PDA

View Full Version : Need a Tub Grinder

Dirtman2007
05-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Does anyone know of a place that rents a tub grinder in NC? I know their not the easiest thing to find but I'd like to rent one for a 8 acre clearing job I have.

Owner wants to clear everything off 8 acres and grind it all up then spread all the wood chips on the ground for errosion control.

Im trying to do all the job myself so I really dont wanna bring in another contractor to grind it all.

Or do you think it would be better to rent a big excavator with a mulcher on the end? nothing is over 10-12" in diameter and is all pine. I've got a logger thats gonna come in and get all the logs for pulp wood so all I'll have left is stumps and tree tops.

knox gsl
05-21-2011, 08:32 PM
I would look at getting a Fecon type machine unless you have to go deeper than 6" or so. Looks like it would be faster than a grinder mounted on a boom. I would also check into renting a grinder head for your Takki also if it has enough HP and flow.

Kepple Services
05-21-2011, 09:11 PM
You wont find somone to rent a grinder to you short term, the maintenance on them is to great and they are very tempermental.. All you can do is hire a grinding contractor to come in and do it for you. If all you are going to have is tops and stumps, use a fecon style mulcher. An hourly rate to hire someone with a tub or horizontal is in the $350-$450 an hour range. We have a Morbark 6600 horizontal on a 40 acre job right now grinding an orange grove. We are taking the mulch back to our yard and regrinding it with color and maknig a premium mulch out of it, in the neighborhood of 8000-9000 yards...