PDA

View Full Version : MD Lawn Care & Landscaping Pics

MDLawn
05-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Here is a bit of the work completed so far this year. Some edging with mulch to be completed soon.

MDLawn
05-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Some mulching from today

MDLawn
05-20-2011, 08:05 PM
More edging mulching. Also my little mule and the cart it pulls.

highlander316
05-20-2011, 08:47 PM
nice, deep edging, really sets off the beds.

MDLawn
05-20-2011, 08:56 PM
I really like the brown mulch around here but most of my customers prefer the dyed black. This stuff here in the trailer is easy to spread, decomposes better year to year, and not so messy like the dyed products. The black mulch is just woody material that barely decomposes and again did I mention the mess!!

MDLawn
05-20-2011, 08:59 PM
A recent black mulch job.

MDLawn
05-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Just a little dry stack stone border wall and an Allan Block Garden Accent border wall.

MDLawn
05-20-2011, 09:07 PM
nice, deep edging, really sets off the beds.

Thanks. If the edges are not there, the landscaping just doesn't look right.

MDLawn
05-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Small backyard lawn redo and sod install. The landscaping was supposed to be done but it was taken out at the last moment. Too bad because it would have looked much better. First pic is the lawn before, obviously.

RLS24
05-20-2011, 10:09 PM
looks nice! thats a big dump trailer. Krantz mulch?

bobcat48
05-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Looks great,very nice work!

Deputy_Swan
05-20-2011, 11:58 PM
those are some beautiful yards

MDLawn
05-21-2011, 06:59 AM
looks nice! thats a big dump trailer. Krantz mulch?

Thanks. Is a 7x14, I think is looks bigger in the picture. I had a 6x10 and it just ran out of room too fast although it was filled to the max with that large edging job and bush trimmings! The brown mulch is from Russells but I believe Krantz has the same stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
05-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Looks great,very nice work!

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
05-21-2011, 07:00 AM
those are some beautiful yards

Thanks. Yea its nice to work on good properties.
Posted via Mobile Device

PL&L
05-21-2011, 08:24 AM
nice! what kind of grass is post 3? great looking stripes!

MDLawn
05-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Some pictures from a clean, egde, mulch job today. Black mulch is not my favorite but it matches the house trim well.

MDLawn
05-21-2011, 08:40 PM
A couple more

MDLawn
05-21-2011, 08:44 PM
nice! what kind of grass is post 3? great looking stripes!

I believe most lawns around here are a bluegrass/fescue mix but not sure (great landscaper I am :dizzy:)

MDLawn
05-22-2011, 11:50 AM
For those that also use black dyed bulk mulch, does the mulch you use come real wet? The black bulk stuff we use is ALWAYS wet and I'm not sure if it is just so fresh from being dyed or something else. I've resorted to using industrial rubber gloves as regular gloves just get destroyed, not to mention soaked!
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
05-22-2011, 02:37 PM
A before and after of the previous job

MDLawn
05-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Before & After. It's more dramatic in person but there was some minor trimming, bush removal, and bush & annual planting.

MDLawn
05-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Before & After

MDLawn
06-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Some before, during, & afters of a trim, edge, & mulch job.

MDLawn
06-10-2011, 07:46 PM
And more....

MDLawn
06-10-2011, 07:48 PM
more.......

MDLawn
06-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Last one.....

Lux Lawn
06-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Jobs look real nice.

S-205
06-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Theres nothing worse than wet gloves!

MDLawn
06-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Jobs look real nice.

Thanks for the comment!

THEGOLDPRO
06-10-2011, 08:42 PM
looks real nice man. Edging is top notch.

MDLawn
06-10-2011, 08:50 PM
looks real nice man. Edging is top notch.

Thanks GoldPro. The guy I worked for many moons ago was a strickler on edging!

MDLawn
06-10-2011, 09:00 PM
So this is a little bit of extra product from a few jobs that I created a small bed in the corner of my yard. I put in just a couple very small clumps of these flowers (primrose?) and it blew up this year! It looks great but I'll need to keep it under control!!

POWER STROKE
06-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Very nice work, what do you use for edging

MDLawn
06-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Very nice work, what do you use for edging

My right foot with a Timberland Pro Pit Boss steel toe boot and a spade :-).

I have never tried a "power edger" and the spade always works well and looks great.
Posted via Mobile Device

THEGOLDPRO
06-10-2011, 11:14 PM
i just noticrd there are 2 mdlawns on this forum.... that is a bit confusing.

MDLawn
06-11-2011, 07:40 AM
Yea I think the other guy is mdlwn1. Both of us talked before about that. I'd change my name if I could.
Posted via Mobile Device

YardGal
06-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Great photos of your work! Really nice shots! Have you ever thought about entering New Holland's Extreme Dream contest. You could win a New Holland L218 Skid Steer Loader and $500 in travel expense to attend GIE + Expo in October in Louisville, Kentucky! How cool is that?

The website is http://www.lawnsite.com/extremedream2011 in case you're interested.
Have a great day!

YardGal
06-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Good work!

MDLawn
06-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Just more maintenance work (egding, mulching). I love this landscaping with the perennials, it is just so interesting and not the same boring bushes shaped into circles, squares, cylinders, etc.... I put in the stone wall last year and it held up real well through the winter staying level. The small rocks are put in by the customer as they collect them from places they go. But again I just love the type of landscaping.

MDLawn
06-30-2011, 10:13 PM
As some of you may know I've decided to hang up the landscape boots and just work my full time so I can spend time with my family.....at least thats the plan. I will definitely miss doing the work but I cannot miss my son growing up. If we need the money I'll just start up once again but I dont imagine that to be the case. So as one of my last pictures I will post my own retirement present. :laugh::laugh: Hoping to do more traveling with the family in the spring&summer so this beast will help out!! Plus I still want a truck. Who know's what next spring will bring but as of the end of the year I'm out. Thanks to all those who helped me along the way, couldnt have done it without your help and guidance!!

Details - 2008 CC SWB DRW V10

THEGOLDPRO
07-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Dope truck man.

jhouchins
07-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Very nice work. You won't have a problem getting back in the business with that quality work. Enjoy the family bro.

MDLawn
07-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Dope truck man.

Thanks. It'll be nice not to have to worry about scratchin it up with tools, mulch, soil, grass, etc...

MDLawn
07-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Very nice work. You won't have a problem getting back in the business with that quality work. Enjoy the family bro.

Thanks I really appreciate the comments. I tried my best to give people what they deserved to recieve.

MDLawn
07-01-2011, 11:21 PM
I know that when next spring comes it is going to be very different not running around for estimates, mulch, lawns, etc... I've done this for 10 years and I will admit it is really starting to set in that I will no longer be landscaping professionally. It's too bad because my referrals and jobs not from advertising were and still are coming in. I'll miss the money, the accomplishment of finishing a really good job, and making the customer happy. Oh yea using all that fun equipment too!! But leaving on a saturday and just watching my son waving bye to me knowing I wont see him for 10hrs kills me. Maybe full time wouldnt be that bad but the weather makes this industry so chaotic & stressful. Sincerely I wish nothing but the best for everyone who makes a true go in this industry.

Thanks Guys.

pitrack
07-21-2011, 12:01 AM
more.......

Mulch jobs look nice, do you use a bed edger?

MDLawn
07-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Mulch jobs look nice, do you use a bed edger?

Thanks!

Nope, just my size 13 Timberland Pit Boss Boot and a sharpened spade. Pain in the arse but man that spade leaves a crisp edge. Never tried a bed edger once in 10 years, maybe should have. The friend who taught me everything drilled into my head to make the edges clean and crisp!!

BTW, nice website!

MDLawn
07-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Just some stripes from the other day. Glad I'm not doing any lawn/landscaping today, 92 degrees feels like 100, UV index High, Humidity 60%. At least there are 25mph winds :dizzy::dizzy:

Pressedun
07-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Nice truck man, is that a 6 foot bed on a DRW? I don't ever see that!

MDLawn
07-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Yea it is a 6ft bed. Definitely rare and Ford did produce them. That's what made me really like it. Something different and not a mile long like a long bed dually. More of a toy if anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pressedun
07-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Yea it is a 6ft bed. Definitely rare and Ford did produce them. That's what made me really like it. Something different and not a mile long like a long bed dually. More of a toy if anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kinda nice, you have the room for more passengers at the length of a long bed standard cab.
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
07-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Plus 5k worth of payload capacity!
Posted via Mobile Device

bobcat48
07-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Sweet looking ford.

RLS24
07-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Just some stripes from the other day. Glad I'm not doing any lawn/landscaping today, 92 degrees feels like 100, UV index High, Humidity 60%. At least there are 25mph winds :dizzy::dizzy:

I was thinking about you yesterday cutting those lawns on Huntingwood going "that bastard is sitting in a nice air conditioned office!" hahaha hey if you've got any more lawns you'd like to unload let me know I'd be glad to take care of them.

MDLawn
07-25-2011, 10:17 AM
I was thinking about you yesterday cutting those lawns on Huntingwood going "that bastard is sitting in a nice air conditioned office!" hahaha hey if you've got any more lawns you'd like to unload let me know I'd be glad to take care of them.

Yea the 67 degree room was pretty nice not to mention just being there for a few hours, and still getting paid, then leaving for the air conditioned house!! I'll be finishing out the year but I will be in touch at the end of the year about any lawns.

MDLawn
07-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Sweet looking ford.

Thanks! Thumbs Up

MDLawn
08-16-2011, 02:21 PM
It's been weird lately. I cannot wait to be finished with cutting lawns this year but I get this sick feeling about not doing landscaping anymore. Things were going so well. I've sold so much (of the few things I had) already and almost regret it. I definitely dont want to be mowing grass but I think I might miss the landscape work. Just bored lately I guess. Miss the self employed (although part time) feeling.

RLS24
08-16-2011, 03:57 PM
It's been weird lately. I cannot wait to be finished with cutting lawns this year but I get this sick feeling about not doing landscaping anymore. Things were going so well. I've sold so much (of the few things I had) already and almost regret it. I definitely dont want to be mowing grass but I think I might miss the landscape work. Just bored lately I guess. Miss the self employed (although part time) feeling.

I have a friend of mine (actually the guy who works for me) who used to work for another much larger landscape company locally (who you'd know of I'm sure) until this year when he went back to school and started working for me part time. But he has quite a few side jobs between lawns and landscape jobs that he gets from friends/family/neighbors and usually I end up doing them with him and we basically split the money like 70%/30% in my favor for my time and equipment. For lawns 1 day a week we mow his 5 lawns, he keeps the money but then works for free for me doing the rest of my 14 we also do that day. It works for him, and me too I guess. But hes in the same spot you are...likes to do the work, has enough side jobs to bring in some extra money here and there, but not enough to warrant making the HUGE investment of buying all his own stuff. He'd like you I think in that he LOVES to do the work, but sees the headaches that I deal with on the business end of things and doesnt want that, and in a lot of cases, the money doesnt matter its like his hobby almost. I'm the same way, I'm doing it because I like to landscape and I like to cut grass first and foremost, but I couldnt stand working for someone else, so being a businessman comes with the territory so to say. The whole above arrangement was actually his idea, and I just said "yes" because it works for me and in the end, its MY name on the trucks that show up, MY name on the shirts we wear, and MY name on the sign that I usually try to sneak on the front lawn when we leave. How long this will go on for, I have no idea but its working great for right now!

MDLawn
08-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Enough whining, here are more pics from few of the properties I maintain. Just some stripes.

MDLawn
08-17-2011, 02:29 PM
This little property is one of the first I ever acquired. Absolute tiny lot but have done lots of small landscpe projects like new sod lawn (it looks just ok now with all the heat and dry weather lately), new front bed with hostas, and other improvements in the backyard, and the house got a neighborhood impovement award from the village!! I'll take some credit for that!

MDLawn
01-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Well after all that drama I've decided to continue with the landscaping side of my business. I've retained work from many of my mowing customers who I will no longer be mowing for, must have done something right to retain them. I'll be trying to start a marketing strategy for the spring and hopefully pick up more landscape maintenance/small install work. I know it's going to be much more difficult to get new landscape maintenace (non mowing) customers than picking up the extra work from the mowing customers. I have plenty of work to keep my busy for the upcoming spring but having more isn't always a bad thing. It's crazy around here as we have not had a major snow event all winter (well the southern tier did) and it's almost the middle of January!! So seeing all the landscapes in my area not covered in snow makes me keep thinking about all this more and more.

For any of you Buffalo/Amherst/Orchard Park/WNY area guys I'd be happy to point any potential lawn mowing contacts I get this year in your direction and if you dont handle landscaping work or are too backed up feel free to send anything my way:drinkup:

MDLawn
05-03-2012, 09:13 AM
I'm not boxwood perfectionist like Perfect Earth yet, but these low boxwoods are a backbreaker!! Also the truck and dump trailer with mulch for this job.

MDLawn
05-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Mulch job for a friend of mine. He did the clean out and edging(not deep enough for me) and just called me into mulch. The last pic is a large berm that in order to get to it you have to go uphill no matter which path you took. Fun times.

MDLawn
05-03-2012, 09:27 AM
This was an attempt to remove bushes along my house. Worked really well until a stubborn bush won and bent the right leg (not shown here) of the hoist.

LawnMan19
05-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Looks good man, and it sucks the bush won....how many yards does your dump trailer hold?

MDLawn
05-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Looks good man, and it sucks the bush won....how many yards does your dump trailer hold?

Yea not good about the hoist, I should've braced underneath it better to prevent that.

The dump is a 7x14 and the most I've done was 8 yards. It'll hold more of the non dyed mulches but the black dyed is pretty heavy. Payload is at 9400lbs max on the label.
Posted via Mobile Device

vinnieobrien
05-03-2012, 12:59 PM
everything looks superb. are you going to stay in the business and try and make it a 8-5 job? so you have time with the fam?

MDLawn
05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
everything looks superb. are you going to stay in the business and try and make it a 8-5 job? so you have time with the fam?

Not sure what I really want to do. I really like the fact that I'm not mowing anymore (just 1 small account for a friend but he gives me tons of landscaping work). People have asked me about mowing but when I give a price people just laugh and say "I think I'll just stick with my current person". I would definitely like to be on the landscaping side only (maintenance non-lawn and installation) if I were to make a run. Just need to get more work. I know others will say mowing leads to other work and I do agree, but thats why EVERYONE mows. I'd mow if I had to but I wouldn't be actually ever doing it again if I could get enough accounts for someone to do it. I'm just going to see where this goes in the next couple years of pushing the advertising and decide then.

vinnieobrien
05-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Have you tried landing a few big mowing accounts just to fill your schedule ? And I wouldn't give high estimates just so they say no cuase then they might think your other wrk is high too. Maybe go commercial for mowing. And when a residential account calls explain that you don't do that. Or sub it out. Just an idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
05-03-2012, 02:33 PM
I dont give high estimates just so they say no, I just refuse to charge "what the market charges", and charge to make money and support my business in an effort to expand and support itself. This industry is 15 years behind itself when it comes to mowing. Equipment and everything has gone up but the prices keep dropping, I don't care how efficient the equipment has become. Not something I want to try and fight against right now. Also with my schedule the landscaping works out much better than mowing. Remember I want the focus of my business to be on landscaping NOT mowing. I'm done with trying to be the "jack of all trades" type of business. Some of the most successful guys on here offer all services or are focused on one thing. So each works, I'd just rather be rid of the mowing side. But if push comes to shove......

MDLawn
05-03-2012, 02:45 PM
they might think your other wrk is high too. Posted via Mobile Device

In all honesty if they think my mowing is too high then that type of customer doesn't fit into my plan anyways for landscaping, get my drift??? This isn't easy work, good equipment isn't free, and people cost money. People don't want to do their own landscaping or maintenance just because of that, hard work with junk equipment. Want good work...you better be prepared to pay for it. I dont hire the cheapest, but I know a lot of people and we trade or help each other. There are business out there who are cheap, not on purpose, and do good work. What do theyfind out? "Man this is a hard and expensive business to run and no one will accept my price increases so I just need to close the doors." They come and go all the time. I'm not looking to book hundreds of cheap jobs (landscape or mowing) and play the volume game and work from sun up to sun down. I'm looking for the elite person, this doesn't always mean mega rich, that will pay for the extra details and customer service. Have a consistent number of manageable customers. If they don't want that, in all honesty they'll just call everyone on their list of businesses anyways. I want referrals, then they know what they're getting into.

vinnieobrien
05-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Yeah I understand. My goals with this is to run 1-2 maintenance crews as focus on more installs and hopefully get into hardscapes and irrigation.
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
05-03-2012, 04:48 PM
I will say this. My fulltime gig, although fun, is getting old. I'm not looking to be the next landscape millionaire. 50k gross to me would do me well. I've got a sugar momma somewhat....

vinnieobrien
05-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Hahahahaha that's always a plus. I'm a college student. And 50 to 55 a year net pay would be nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
05-17-2012, 03:54 PM
I know I said I don't want to mow anymore but a friend's mower stopped working so I'm helping him out this year. It's an acre property and worth it. Sorry, my truck kept getting in the way.

LawnMan19
05-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Looks good man.

Mikegyver
05-17-2012, 09:33 PM
The reason we do not use the brown hardwood mulch (the reason we don't use it) is because theres so much dust and the chips are small. Yes it does decompose fast but thats not always good. The main issue is that it washes very easy and does not last like the larger chips.

MDLawn
05-17-2012, 10:24 PM
I prefer my mulches to be a combination of fines and "chip" material. Most customers that I've worked with do not like the look of just chips. I will say that a local supplier had a mulch product that was "triple ground" and was more like a fine dust material with very few chips. It looked good with initial application but turned into this very hard product. Almost like it had cemented itself together and created a shell over the landscape beds. Definitely did not like that product. A small mulch job I did the other day had the absolute perfect consistency of fines to chips. Very easy to spread and looked great. That's why I really dislike red mulches as all they tend to be is chip material. Luckily I haven't done a red job in years. With the "chippy" mulches i feel you need to remove so much of the previous years product to make a nice level surface to mulch on. But to each their own I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device

Doohboy24
05-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Very nice looking work. the pride just shows right through it all.

MDLawn
05-22-2012, 10:18 PM
some small edge & mulch jobs from today...

LawnMan19
05-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Mulching looks good man.

MDLawn
05-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Mulching looks good man.

Thanks. The first one with the black mulch looks much better in person. The picture isn't doing it any justice...

LawnMan19
05-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks. The first one with the black mulch looks much better in person. The picture isn't doing it any justice...

Anytime man... and I know what your saying somethings you gotta see in person to really get it.

MDLawn
05-27-2012, 10:54 AM
A small landscape bed creation for a family member. The rocks used were already on the property (as seen surround the trees in the background) and the bed will be filled with perrenials and annuals. The rocks have been collected on their trips over the many years so its pretty unique and personal for them. The compost blend used for the bed was an amazing product. Straight from the farm to you!!! Cannot wait to see it all filled up!

RLS24
05-28-2012, 02:56 PM
A small landscape bed creation for a family member. The rocks used were already on the property (as seen surround the trees in the background) and the bed will be filled with perrenials and annuals. The rocks have been collected on their trips over the many years so its pretty unique and personal for them. The compost blend used for the bed was an amazing product. Straight from the farm to you!!! Cannot wait to see it all filled up!

Have you had decent success with using actual compost to build up beds? I had a customer like 3 years that swore thats what he always used to build up his beds, and he had to do it every year cuz the compost would deteriorate over time and settle (couldnt tell him that though cuz his house was built on a giant sinkhole lol). So we did it, and then finally 2 years ago I talked him into using actual topsoil and then mulch on top....we havent been back since except to mulch the beds.

MDLawn
05-28-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm certain it will settle but with a perennial and annual bed that shouldn't be an issue. Plus it was their request. Its not so much a raised planter and will be stuffed with so many plants you wouldn't notice a drop I height.
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
05-31-2012, 12:45 PM
Just some mowing at a friend's place this morning. The front yard is a little bigger than the back. Of course everything shows up better and looks better in person.

MDLawn
06-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Just some fun at home, have taken down 7 pines so far (only been in here a short while) and have about a half dozen more trees needing to be removed. This one was too close to the house and my septic, and another was again to close to the house. Those blue spruces in the background are staying, the other trees needing removal are either damaged or just plain ugly!! Not bad for about 2 hours worth of time.

Classic Cuts Lawn Service
06-09-2012, 05:19 PM
More edging mulching. Also my little mule and the cart it pulls.

i like the mule and the little cart =D

MDLawn
06-09-2012, 05:25 PM
i like the mule and the little cart =D

I've upgraded to a thoroughbred, the little mule wasn't pulling it's weight. :laugh:

APLUS LAWN CARE
06-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Your work is really nice. Nice truck, by the way.

MDLawn
06-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Your work is really nice. Nice truck, by the way.

Thanks. I try to make sure things are done right. Thanks about the truck too.
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
06-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Pics of a recent job including edging, mulching, and that earlier planter bed. This landscape was installed by the owner so I can't take a bit of credit for it exept the edging, mulching, and the stone garden wall (which has held up quite nicely over the past few years) but it has so many interesting perrenials, annuals, and your traditional woody plants. I much prefer this type of landscaping vs. the more formal traditional woody plants shaped into cones, cylinders, and balls. That planter should look great once the perennials grow larger and they fill it in with more plantings!

On a side not my back is killing me from all the edging!! All the way around most of the house, that planter, and about 12 tree rings....ouch. The spade edge looks great but man it can be a killer!!

MDLawn
06-17-2012, 05:37 PM
one last pic

RLS24
06-18-2012, 09:31 PM
On a side not my back is killing me from all the edging!! All the way around most of the house, that planter, and about 12 tree rings....ouch. The spade edge looks great but man it can be a killer!!

Need to get a long-handled spade! True-Temper used to make one, but I havent seen them anywhere for a while.

MDLawn
06-19-2012, 08:19 AM
The one I have, which is a true temper, has a longer handle than my others. Still gotta bend, kneel, crouch, or whatever to get the edgings out.
Posted via Mobile Device

RLS24
06-19-2012, 09:44 PM
The one I have, which is a true temper, has a longer handle than my others. Still gotta bend, kneel, crouch, or whatever to get the edgings out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thats what I have employees for lol

MDLawn
06-19-2012, 10:12 PM
It's been real hard to get people to work. Everyone tells me "I want to work with you this year!". That's the last I hear from them.
Posted via Mobile Device

T Scapes
06-19-2012, 10:16 PM
It's been real hard to get people to work. Everyone tells me "I want to work with you this year!". That's the last I hear from them.
Posted via Mobile Device

amen to that i got friend sto work for a couple of weeks now its this and that they have to do and something that always pops up at 9pm the night before really starting to piss me off

MDLawn
06-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Not many have the work ethic these days. I know when I worked for my friend years ago I didn't have the "gotta get it done" factor of owning the business. But I still showed up and worked my tail off. I think in 5 years I called off twice. I couldn't find a better part time gig while in college. Hard work has go by the wayside with most but yet people claim they cant find work. I bet there are a lot of labor companies looking to hire. Sorry it's not white collar work but it is indeed a job. Ok rant done back to pictures and work comments
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
07-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Defintely not my favorite type of landscape job to do at all. This place was a mess. I pulled out a 7ft tall thistle that had a rootball that was like 4-5inches in diameter and had about 10 stalks, unreal. Was told it got away from them this year. This year? Really? I think the things I dislike about these jobs are that the actual landscape plants are such a mess from the weeds taking over that the final product is rarely as good as a normal landscpe maintenance job. Here are the befores and afters.

brandoncuts54
07-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Everything looks great man nice work! what kind of mower and handhelds do u use? put some pics up of some equipment!

MDLawn
07-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Thanks brandoncuts54. Well I only mow 3 lawns currently (moved this year) and not sure that's the direction I want to go again but we'll see. I use a 48 in Exmark Turf Tracer with a Proslide. Use Husqvarna handhelds. Hard to get everything out for just a picture, not to mention I need to clean it all!!! But basically I've posted my truck and dump trailer which is what I use. The rest is just small stuff that I'm not sure really needs to be in a picture, right?? I'd love to pick up a tractor or used skid steer but my workload does NOT permit that yet, but I'm sure I could find work for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnMan19
07-16-2012, 09:30 PM
That clean-up looks so much better...Good work man.

MDLawn
07-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Thanks lawn man.
Posted via Mobile Device

HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE
07-16-2012, 11:26 PM
That clean-up looks so much better...Good work man.

x2......................:cool2:

RLS24
07-17-2012, 09:25 AM
that looks pretty good considering what you had to start with...now all it needs is some green grass!

MDLawn
07-17-2012, 05:10 PM
I purposefully cropped the lawn out of the pictures as much as I could. It too had 1-2ft tall weeds in spots and i most of the cracks in the walk. Surprised they even wanted to pay for the landscaping. Maybe they're turning over a new leaf.
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
07-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Sod lawn installation from yesterday and today. Their lawn was torn up because of a sewer line replacement. Removed old lawn with a sod cutter. The development strip was completed but did not take a final picture. I actually like sod work and it tends to make me a good amount of money for the work. One thing, 130 sod rolls are HEAVY!! My lower back is not happy with me right now. Around here we have the 2' x 5' rolls. Sometimes I wish this place would offer the squares rather than the rolls. Oh well.

S-205
07-25-2012, 07:20 PM
Very nice, I did some sod today as well and I agree with you. Sod is fairly easy work, except what you said about the weight. I enjoy it too. Your truck is a V10 right, hows that running?

MDLawn
07-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks. Yep, back is still sore. Yes truck is a V10 and does well. Eats fuel but I like Fords and their recent diesels are not for me. Plus The deal on the truck was hard to pass up. It only had 24,9XX on the odometer when I got it last year. The dual rear wheel makes towing that dump feel like its not there besides needing to rev the engine. Would much rather have a dump truck though.
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
07-31-2012, 10:45 PM
Job from today. Originally we were supposed to take care of the entire pool area with sod but the sod was taken out of the job and only the stone around the pool. The lawn and landscaping should take place next year. Not very happy about this job just because the rest of the yard looks like hell. It is a new build house with a hydroseed lawn but the rain is non existent here and there are ZERO trees to help shade during the day. The ground was hard as a rock but turned out ok.

The few past jobs have been putting the machine bug into my head. I could finish these jobs in half the time with a mini loader or compact tractor and renting is a pain. Also save my lower back.... We'll see what's at the fair this year! I know it costs money but I'm getting too old for this pushin wheel barrow stuff in 80 degree sunny weather. For those who cry employees, A.) I'm not big enough, B.) The machine shows up each day without being hung over or some other wasteful excuse. Plus I feel it could open opportunities that are not there right now.

MDLawn
09-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Here's a link to my first adventure in hardscaping that I posted in the Hardscape section. Too lazy to upload photos to this thread. It was definitely a process and learning experience. Luckily my brother let me do this project for him and was totally cool with the rookie mistakes I made.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=349272

brandoncuts54
09-16-2012, 10:50 PM
That patio looks fricken awesome man!

MDLawn
09-17-2012, 09:55 PM
That patio looks fricken awesome man!

Thanks. Theres definitely A LOT of mistakes in it and it was quite the learning experience. If there is a next one it will be MUCH better....

MDLawn
09-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Here are some before and afters of my first hardscape project. Still needs topsoil, grass, landscaping. Learned A LOT with this one. Hardscaping is definintely something that takes more time and detail than some other landscaping projects. Looking forward to another and NOT making the same mistakes I did with this one. Good experience builder though.

MDLawn
09-20-2012, 08:20 AM
more.....

brandoncuts54
09-20-2012, 11:15 PM
lookin good man nice work!

MDLawn
10-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Found this little gem on craigslist. It's an older Parker leaf loader that this guy fabbed up a mount to make it a leaf blower too. I wasn't sure about it but it was in such immaculate shape and in a really nice wealthy neighborhood/house. It started on the 3rd pull and ran great. I have one property with a TON of leaves so this will come in hand loading them into the truck. If it only works out this year it will pay for itself on this property and then some. Just need to fab up some cheap piping to get it to load into the trailer or try and make some sort of mount for the tailgate.

MDLawn
10-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Here is that leaf loader after some adjustments. This is no "PRO" setup but I didn't want to spend any more money on this project so I used what I had laying around the garage. Since it came on wheels I'll just use that way for now and if this loader lasts I'll have someone fab up a mount for it. The leaf box, again using materials on hand, isn't large or fancy. I also need to have my mower in the trailer. I only have one property that really needs this set up so the small size will work just fine, I hope :). It works awesome and sucks up wet leaves without a problem. Being only 5hp I was skeptical but it sure sucks well. The impeller doesn't shred as well as the new units but to not have to use a tarp is priceless. Anyone know where to get those blades that some of the expensive units have, such as the "Piranha Blade" on the Billy Goat loaders? If this loader lasts a season or 10 it's fine with me. I'll recoup the costs on it but I feel it'll be around for a while.