PDA

View Full Version : Starting fires with Scag Cougar!

weedwoop
10-11-2002, 01:01 AM
Just a little warning in case someone else is as dumb as I. In the past week I have set two piles a smoking by backing my Cougar into them to dump the box. In the first case, I was picking up a lot of dry grass that had been cut a couple weeks before, but the next day, I was cutting high lush grass with leaves mixed in and it had rained two hours before, so it was not at all that dry. I was able to stomp out the first one, but had to spray water on the second to get it out. The Scag's muffler is located on the right side below the collection box and if you back in to far it gets buried in the pile.Seems like Scag could do some redesigning there. I have not seen a Walker in person, so don't know if they have the same set up. Starting to get a little jumpy about dumping in my trailer. Has anyone else delt with this problem?

MOW ED
10-11-2002, 07:19 AM
Walkers exhaust is down there also and if you back it in you will be able to cause a fire. BTW if that Cougar burns up you really should look at a Walker.

mdb landscaping
10-11-2002, 07:55 AM
i started a fire with a fradan walkbehind blower because of the muffler being mounted low like you stated. I stomped it out somehow, but it was scary. Got to watch those low mounted mufflers. Somebody started a thread awhile back about fires, and the first thing i did was go out and buy a fire extinguisher. Cost $10.

ProMo
10-11-2002, 08:49 AM
my edger caught on fire last week first the exhaust bolts broke off in the cylinder and it was a bit loud so i took an old dead echo string trimmer motor i had laying in my truck box and switched cylinders to make a long story short i put it together and went to start it and poof walked it to the house i was at and squirt it with water luckily only the end of the fuel line was burnt. The plug wire on it was arcing spark every were so i pulled the cylinder off again replaced the coil and now this 10 year old edger with a 15 year old cylinder has more power than it ever had

Jimbo
10-11-2002, 05:46 PM
I have gotten a few twigs stuck between the frame and exhaust. It never started a fire but it smelled like there was a fire. Man thats the worst smell in the world.
Here I am cutting a commercial prop that has a building on it worth about 6 Million dollars, and I think I set the place on fire. Not a good feeling.

Im carry a fire extinguisher now.

Jim