.

Fairly easy to install, as long as you get some hands-on training first or during your first install. It comes in 15' rolls. So if you have an area that is wider than 15', then you have to get into seaming. And THAT is a real PITA to get right. We had the owner of the local SynLawn distributorship out there helping us with this one, just to make sure we got the seams right. It was quite difficult. And he said that's the #1 reason they get call backs at the SynLawn office - because contractors didn't do the seam correctly and now you can see this big line across the lawn. So again, some really good hands-on training or a whole lot of studying (online videos, etc.) I think would be an absolute requirement if you ever had to do a job with a seam.

We've done several installations where the lawn never got more than 15' wide. So there was no seaming involved in those. They go in a whole lot easier! But there is still the issue of stretching. It's just like carpet stretching. But if you've never done that, it's a little tricky too. Otherwise, overall, it's not too awful difficult. No more than pavers, really. If you remember the first time you did pavers, it's sort of the same thing. Very scary at first, and if you screw up any part of it a lot can go wrong. But once you get used to doing pavers, it seems pretty easy. Same thing here. Just gotta be really precise on your seams.

tadpole
05-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Just curious. What about weeds? I am not referring to growth from under the Syn-Lawn, but weed seed germination among the blades of the Syn-Lawn where small bits of wind blown organics will be trapped and accumulate. If Syn-Lawn has a woven base like the original Astro-Turf, weed roots will easily penetrate this layer to reach the soil below.

JimLewis
05-23-2011, 01:29 AM
Just curious. What about weeds? I am not referring to growth from under the Syn-Lawn, but weed seed germination among the blades of the Syn-Lawn where small bits of wind blown organics will be trapped and accumulate. If Syn-Lawn has a woven base like the original Astro-Turf, weed roots will easily penetrate this layer to reach the soil below.

I seriously doubt it. But I guess it could happen. If someone let enough leaves build up and disintegrate, maybe. Weeds could grow on flat concrete for that matter too - if someone let enough organic matter build up on it. So I guess anything's possible.

As for weed roots penetrating soil below, there is no soil below. SynLawn is installed on a 4" bed of highly compacted gravel with a geotextile fabric below that.

tadpole
05-23-2011, 08:46 AM
Didn't realize that Syn-Lawn was installed over a prepared base. Answers my question. Thanks, Jim.

xtreem3d
05-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Jim,
Is it fastened down good enough a dog couldn't chew it up off the surface and can it withstand dogs running a fence line?
Steve

JimLewis
06-01-2011, 04:40 PM
It's supposed to be. In this case, these people don't have dogs. But I installed one a few years back for some people who run a dog rescue shelter out of their home. They always have 3-8 dogs there at any given time. And that's specifically why they wanted the turf. I put a 5-year warranty on the workmanship and they haven't called. That was 2007. So I can only assume it held up well. I think they would have called otherwise. But I haven't ever had reason to call them back and we haven't had anymore work from them since so I haven't had an opportunity to check and see.

That is one of the main purposes for SynLawn - dog runs, dog parks, etc. We installed it as per exact SynLawn guidelines. The owner of the local SynLawn dealership was even there with us helping us for part of it for about 5 hours one day as well. And from what he tells me it holds up real well to traffic from dogs.

Anything is possible with dogs though. I've seen dogs dig up pop-up spray heads on sprinkler systems and go down the the PVC pipe buried 6-8" underground and chew holes in that. So anything can happen, I guess, if the dog is really going after something. But in general I understand the stuff stands up to dog traffic really well.

The installation we did last year was for a dog as well and I know that guy's been happy with the work.