PDA

View Full Version : My homemade chute deflector...the FrankenFlapper!


OmegaRed
05-23-2011, 01:44 PM
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz100/jakedesnake48/35946818_photobucket_3792_.jpg

clean_cut
05-23-2011, 05:57 PM
It looks pretty awesome man! I love the name too lol. Show some picts of it in action :)

jhouchins
05-23-2011, 06:25 PM
I have been wanting to make on of those. Looks nice.

flyingdutch16
05-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Wow that looks very nice. Way better then mine haha.

Scag413
05-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Very nice, I like it. How much did it cost to make it?

THEGOLDPRO
05-23-2011, 07:31 PM
looks pretty dope, take some closer pics for us.

Donald A
05-23-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm liking that flap.
How about some detailed pictures and a rundown on how you made it.
That would look good on my ZD 331.

bobcat48
05-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Looks great,very nice!

tailboardtech
05-24-2011, 12:01 AM
looks good man i just built one for mine last week during all the rain

kludgemonkey
05-24-2011, 03:00 AM
Come on, post some closer up picks and some of it in action. Would love to hear how you made it and what you think of it. Is there anything you would do different?

OmegaRed
05-24-2011, 08:26 AM
First, I mocked up some cardboard for the actually flap.

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz100/jakedesnake48/2011-05-04_17-24-30_981.jpg

sheet metal:
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz100/jakedesnake48/2011-05-04_17-38-07_945.jpg

fired up the trusty "precision" welder lol
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz100/jakedesnake48/2011-05-04_17-38-15_744.jpg

I cut out some arms for the main pin to go through. I just tried to loosely mimic the ones that were welded to the deck. Obviously the shape need changed a little.
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz100/jakedesnake48/2011-05-04_18-33-59_375.jpg

I welded some angle iron (off of an old bed frame) to the top for support. I don't think it needed it but I figured spent the extra ten minutes in this step instead of repairing later...
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz100/jakedesnake48/35946818_photobucket_676_.jpg

checking fitment and make sure it opens wide enough (it didn't here...)
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz100/jakedesnake48/35946818_photobucket_677_.jpg

some R & D -OPEN (also painted. For those wondering, I used a "Chevy Orange" after about 2 other tries, this matches really close). Also, you can notice the handle isn't finished at this point
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz100/jakedesnake48/2011-05-20_11-20-26_600.jpg

CLOSED:
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz100/jakedesnake48/2011-05-20_11-20-41_264.jpg

OmegaRed
05-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Very nice, I like it. How much did it cost to make it?

I have about fifteen bucks worth of primer, paint and misc. bolts. I had everything else. I used old bed frame rails for the small angle iron. The main "post/beam" is pretty heavy angle iron. Check around at scrap yards etc. if you don't have some. Obviously my time as well. I'm not a professional fabricator, so I had like 6 hrs involved over a few days between fabricating and testing it. I've ran it for about 10 hrs so far with no hiccups. It needs adjustments eventually when mowing slows down.

Come on, post some closer up picks and some of it in action. Would love to hear how you made it and what you think of it. Is there anything you would do different?

I'll try to get some of it in action, I have been taking all these off my camera phone. I'll try to get a video. As mentioned above, I need to fiddle a bit with the "stop points" - i.e. fully open, half, closed. I have a hole drilled in the main post/beam, and plan on making some type of small nipple with a compression spring between the handle and the beam. Then you can just move it out, adjust, then when it comes to normal position the nipple will go in the hole and hold it. Also eventually I'm sure I am going to need some heavier duty rod connecting the chute flap to the handle. Right now I have some all-thread which works, but if you were going to let workers use it, I doubt it would last too long if they were slamming it around as only workers can...

OmegaRed
05-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Excuse the horribly dirty mower...we've been fighting torrential rains here in Northern Ohio and this was in between days of mowing, so it was dirty.

First, I mocked up some cardboard for the actually flap.

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz100/jakedesnake48/2011-05-04_17-24-30_981.jpg

sheet metal:
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz100/jakedesnake48/2011-05-04_17-38-07_945.jpg

fired up the trusty "precision" welder lol
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz100/jakedesnake48/2011-05-04_17-38-15_744.jpg

I cut out some arms for the main pin to go through. I just tried to loosely mimic the ones that were welded to the deck. Obviously the shape need changed a little.
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz100/jakedesnake48/2011-05-04_18-33-59_375.jpg

I welded some angle iron (off of an old bed frame) to the top for support. I don't think it needed it but I figured spent the extra ten minutes in this step instead of repairing later...
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz100/jakedesnake48/35946818_photobucket_676_.jpg

checking fitment and make sure it opens wide enough (it didn't here...)
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz100/jakedesnake48/35946818_photobucket_677_.jpg

some R & D -OPEN (also painted. For those wondering, I used a "Chevy Orange" after about 2 other tries, this matches really close). Also, you can notice the handle isn't finished at this point
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz100/jakedesnake48/2011-05-20_11-20-26_600.jpg

CLOSED:
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz100/jakedesnake48/2011-05-20_11-20-41_264.jpg