PDA

View Full Version : Upper Level Lighting

Richie@
05-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Hello Folks,

Have any of you used that Mini Flood Light from volt for upper levels or gutter mount.

Richie

The Lighting Geek
05-23-2011, 08:02 PM
I use them all the time to light second story targets, ie: gables. I use my own mount and an LED lamp.

Richie@
05-23-2011, 08:23 PM
The one in the video looks like a sporty looking fixture.
Tommy is the mount something you made yourself or a purchased item.

Thanks

The Lighting Geek
05-23-2011, 08:37 PM
it really depends on the situation. I have used gutter mounts and others we fabricated for the specific job. Gutter mounts would probably be best for most common applications.

Mark B
05-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Are you mounting them to the side of the gutter, so the fixture is hanging off the side of the gutter? Also would post a picture of it? I just did a job doing the same thing, with a different name fixture. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richie@
05-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Anyone care to recommend a supplier of a descent Gutter Mount Bracket.

Thanks

Richie

Alan B
05-24-2011, 12:10 AM
We are working on a bracket for gutters and would love input and advice. Contractor input will be incorporated into the design.

We are also working on a new classification of fixtures specifically for roof lines (low profile, color matched to trim and gutters and roofs).

Sincerely,

Mark B
05-24-2011, 12:17 AM
I used the unique gutter mount. But in my case I would like something simple. The finish matched the fixture, but not the gutter. The most important part is the customer was real happy. One this job I did somethings that I would normally not do. I will get some pics..
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark B
05-24-2011, 12:21 AM
I did get 2 fixtures from Landscape lighting world that I was happy with.
Posted via Mobile Device

David Gretzmier
05-24-2011, 02:20 AM
I have welded several gutter mounts together, but my latest gutter mount method is very simple and easy- 1/2" thick cypress, boards are 4" wide and we cut them to fit whatever gutter we are working on. cedar would also work here. I use a 3 1/2" hole bronze plate cover with 1/2" stainless screws so the fixture just threads in the middle opening with plugs in the other 2. I have also used the two outer holes when I have done a double fixture, but kinda tricky. the 1/2" wood fits nicely in the front lip of most gutters, and if cut properly clicks into place in the back, and we add a screw or two for support in the back.

while this may sound complicated, it is relatively cheap, works well, and once you've done a few you can do these in 10 minutes or less.

Richie@
05-24-2011, 08:13 AM
We are working on a bracket for gutters and would love input and advice. Contractor input will be incorporated into the design.

We are also working on a new classification of fixtures specifically for roof lines (low profile, color matched to trim and gutters and roofs).

Sincerely,

Are the Volt fixtures UL listed.

Thanks

niteliters
05-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Anyone care to recommend a supplier of a descent Gutter Mount Bracket.

Thanks

Richie

coppermoon

Alan B
05-24-2011, 06:30 PM
Are the Volt fixtures UL listed.

Thanks
No but every fixture is actually at the ETL lab now and will be very shortly (I'm hoping weeks). We paid for both US and Canada listings.

Mark B
05-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Hey Chris, would you happen to have any pictures of there gutter mount? I looked on there site I could not find one.. Thanks Mark

Oh boy here we go again with the UL stuff. Someone pass me a drink.

Richie@
05-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Hey Chris, would you happen to have any pictures of there gutter mount? I looked on there site I could not find one.. Thanks Mark

Oh boy here we go again with the UL stuff. Someone pass me a drink.

I knew an Electrical contractor not long ago that was buying circuit breakers from china with no UL listing an he got his A-- in a ringer when a circuit breaker panel caught on fire it also brought the city Inspectors on him for past jobs he did that had permits and now they want to reinspect those jobs , also the NEC requires UL listings for Low Voltage fixtures an components.

Be careful.

Richie

Mark B
05-25-2011, 07:01 PM
I might be wrong, but I think that the UL stuff has gone on with LLW in the past.

I understand your point for sure.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-26-2011, 08:03 AM
No but every fixture is actually at the ETL lab now and will be very shortly (I'm hoping weeks). We paid for both US and Canada listings.

Hey that is great news Alan! I hope to be able to sample your line soon. I'm glad you are pursuing the cETL listings. (just be ready for some interesting max wattage restrictions as the fixtures will have to pass a heat test in order to obtain the 'c' listing. Typically, take a bullet fixture for instance, the same fixture that can accomodate a 35W lamp in the USA will be limited to only 20W here. it ends up being a labeling issue.)

Richie@
06-05-2011, 12:39 PM

Sincerely,

Hi Allen,

Any updates on the Gutter Bracket.

Thanks

drewguy
06-06-2011, 11:51 AM
I have welded several gutter mounts together, but my latest gutter mount method is very simple and easy- 1/2" thick cypress, boards are 4" wide and we cut them to fit whatever gutter we are working on. cedar would also work here..

How well does the cypress weather (i.e., last)?

Alan B
06-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Hi Allen,

Any updates on the Gutter Bracket.

Thanks
Just in prototyping -- it will be many months (5-6+) before available. First design, then CAD, then changes, then manu new mold, then first production protoypes and test, then production and submit to ETL for approvals. Right now we are in CAD. Still looking for input, ideas so we can make sure best of breed suggestions are incorporated into the initial design.

S&MLL
06-06-2011, 08:38 PM
While you wait for LLW to make one. Go buy a unique one for 12 bucks. Or call coppermoon. They have a very beefy unit but is a pita to work with imho

Alan B
06-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Let me clarify-- we are not working on a "gutter mounting bracket" but new line of fixtures specifically designed for illuminating roof lines. We think there is a void for this application that needs to be filled. Fixtures that are very low profile, slim, color matched to roofs with lead wire that is color matched gutters/trim (aka white). They will happen to include gutter mounts and mounts for attaching to shingles/tile.

We are trying to make the same fixtures with alternative optional brackets that enable them to be mounted off the gutter but hang down under the gutter and act similar to soffit lighting (wall washing down from the gutter). Both versions will be integrated LED fixtures. The purpose is:
1. to illuminate the roofs and roof lines
2. wall wash facades
3. Do the above two tasks in a dark sky friendly manner
4. Use less light, less electricity, but illuminate more (by not wasting much of the light as is done with traditional up lighting aimed into the sky)
5. Have fixtures mounted off the ground where it is a better environment for fixture longevity (away from continual ground moisture, chemicals, dirt, sprinklers, insects, physical abuse, etc).
6. Encourage more downlighting to break-up the general over use of exclusive up lighting (i.e. add a new dimension to the scene).
7. Due to the nature of the installation (high and on the roof line structure) we think it could be a good application for contractors.

Mark B
06-07-2011, 01:51 PM
This will be nice. The last 2 small jobs I have done, I needed some type of white gutter mounting braket for the fixtures. I had to use the unique gutter mount with a matching small fixture, it looked ok, but I think a white fixture would have been alot better. I found it hard to mount it secure, since the way I need to mount it. Cheers