PDA

View Full Version : Another name that weed thread.

knox gsl
05-22-2011, 08:26 PM
I've gotten a new grassy weed in my yard this year an I am not sure what it is and how to handle it. Last year I put down 3 rounds of Dimension (mid spring, summer and fall) and this took out my crab grass problem. I overseeded late march and have held off on Dimension till 2 weeks ago but I don't think this is a form of crabgrass. It has also had 2 rounds of Impreliss Last week and a month ago.

The weed has a bright green leaf, grows similar to crab grass, and grows nearly twice as fast as the fescue around it. I am wanting to know how to get rid of it. My first thought was crabgrass but is different than what was there before. Another thought is wheat but haven't used straw in the lawn.

My lawn is TTTF and I've been using JDL transitions blend.

Mowbizz
05-24-2011, 05:22 PM
I have heard of something I think is called "Sawyer Grass" that "looks like grass but grows much faster resulting in and uneven look in a couple days...ever heard of this?

MajesticUSA
05-24-2011, 07:52 PM
I'd say its nutgrass... Threeway weed killer like EliminateD wont kill it because it's a grass and RoundUp (Quickpro) will kill it but also kill you lawn. The best option is a herbicide called Manage, it will kill just the nutgrass. Just make sure you mix it perfectly and only spray it lightly.

Dr.NewEarth
05-24-2011, 09:52 PM
We get some-thing that looks like that up here in the spring. If it's in a high profile area
and only a few clumps, just dig it out with a hand shovel and reseed the spot.
Ours disapears when it gets warm, like the poa annua. But it comes back again
in the spring

Joshuakwhit
05-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Its called Orchardgrass. Nothing but Glysophate will kill it and no pre-emergent will keep it out!

knox gsl
05-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Its called Orchardgrass. Nothing but Glysophate will kill it and no pre-emergent will keep it out!

That's what I've found out. The area that I live in was all dairy pasture for most of the early 1900's and this was a common grass to plant around here.

I think I will be mowing the lawn short and use a wick apllicator with RU on it. This grass grows more than twice as fast as fescue so that should work well.