PDA

View Full Version : Paver edging, plastic or concrete

Superior L & L
05-22-2011, 01:37 PM
We have always used store bought pastic paver edge. Over the last couple of years i have seen more and more people using quick crete. Ive always hated plastic paver edge and am considering changing. What are the pro and cons of concrete and would i sand and compact then concrete or concrete let it set up then sand and compact.

DVS Hardscaper
05-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Never use plastic. The suns heat warps it like vinyl siding.

Use SnapEdge, its nylon.

Concrete is not good long term. A bag of concrete is $2.50. a stick of SnapEdge is $10.00.

With the recession people will use whatever is cheaper.

Within the past few months I started a topic about My findings of the negative longterm effects of using concrete for edging. Do a search on my user name to read it.

Posted via Mobile Device

Superior L & L
05-22-2011, 03:13 PM
I've always used snap edge. But it seems to start pulling away over years and gets dirt between it and the brick.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
05-22-2011, 06:40 PM
been using SnapEdge for 15 years. never had such a problem.

How far apart are you spacing the spikes??

Superior L & L
05-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Every third hole

DVS Hardscaper
05-22-2011, 08:58 PM
thats more than we do!

AztlanLC
05-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Snap edge around my area has gone down the drain their thickness is not what it use to, we use permaloc aluminum and less $$
I have seen also many contractors using concrete it cracks and fails, same happens with improperly installed edging, make sure it sits flat.

zedosix
05-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Snap edge around my area has gone down the drain their thickness is not what it use to, we use permaloc aluminum and less $$
I have seen also many contractors using concrete it cracks and fails, same happens with improperly installed edging, make sure it sits flat.

I complained about that exactly over 2 yrs ago and even called the owner or snapedge and had a chat with him. They did reduce the bulkiness and thereby the strength and rigidity suffered big time, but just this season they went back to the old "recipe" and its just like it was 10 yrs ago. Try it again, you should be happy with it.

The main reason it is pulling up and out is likely one of tthree things, the nails you are using are probably not galvanized, they could be common nails which rust, then the frost lifts it and it stays. Or you don't have the sides excavated quite enough and compacted hard. Also should be sitting at least 1/2" to 3/4" below top of the brick.

DVS Hardscaper
05-25-2011, 08:08 PM
The main reason it is pulling up and out is likely one of tthree things, the nails you are using are probably not galvanized, they could be common nails which rust, then the frost lifts it and it stays. Or you don't have the sides excavated quite enough and compacted hard. Also should be sitting at least 1/2" to 3/4" below top of the brick.

I agree 110%. I was gonna type that the other night, but I didnt have the time to get into all that.

We have always used galvanized spikes. I remember about a year or so ago we got into quite a debate about galvanized vs common :weightlifter:

zedosix
05-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Every third hole

agreed, we sometimes go every two on sharp curves

vtscaper
05-27-2011, 09:00 PM
can someone explain the concrete method? im curious..