PDA

View Full Version : Top Soil Source In Baltimore County?

DVS Hardscaper
05-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Anyone recommend someone to call for screened top soil?

We'll be wrapping up a job in Cockeysville and will need a supplier that can bring screened top soil in 15 cubic yard increments (tandem or Tri-axle).

Any lurkers out there that can recommend someone, pls reply to this thread or shoot me a private message.

Thanks!

Strmwtr85
05-23-2011, 11:12 PM
Hollins Organics http://www.hollinsorganic.com/index.php?page=bulk-products in Cockeysville is pretty decent we have used them a few times. They are off of Beaver Dam Road by the Texas Station Quarry.

DVS Hardscaper
05-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Hollins Organics http://www.hollinsorganic.com/index.php?page=bulk-products in Cockeysville is pretty decent we have used them a few times. They are off of Beaver Dam Road by the Texas Station Quarry.

Nice! I'll check them out, thats about 5 miles from where we're working, which is perfect if we're 5 yds short.

Thanks!

BTW - those people at the Texas Station Quarry - are impersonable!! After scheduling a delivery for the start of 200 tons, I called back and cancelled the delivery and went with Patuxent.

JoeyDipetro
05-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Nice! I'll check them out, thats about 5 miles from where we're working, which is perfect if we're 5 yds short.

Thanks!

BTW - those people at the Texas Station Quarry - are impersonable!! After scheduling a delivery for the start of 200 tons, I called back and cancelled the delivery and went with Patuxent.

Is that really a word?

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
05-24-2011, 01:08 AM
Is that really a word?

Enough to get the point across in my book.

Strmwtr85
05-24-2011, 09:37 AM
LaFarge tends to be like that on the phone, you should try ordering ready mix from them thats an even more fun experience. Still as a life long PA resident, overall most places down this way are much easier to deal with then the quarries I used to deal with up north.

bmoorefield
05-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Hollins Organic is probably your best option, Wirzt & Daughters (410-679-6700) is a little more east but it might be worth the phone call to check a price.

tailboardtech
05-24-2011, 06:07 PM
if you already have an account with patuxent they have topsoil also i have gotten a tandem load from them it was nice soil too. if not Hollands is decent stuff it can be clumpy though. are you doing the wall at the new ag center by chance?

DVS Hardscaper
05-24-2011, 06:48 PM
if you already have an account with patuxent they have topsoil also i have gotten a tandem load from them it was nice soil too. if not Hollands is decent stuff it can be clumpy though. are you doing the wall at the new ag center by chance?

Damn, all kinds of good information from everyone!

I do have a good thing going with Patuxent, for the job we been working on they've assigned a driver to us, whom I do like.

We did a residential job and will be finishing up this coming week.

We also just put the pools to an end at the old Swim Club on Baubitz Rd in Resiterstown.

DVS Hardscaper
06-07-2011, 11:55 PM
Thanks again guys.

We ended up going with Patuxant.

I called Hollins, but they only have single axles and I didn't want to have to wait for them to do two rounds, stop for lunch, then do 2 more.

Man oh man, top soil is expensive in that part of the world! The quality was great.

Patuxant said the loads are 15 cu yds., but I'd swear each load was 20 yds.

bmoorefield
06-17-2011, 10:20 AM
DVS, where is Patuxant located for my own future reference?

DVS Hardscaper
06-17-2011, 12:11 PM
DVS, where is Patuxant located for my own future reference?

You know what, I'm not sure! I'm thinking Catonsville, but I may be wrong.

Posted via Mobile Device

tailboardtech
06-17-2011, 11:29 PM
its full name is patuxant materials they are based in crofton they have a shop at blue mount quarry and one in sykesville that i know of

DVS Hardscaper
06-18-2011, 12:18 AM
I know when they delivered to Reisterstown, it took Patuxant about 20 minutes to get from the quarry to the job site.

When we worked in Cockeysville, it took about 40 minutes to get from the quarry to the job site. And Lafarge was about 10 minutes away, and Patuxent's gravel pricing was better!

A Patuxant driver told me that the top soil is imported to their Baltimore Co quarry from Waldorf, and they screen it in Balt. Co. It was nice top soil. Here in Frederick County we have a beloved top soil supplier. They run clay soil through a screener, they mix in old mulch or compro and sell it as screened top soil. The owner of the company I have known since 1988 and he's a really good guy and I'm amazed at the operation he has built........cept I'm not very tickled with their screened top soil.

Marek
06-21-2011, 07:15 PM
You could try Hollins Organic off of Falls Rd

DVS Hardscaper
06-21-2011, 07:24 PM
You could try Hollins Organic off of Falls Rd

In our case, the problem with Hollins Organic is that they only have single axle trucks for delivery. That takes too long!

bigslick7878
06-21-2011, 10:08 PM
C.D. Thomas

512 Earls Road
Baltimore, MD 21220-1615
(410) 335-5951