PDA

View Full Version : What kind of truck should I get?

pattytastik
05-20-2011, 02:35 PM
I'm 16 and will be getting my license in the summer. I have around 60 accounts (all tiny) (i work in a city) I really just need something to carry my 2 22'' mowers and my weedwacker, blower, hedger ect. I do around 10 mulch jobs a season (less than 2-3 yards each). The main problem is cost. Insurance is ridiculous. Costs of trucks are crazy. I am thinking of an older (95-98) trucks 2wd (4wd is more expensive on insurance policy's apparently) and i would love an f-150, but i got a quote for 5.5k per year for a 99 f150 lol.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

NJ Grass
05-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Stay away from older Dodges or all Dodges for that matter, there transmissions are junk from my personal experience. I would say try and get a newer Toyota if you can, a V6 Tacoma will take care of you just fine and you'll have a lot less mechanic bills to deal with in the long run than if you buy an old american p/u.

As far as insurance I would see if you can have one of your parents get the vehicle insurance under their name, it's probably not so much the vehicle type thats driving up your insurance rates but rather your age, insurance companies fear young drivers and make them pay out the ass.

just my opinion, gl to you

G. Ramey
05-20-2011, 03:22 PM
$5500 a year for insurance. Thats ridiculous! Thats more than a hundred dollars a week. Have you checked with more than one insurance company?

pattytastik
05-20-2011, 03:45 PM
$5500 a year for insurance. Thats ridiculous! Thats more than a hundred dollars a week. Have you checked with more than one insurance company?

Yes. I have the best i have been able to find is like 4900 a year. Keep in mind:

I am a brand new driver
I am male
I live in one of the busiest cities in the world
I was getting a quote for a relitivly large pickup (more potential damage)
It had 4x4 (not sure about this one but i assume it is because of off-roading)
It actually was a brand new policy (for me, it wasn't gonna be on my parents policy) my parents aren't happy with the idea of me being on theirs lol.

Also, I do not plan on doing this a career. Just for money for college. So I can't rationalize buying a newer (2002+) pickup and spending a big deal on insurance when i will be dropping the business soon.

BCL Services
05-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Yes. I have the best i have been able to find is like 4900 a year. Keep in mind:

I am a brand new driver
I am male
I live in one of the busiest cities in the world
I was getting a quote for a relitivly large pickup (more potential damage)
It had 4x4 (not sure about this one but i assume it is because of off-roading)
It actually was a brand new policy (for me, it wasn't gonna be on my parents policy) my parents aren't happy with the idea of me being on theirs lol.

Also, I do not plan on doing this a career. Just for money for college. So I can't rationalize buying a newer (2002+) pickup and spending a big deal on insurance when i will be dropping the business soon.

Sorry but all things considered above, that quote is still horribly high.

pattytastik
05-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Sorry but all things considered above, that quote is still horribly high.

I couldn't agree with you more.

mattmkng
05-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Fords are great trucks and in my opinion I wouldn't drive anything else when it comes to half-ton and above. In your case I would try and find a Toyota Tacoma. They are very reliable, great on fuel, and can haul those three yards of mulch.

punt66
05-20-2011, 04:28 PM
BUY AMERICAN. Do us all a favor.

Classic Cuts Lawn Service
05-20-2011, 05:14 PM
The reason your insurance is so high is because you are going to be a new driver. I am 17. I am on my parents insurance and their insurance nearly doubled once they added me for driving...

pattytastik
05-20-2011, 05:17 PM
The reason your insurance is so high is because you are going to be a new driver. I am 17. I am on my parents insurance and their insurance nearly doubled once they added me for driving...

What kind of car(s) do they/you drive?
and do you know how much it costs for u to be on their policy?

05-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Honestly I don't know how much it costs but I drive an 06 Toyota Tundra 4x4
also my parents own a 11 Tundra 4x4 and an 03 lexus

pattytastik
05-20-2011, 05:20 PM
man u r lucky! i'm working with a 2002 toyota seinna lmao. Thats why i need my own policy with my own vehicle.

05-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Yea, when I first started when I was 8 we would put 2 21 inch toro super recyclers in the back of my mom's oddesy

pattytastik
05-20-2011, 05:28 PM
wow 8 years old. thats very impressive. I started when I was 13, i thought that was pretty good haha. Do you think i should consider just being on the sienna in order to save money? my mom works from home, so i could use it pretty often.

NJ Grass
05-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

NJ Grass
05-20-2011, 05:52 PM
When you look for insurance are you getting quotes for full coverage or just liability? It sounds like full coverage in which case you might consider just having liability coverage. you'll be taking on some risk in the event you are in an accident and found to be at fault, but the general rule of thumb from most insurance agents is that if the cost of your insurance over three years is more than the value of the vehiclethen it's not worth carrying full coverage. In your case it sounds like you'd be paying $4900 a year for full coverage on a truck that's worth about $5000. I'd go with liability until your truck and equipment total over $15k.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kelly's Landscaping
05-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Those quotes are disgusting you might want to try getting a insurance policy for business instead of personal. So what ever the name of your business would be the policy owner had a friend that use to do this when he was in his teens seemed to work well for him. I can not imagine wasting that much on insurance. I just added a truck to my policy on Thursday 500k full coverage its a $60,000 truck 2011 ram slt 4500 crew cab dump truck its less then 1,500 a year for the insurance. Of course I'm 40 but see my point your getting seriously taken advantage of.

flyingdutch16
05-21-2011, 12:27 AM
if i were you, dont get a truck. And get an SUV. You really dont need a truck for the kinda work you do. It saves you plus there some nice SUVS out there with better mileages. Just my .2cents

johnny_boy02
05-21-2011, 02:52 AM
Have you checked with a insurance broker? I had a horrible driving record as a teenager and was able to save about 50%.

As for a truck I have a 2007 2wd 6 cyl Ford f-150 that is perfect for me. If I were only doing this for a short time I would look for a mid 80's Toyota 2wd pickup. Like this..

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/2377008616.html

http://reading.craigslist.org/cto/2369521130.html
I had a 86 that would get 30+ mpg and the ac would freeze you. I still wish I would not have sold it.

hosejockey2002
05-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Those quotes are disgusting you might want to try getting a insurance policy for business instead of personal.

That's a good point. You want a business policy anyway, since every personal policy I've read specifically excludes business use. In other words, if you get in an accident while you're running around servicing your accounts you won't be covered. The only problem you may face is I'm not sure if a business policy can be issued to a person under age 18. Good luck, hope it works out.

lawnboy dan
05-21-2011, 07:10 PM
some really stupid answers here-buy american!-is buying a used japanese truck going to make any diff to the american ecomony?..............not! buy a suv indtead to save gas. really a suv sucks just as much gas as a pickup and dosnt provide the utility.

SNAPPER MAN
05-21-2011, 07:20 PM
I just traded two american pos trucks in for a tundra and couldn't be happier. The tundra pulls my trailers just as good as my F-250 did. If you are just pulling a small trailer look into a tacoma. They can pull some serious weight and last forever. No american truck will last like a toyota will.

lawnboy dan
05-22-2011, 09:03 AM
i could not agree more! my tundra v6 out tows my old chevy 305 v8!

punt66
05-22-2011, 09:14 PM
Buying American creates a demand for American products. If you people keep burying your heads in the sand you will end up with nothing but a 3rd world country. Support you fellows and demand American products.

SNAPPER MAN
05-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Haha my tundra is more American than fords, dodge, and Chevys. My truck was built in San Antonio and has more American components than the big threes trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
05-22-2011, 09:46 PM
reguardless of hte make and model or size for that matter remember when you test drive it tell them your going to load it up like you are going to use it and drive it all day . this will give you fuel usage and prove to be semi reliable ,there is nothing worse then buying something to find out it blowed a front seal when you pulled with it all day ANY small truck is acceptable for your load wer run ford rangers with 12' to 14' trailers and still get 17mpg at the end of the day . on the ones we place the equipment in the bed they average 19 mpg I can imagine with YOUR load it would be almost like driving empty .
toyotas are a good choice as well they are bullet proof GL

punt66
05-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Haha my tundra is more American than fords, dodge, and Chevys. My truck was built in San Antonio and has more American components than the big threes trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

let me guess, you hire illegals as well? Toyota is owned by the Japanese. Toyota is given HUGE tax breaks to build here. It costs taxpayers in the range of 140k a year per employee for toyota to be here. American car companies employ 2.5 times the employees then any import. Bury head in sand and keep making excuses.

flyingdutch16
05-23-2011, 02:56 PM
now this might be a little off topic, but could you still plow with a tundra? or tacoma?