PDA

View Full Version : loaded guns!

sirsweatsalot
10-11-2002, 12:28 AM
well today out mowing the guy i work with was cutting grass next to a busy road. i was weed wacking. i wasn't there at the time but i noticed a guy pull up in his truck and not look real happy. i walked over to see what was going on and saw that the mower threw a rock out into to road where this guy was driving by and the rock went through the side of his pick-up. needless to say he was not happy about his new hole. but i was gald it was not a person!

Mow&Snow
10-11-2002, 12:46 AM
Sometimes it's easy to forget how much power these mowers have....

awm
10-11-2002, 12:48 AM
ive slung rocks so hard it was scary.
but i dont believe i ever sent anything out that would go thru the side of a pick up. not impossible ,but id be looking real hard to make sure hes not being scammed.yes theres some that would try it. seems hard to believe ,but ive seen people go all out to pull the con . hope the mower had insurance.

65hoss
10-11-2002, 06:46 AM
That is the beautiful thing about mulck kits.

Tony Harrell
10-11-2002, 06:55 AM
I haven't thrown any rocks since adjusting my deck to the proper cutting height. I can see probably throwing rocks if you're scalping the ground. Sometimes scalping is required I know as in the fall care of Bermuda but, I try to cut all of my lawns higher (3-4.5). I saw some guys cutting a shopping center yesterday and stopped to watch because they were kicking up some major dust clouds. This was very poor grass (where there was grass) and there were major bare areas with red clay and lots of rocks. They were cutting really close and I'm sure they threw some rocks. My blades would have been shut down over the bare areas or I'd avoid them but hey, I own MY equipment.

awm
10-11-2002, 07:07 AM
amazin what some people willdo with these mowers. ive wondered how they get thru a season without killing somebody.

rodfather
10-11-2002, 08:16 AM
A couple of years ago one of my guys had a rock come out from under his mower while mowing at the end of a customer's driveway. The rock went right through the windshield on an oncoming car (driver's side).

The woman driving the car was an Assistant Prosecutor in the county I live in and her husband is an attorney (well known, too).

Needless to say, I paid that out-of-pocket real quick like.

ProMo
10-11-2002, 08:31 AM
I just about laid some kid out mowing accross the street from one of my accounts last week hes mowing into the street by my truck and i got hit in the face by something the guy was an idiot

SLS
10-11-2002, 08:50 AM
The stupidist thing I have seen to date (relating to our profession) was the time I noticed a guy on a ZTR mowing at the top of a bank (ditch) while his helper was mowing down in the bottom with a 22". The guy on the ZTR had the discharge pointed towards the bottom of the ditch (instead of the street) and was obviously getting a huge kick out of 'spraying' his helper with clippings, dust, ect...because he was looking at the poor helper,...and LAUGHING HIS AZZ OFF! What was really amazing was that the discharge chute of the ZTR was LEVEL WITH THE HELPER'S HEAD AND LESS THAN 6 FEET FROM IT! I damn near had a stroke/heart attack just witnessing this 'major lapse in judgement'. :eek:

This bank/ditch was along side a main road in my neighborhood, and a corner lot with a 4-way stop sign at the corner...and we know how this is a prime spot for litterbugs to toss cans, bottles, ect. out of their car windows. Plenty of nice little jagged missles to choose from.......

I guess the dummy on the ZTR figured it was easier to cleanup a hole in his helper's head or replace his helper's eyeball...than it was to either 1) wait until his helper was finished down in the ditch or 2) blow the grass off of the street when he was finished.

If I was the 'helper' of that guy on the ZTR I would have added his teeth to the rest of the trash along the curb! No job is worth that kind of extremely dangerous abuse. :angry:

And we wonder why 'good' help is getting scarce. :(

Bill Davis
10-11-2002, 10:45 AM
that is the kind of stuff that makes us look unprofessional and stupid.

MikeLT1Z28
10-11-2002, 11:09 AM
i won't let anyway stand to the front of sides of my trimmer or to the side of my metro with the mulch kit off. i can't stand people blowing blowers at each other either. that air isn't filtered and some blowers being 700cfm and over 200 mph, i'd hate for impurities to get blown into someone's blood stream (same for air guns hooked to non-filtered compressor's in shops)

ProMo
10-11-2002, 01:52 PM
another thing with the blower im at an office blowing by the front door you cant see in because of the tinted glass but you can see out the looks i get when someone walks out and gets a face full of dust it should be obvious that im there blowing I felt bad but the manager said not to worry about it

Gravely_Man
10-11-2002, 02:33 PM
That is just frightening. You can't let you guard down for a minute or someone will get hurt. They is no other way to put it. You always have to think of the worse case scenario and what you can do to prevent damage/injury.

Gravely_Man

GreginAlaska
10-11-2002, 03:25 PM
How fast is the blade on some of the mowers? There are lots of rounds that will penetrate the side of a pick-up at 700 feet per second and the projectile isn't any bigger than a piece of gravel.

Maybe it did penetrate the guys truck

We had a worker that was rototilling with our Compact tractor and managed to throw a rock through a BIG plate glass window. EXPENSIVE!

KLMlawn
10-11-2002, 08:28 PM
The feet per second of the blade tips speed is about 300, that comes from the average speed of an 18" blade at 18,000 FPM, with the engine at 3600 rpm.
I do know that a small stone got caught up by one of my blades and shot about 35 ft and blew out the side window of a passing car, the insurance company paid it with no problem and my rate did not go up because of it, but I have learned not to open chute anything without the deflector down or mulch plate on.