PDA

View Full Version : Check out this wall, what would you charge?

J&JLawncare1988
05-22-2011, 01:10 AM
Recently finished this wall. Versa-Lok standard units were used, along with the 18 inch cap. Wall is 112 feet end to end, at the base. A little over 4 foot tall at the top of the cap.

Im just curious as to what some of you guys would charge for this wall.

stuvecorp
05-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Those caps are way different then ours. Helpful tip - when stepping up or down split the block and caps so a textured face shows on the ends.

As for price, ballpark $10-15,000.

DVS Hardscaper
05-22-2011, 02:00 PM
way too busy to even think about what i would price it to be. We dont know length, height, yadda yadda yadda. Maybe $47,432???

But not too busy to notice those hideous little cuts on the corners......

nepatsfan
05-22-2011, 02:03 PM
way too busy to even think about what i would price it to be. We dont know length, height, yadda yadda yadda. Maybe $47,432???

But not too busy to notice those hideous little cuts on the corners......

Do you have trouble reading? He told you the length and the height. Maybe if you took your head out of your........nevermind

DVS Hardscaper
05-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Do you have trouble reading? He told you the length and the height. Maybe if you took your head out of your........nevermind

Are you gonna answer the man's question or not?

nepatsfan
05-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Many factors but if I had to ballpark(which I wouldn't if I was submitting a proposal) around 1/3 of your price.

Bru75
05-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Looks good, mostly. I don't like those little filler pieces on both sides of the steps. If you start at the steps and work your way out you can finish without those. Also, with versa-lok if you split the blocks for the ends you don't have to have the pin slots showing.
As far as price, there is nowhere near enough info given, but I would say at least $10,000.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
05-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Around here in the neighborhood of $10-$12K as long as excavation and access is descent.

J&JLawncare1988
05-22-2011, 09:08 PM
The reason I used the small filler pieces near the steps was to keep the blocks at the correct bond. DVS, thanks for the compliment on the corner cuts by the way.

How am I supposed to keep the blocks at the correct offset without cutting some smaller pieces? I'm somewhat new to walls, so I'll gladly take tips and advice.

J&JLawncare1988
05-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Oh yea forgot to ask, STL Ponds, are you located in the Eureka area? I saw one of your trucks going through downtown Eureka the other day when I was building this wall.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
05-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Oh yea forgot to ask, STL Ponds, are you located in the Eureka area? I saw one of your trucks going through downtown Eureka the other day when I was building this wall.

That was me I live in Eureka. Where did you build the wall at? When you build with steps or corners try to start at that point and work your way out. If you can't do that start to cut your block down within reason so you don't end up with small pieces to keep your bond lines in check.

Bru75
05-22-2011, 11:35 PM
The reason I used the small filler pieces near the steps was to keep the blocks at the correct bond. DVS, thanks for the compliment on the corner cuts by the way.

How am I supposed to keep the blocks at the correct offset without cutting some smaller pieces? I'm somewhat new to walls, so I'll gladly take tips and advice.

Depends on what correct means to you. If you want the blocks to break on the center of the one below, then the filler pieces probably will be necessary. With Versa-lok, I just use the offset created when you split blocks for the corners. This doesn't line up on center, but I think looks better than those little pieces.

JoeyDipetro
05-23-2011, 01:00 AM
Based on the info. you provided, approx. the $15,000 range.

J&JLawncare1988
05-23-2011, 01:01 AM
The house backs up to FF. They are building a pole barn in their back yard, which the wall is in front of.

joes169
05-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Looks pretty good to me, but here's a few things I do differently, only because you asked:

- We almost always run the sides of the stair wells plumb, with no batter. It keeps the wall mostly on half bond this way.

- We always run a 12" piece (approx) next to the 8" return on the corners. Doing so will keep you on half bond w/o those small pieces. I'd apply the same logic to the sides of the stair wells.

- The only thing left exposed on our Versa-Lok walls that isn't rack faced is the top of the cap. We flip the last block upside down, score in about 3/4" deep, and chisel the top off so the exposed end (about 3" tall depending on what cap you use) is rock faced.

- We also split the ends of the caps at every step so they match the front.

- We never use a block or cap less than 10 or 11". I prefer to take a small amount off of several block rather than throw a small piece in. It's just a fundamental I've picked up through my years in masonry I guess.

With all that said, I still think the wall looks good, and better than many "Professional" attempts I've seen before. Even your little pieces will blend in better eventually, when the saw dust is washed off of them.

OutdoorCreations
05-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Looks good! I priced a very similar wall a few weeks ago. Mine was 115' long and 39" high with two sets of steps. I quoted the same material (Versa-Lok). My number was just under 15k.

So what was your price?

J&JLawncare1988
05-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Looks good! I priced a very similar wall a few weeks ago. Mine was 115' long and 39" high with two sets of steps. I quoted the same material (Versa-Lok). My number was just under 15k.

So what was your price?

Price was just under 10 grand.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
05-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Price was just under 10 grand.

This market has been ruined for hardscapes. I said $10-12K for this job but it should be closer to $15K in a fair market. Logistically this job was great, supplier 1 mile down the road and a quarry 2-3 miles down the road. Assuming he used these suppliers. The bigboys could be in and out in a few day's staging wise. Good job though!

J&JLawncare1988
05-24-2011, 11:29 AM
This market has been ruined for hardscapes. I said $10-12K for this job but it should be closer to $15K in a fair market. Logistically this job was great, supplier 1 mile down the road and a quarry 2-3 miles down the road. Assuming he used these suppliers. The bigboys could be in and out in a few day's staging wise. Good job though!

I was able to give him a pretty good deal because most of the excavation was done when they cut into the hillside for the pole barn. All I had to do was dig the footing which didn't take long at all. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the homeowner paid for all the equipment rental on his account up at Eureka Rental. So I figured my price at $9,800 was pretty decent.

DVS Hardscaper
05-24-2011, 11:41 AM
This market has been ruined for hardscapes. I said $10-12K for this job but it should be closer to $15K in a fair market.

And this is why we went from hardscapes accounting for 80% of our sales to 28%.

Posted via Mobile Device

J&JLawncare1988
05-24-2011, 12:03 PM
And yes, I got the blocks from Kirkwood, which was right up the street, and screening and gravel for backfill was already on site because they were using it for the pole barn they were building. All I had them do was order some extra for the wall.

PatriotLandscape
05-24-2011, 07:14 PM
So what are you selling more of these days?

Fortunately our area is still growing. Net is down around 5% but sales are up. We are 80% construction and 90% of that is pavers and walls.