PDA

View Full Version : Help with LED conversion for lights.

jonspolaris
05-21-2011, 08:21 PM
I have these tier lights along the sidewalk. They use a 11watt wedge bulb.

http://malibulights.com/products/tier_lights/details.aspx?item=8301-9200-01

I also have these spot lights on the house, they use a 20w mr16.

http://malibulights.com/products/flood_lights/details.aspx?item=8301-9602-01

For both lights is there LED equlivants (warm white) that I could install? I would like to reduce the electric bill a bit. Im in SE Michigan so a bit of heat from them would be good. They would never be on in the heat of the day.

thanks

S&MLL
05-21-2011, 08:57 PM
The leds you would put inside those fixtures would be worth 8 times what you paid for each one of those fixtures. Dont waste your time.

S&MLL
05-21-2011, 09:00 PM
I dont know if 8 times is right but you get the idea

jonspolaris
05-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Im not looking for ones that expensive. I have seen many LED Mr16's on Ebay that are quite reasonable. but many seem to long for my light fixture. There are also a lot of LED wedge bulbs for sale but not sure which one would work best.

starry night
05-21-2011, 11:25 PM
There are LED's and then there are LED's. Probably the cheap ones aren't worth your time and money. Might as well stick with the incandescent.

djt22
05-21-2011, 11:47 PM
If you don't have a spring loaded fixture from what i am finding you can not use a replacement LED MR-16 in that fixture due to bulb height.....

jonspolaris
05-22-2011, 08:44 AM
I contacted Malibu about which LED Mr16 I should get. They told me in June they will offer a LED mr16 for sale at Home Depot for these lights. I just hope there not too expensive, so they are cost prohitive based on energy savings.

S&MLL
05-22-2011, 09:29 PM
And im sure it will be a total pos like everything else they sell

Classic Lighting
05-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Jon
I think that you may have the wrong mind set for this forum. The majority of us are industry professionals. Malibu is a DIY brand and is not considered contractor grade. If your looking for lighting on EBAY to save some pennies, again, you have come to the wrong forum. We, as professionals, strive to better the industry buy utilizing quality components that come from reputable manufacturers. Quality costs more, plain and simple.
Posted via Mobile Device

David Gretzmier
05-24-2011, 02:32 AM
tell you what, if you wish, take a look at Lowes and Home depot for an LED mr-16. they have some that cost around 20-25 bucks each that are very close in size to a halogen mr-16. I have tried them and they work quite well. I am not sure how long they will last, as they have only been out for 16 months or so, but all of the ones I used for testing installed last year are still working. but since malibu mr-16 fixtures typically run around 8-10 bucks, It may not make sense for you to spend that much on a bulb.

they typically pull 6 watts so they will use 1/3 of the electricity for about the same amount of lumens.

I have been testing ebay bulbs for about 5-6 years now, and all of them 2 years and older have failed miserably in fixtures where they fit just fine.

there is not too many wedge LED bulbs I would reccomend, but try a few and see what happens. most of the ones on ebay are for auto DC applications, and don't work too well on AC. they are also fairly blue and not a pretty warm white color.

good luck.