PDA

View Full Version : How would you....

djt22
05-21-2011, 10:23 PM
How would you light this house? Homeowner currently just wants to focus on the house only by way of up lighting. He has several 120volt par bulbs just blasting the front of the house.

Alan B
05-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Par 36 wells on each brick corner that has coining is a start, a Big Splash with a 20w bi pin and frosted lens (to wall wash upper garage bumpout, gutter mount Gentle Splash lights at each dormer. Convince him to illuminte some landscape to soften and add dimension. Uplight the Japanese Maple and upright cigar shaped (Cyprus/Cedar?). Both the dwarf and reg Japanese Maples can look great with lighting. Lastly some wide spread area lights like the Volt Max Spread (16'+ diameter of illumination) for the front bed and every 15' along the front walkway.

My 2 cents.

Good luck.

David Gretzmier
05-24-2011, 01:11 AM
uplighting 101- I count 10 uplights on home hard surfaces , probably 30 degree 20 watt mr-16's, and 3 gutter mounts on dormers with a small wall washer or 60 degree 20 watt mr-16. I agree with alan that this will really make the house lit up front and center, and uplighting the jap maple or other trees on the property will make the house look not so bright.

but it would be secure and make a good photo for a post card.

starry night
05-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Hey, I'm learning a lot according to those answers, I was thinking along the same lines particularly the building outside corners and uplighting the Japanese Maples. I'm not sure about the tall junipers because one, at least, has dead areas. Also, may I correct one thing. The brick effects on the corners are quoins. Thanks.