PDA

View Full Version : Geraniums

RICK FRAZIER
10-11-2002, 12:44 PM
I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT YOU CAN CUT BACK GERANIUMS IN THE FALL AND STORE THEM IN A COOL DARK PLACE UPSIDE DOWN AND SOAK EVERY 6 TO 8 WEEKS IN WATER FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS UNTIL SPRING AND THEN THE PLANTS WILL COME BACK FOR THE NEXT SEASON. IS THIS TRUE OR NOT?

1MajorTom
10-11-2002, 01:20 PM
Check out this link.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1217.html

Further down the page you will see where it talks about hanging geraniums from the rafters. To find out if this method will be successful for you (depending upon the humidity), you need to give it a try.
Good luck

Evan528
10-11-2002, 02:35 PM
Gernaium are cheap enough...Why would you go through all that hassle to savr them from year to year?:confused:

greenman
10-11-2002, 10:46 PM
I dont know about the overwintering thing. Too much trouble, just buy new ones every year. I plant mine in the ground with the pots still on them. Geraniums, unlike some other plants, like to be root bound, sort of. If yu let the roots spread out, they hardly flower, but if the roots are contained (kept in the same pot,not transplanted to a bigger pot) they will flower tremendously. Just try it next season and see.:) Just be sure to dig them up in the winter/fall.

Mark50
10-12-2002, 11:27 AM
:blob1:
Not to start an arguement about geranium culture but. You should not plant them in the pot. Rather in well amended soil. Geraniums will produce a flower when the plant has enough energy to do so. The best way to insure plenty of flowers is to keep them well fed and watered as well as deadheaded. Geraniums are fairly heavy feeders. There are many new varieties that are self-branching and compact and will produce flowers constantly. They do suffer from high heat in the middle of the summer but as soon as the weather moderates the flowers will return.
Mark
:blob3:

Russ
10-14-2002, 05:43 AM
I dig mine up in the fall. Clean off the dirt & store on newspaper in the basement over the winter. Replant next year.