PDA

View Full Version : Patio estimate?

ConnorMike
05-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Just got this new customer who will be giving me alot of work. I want to take care of the guy, but also want to put some $ in my pocket.

This is my first patio installation, I have done lots of research on the actual install. I don't know how to charge him.

Attached are the dimensions

ConnorMike
05-23-2011, 11:20 PM
BTW he wants me to trim these "oriental" bushes. I also have no clue what to charge

shovelracer
05-24-2011, 06:38 AM
Sounds like you are out of your league, but you need to start somewhere. If you really want to learn and do the work. I suggest this. Be 100% honest with the guy and tell him flat out you have no idea what you are doing. Then explain you are willing to learn and will try to do a good job. Then come up with some sort of hourly rate for your time. Next call your insurance company if you have one and tell them you are going to be doing some construction work. Odds are very high that if you give out a fixed price it will cost one of you some money. Materials + Labor is going to be the fairest route.

Smallaxe
05-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Save yourself "Sales Tax" issues and agree to give him materials 'at cost' and set a price for labor at an hourly rate... Are you going to be cutting a lot of pavers with that hourglass design?

ConnorMike
05-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Sounds like you are out of your league, but you need to start somewhere. If you really want to learn and do the work. I suggest this. Be 100% honest with the guy and tell him flat out you have no idea what you are doing. Then explain you are willing to learn and will try to do a good job. Then come up with some sort of hourly rate for your time. Next call your insurance company if you have one and tell them you are going to be doing some construction work. Odds are very high that if you give out a fixed price it will cost one of you some money. Materials + Labor is going to be the fairest route.

Theres no doubt I am out of my league, like you said though I have to start somewhere. I was upfront when he asked about the pavers, He knows I havent done it before. M + L is what I was thinking as well. Thanks

ConnorMike
05-24-2011, 09:04 AM
@smallaxe I knew I would have to cut pavers, but now that you mention the hourglass design. I am starting to reconsider this project. Not really sure how the design would go w/out screwing it up

White Gardens
05-24-2011, 09:33 AM
You just need some confidence, Pavers are somewhat forgiving. Always make sure when you order your pavers that you order some extra in case you make some cuts that just don't turn out right. All you have to do is replace them and cut again.

Just keep in mind if you are doing it yourself it will take some time to do also. And also do your homework on how to do the base correctly for the pavers for longevity.

And I want to give props to Shovelracer and Smallaxe. 9 times out of 10 on this site you would have gotten the response of "Sub it out to someone who knows what they are doing" response.

Big Jake
05-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Go for it! You'll never learn if you dont try. Make it look great and add it to your portfolio.

ConnorMike
05-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the advice....... I'll keep you updated

shovelracer
05-24-2011, 10:53 PM
And I want to give props to Shovelracer and Smallaxe. 9 times out of 10 on this site you would have gotten the response of "Sub it out to someone who knows what they are doing" response.

Only because he admitted he did not know how to charge, but did not ask "how much" to charge. I've seen patios done by first and only timers last 15+ years. I have also seen work by "pros" fall apart within a year. Everyone had a first patio. My first patio I was left at the job some 15 years ago by my boss with a pile of gravel, a stack of bagged sand, a few pallets of pavers, some hand tools, quikcrete, and the back cover of the catalog with installation instructions. I was told to figure it out and be done that week. Business didn't work out for him long term, but I've come a long way since those days. With the power of the internet and the will to learn, you are light years ahead of where we were back then.