PDA

View Full Version : big tex trailers opinions

rick wells
05-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Hi im looking at purchasing a big tex trailer, 22gn dually 20+5 but dont know anything about these trailers.

ACC_INC.
05-21-2011, 10:10 AM
They seem like very well built trailers, the only thing I noticed are they are HEAVY. This leads to less carrying capacity, and more dead weight. Some will argue that more weight = more steel = more durability and life. That all depends on use and abuse. All these heavy GN trailers should last a long time if they are loaded and unloaded properly. The big Tex here in FLA are also the most expensive. Hope you are using at least a dually 350/3500 to pull with. I have a 32' load trail, similar to PJ with a hydro dove tail, and I love the trailer. Weighs right in at 8000 lbs with a 24k gwr.

Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
05-21-2011, 06:41 PM
They make a good trailer but the paint jobs are hit or miss.
Posted via Mobile Device

LibertyFarmLandscaping
05-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Hi im looking at purchasing a big tex trailer, 22gn dually 20+5 but dont know anything about these trailers.

Living in NE Tx the trailer manufacturing capital of the US there are many cheaper options that are just as good or better for alot less price. All the manufactures surrounding the Big Tex factory in Mt. Pleasant are cheaper, and just as good or better quality. The owner of Big Tex has a huge mansion in Mt. Pleasant so he has to pay for it some how I guess.....

That being said I don't know what other trailer options you have in Canada.

THEGOLDPRO
05-21-2011, 11:31 PM
They are great trailers but like mentioned earlier are heavy as crap.

rick wells
05-22-2011, 07:50 AM
trailer opitions in canada are limited most trailers are imported. and then they jack up prices, Ive been looking at pj, loadmax and big tex .
big tex price is pretty good considering it is a low pro. loadmax is my other choice . and pj are nice looking but thay want to much for them.

poncho62
05-22-2011, 08:45 AM
I live at the other end of Ontario, but I know of at least 4 smaller trailer builders within a 1/2 hr of me........A trailer is a trailer, they all use common parts (axles, wheels etc).......Quality of assembly is what you are looking for.

ACC_INC.
05-22-2011, 08:58 AM
trailer opitions in canada are limited most trailers are imported. and then they jack up prices, Ive been looking at pj, loadmax and big tex .
big tex price is pretty good considering it is a low pro. loadmax is my other choice . and pj are nice looking but thay want to much for them.

The loadmax/load trail I have is an awesome trailer. I really like it. in the near future I am looking into buying another dump and a load max is top of my list. It is just a really good trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

OhioMowerGuy
05-23-2011, 12:41 AM
I bought a liberty trailer a week ago and like it. brakes on both axles LED lights, its nice

LibertyFarmLandscaping
05-23-2011, 07:11 PM
The loadmax/load trail I have is an awesome trailer. I really like it. in the near future I am looking into buying another dump and a load max is top of my list. It is just a really good trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes the loadmax is a better trailer than the Big Tex because it is lighter, but still heavy in the areas it needs to be. They are cheaper than the Big Tex here factory direct, I don't know about buying from a dealer. Load Trail's plant is about 25 miles from Big Tex's plant in Emory.

Kelly's Landscaping
05-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Actually I passed on them found them very light construction and I just couldn't hold my nose hard enough to buy one. Hard to accept 2 or 3 inch angle iron or round tubular construction when you have had custom made ones with 2 inch square tube rails and supports with 5 and 6 inch angle iron for the frame of the bed. I have seen my share or completely shot and worn out big tex trailers that were under 5 years old around here.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
05-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Actually I passed on them found them very light construction and I just couldn't hold my nose hard enough to buy one. Hard to accept 2 or 3 inch angle iron or round tubular construction when you have had custom made ones with 2 inch square tube rails and supports with 5 and 6 inch angle iron for the frame of the bed. I have seen my share or completely shot and worn out big tex trailers that were under 5 years old around here.

I would definitely go with a custom trailer when you have to pay a jacked up price for the assembly line trailers.

For what I buy them for I only pull them for 1 to 2 years and then sell them for break even or sometimes a little less according to steel prices, the economy, etc. However, I can buy them for almost half the price of a custom made since I live amongst all the manufacturers.

Ex: I had a 14 ft with 4 ft expanded metal sides, front box, weedeater rack, and radials appx 30% tread when I sold it this last winter. I paid $1825 out the door tt&l included new. I sold it 2 years old this winter for $1750 to a guy in Dallas, and kept the spare off of it.

I then ordered from the same manufacturer a 16 ft 2 ft solid sides, pipe top rail, bolt on front box, radials, spring assist gate, and ordered an extreme rack 3 place. I had the rack shipped to the manufacturer and welded on the trailer. Total out the door tt&l and rack $2035. So it would have cost me more to put new radials on the old trailer for the cost difference in the new trailer.

This is the 6th trailer I have done this way in the 13 years as an LCO.

Kelly's Landscaping
05-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Yea my 2 customs are running strong and look better the the new tex ones ones 9 years the others 10 years old. You get what you pay for big difference on a 5000 dollar trailer then a 2000.

rick wells
05-24-2011, 06:07 PM
the big tex 22gn in canda is $8700.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
05-25-2011, 10:00 PM
the big tex 22gn in canda is $8700.

Not sure the exact price from Big Tex outlet, but the average price here amongst all the manufactures for a dual tandem GN 22 + 5 dovetail is around $5000 to $5500. Longhorn in Emory, TX had about the best price around here last time I checked a few months back on goosenecks. If you Google Longhorn Trailers Emory, TX you could call them to see if they have any dealers in your area.

lazyike
12-21-2011, 02:46 AM
Big tex trailers suck, they are junk. We have a cascade custom 20' dump that we have used for 7 years now. it has held up well. We decided to buy another and bought a Big tex...... it lasted 6 days.. smaller loads than we had put on the cascade trailer they use stamp steel on everything and only stich weld the sides, the door hinges are stamped out as well. They would not stand behind their product. We were upfront with them and told them we were going to be hauling brush and logs, they said no problem. We are still using the cascade trailer the big tex is scrap metal $14,000 mistake.

justanotherlawnguy
12-23-2011, 08:45 PM
They are nice but expensive!!
Posted via Mobile Device

GravelyGuy
12-23-2011, 09:43 PM
I've had 2 of them. They are better than most.
Posted via Mobile Device