PDA

View Full Version : Ballpark pricing for wedding/ bed maintaince

Doc Pete
10-11-2002, 06:04 PM
This is the first time I taking on maintaining bedding. Is there a rule of thumb or simple way to estimate weeding and maintaining shrub/flower beds. The estimate would be just for weeding the beds. Mulching, shrub trimming and edging would be a different price structure.
I guess I'm looking for a "price per square foot" to weed. Is this possible.
Thanks much,
Pete

Expert Lawns
10-11-2002, 07:54 PM
my $.02

if i'm asked to weed i give them a high estimate. weeding is teedious and annoying.

if its not done on the same trip as the mowing, i add $20-$30. don't forget to factor in the cleanup.. i use a tarp, you can drag it around and just toss the weeds on it...if not, you need to charge for yard waste bags too.

weeding is a BIG PITA. i know a lot of people that don't even do it. i disagree, its extra $$ and it keeps the customers happy. plus it keeps them from saying "oh i found someone to do my weeding, they're going to mow for me too" :cool:

ilovethisgame
10-11-2002, 08:05 PM
l usually charge $50.00 per m/h plus an addtional $30 per month for chemical control thereafter or 10 cents per sq. ft. for spreading Ronstar G.

-Dave

dukester
10-11-2002, 08:08 PM
What is "Ronstar G"? What does it do? Thanks

KLMlawn
10-11-2002, 08:11 PM
Well, I have to agree that weeding and bed maintenance is time comsuming and should be charged for accordingly. I do not actually perform any real "bed maintenance" aside from an initial weeding and mulching (which is charge for additionally) for any of my customers execpt those who are interested in paying the additional money.
Unfortunately, there are several companies in this area which include weeding and bed maintenance in their weekly cutting price and are not really including any additional charge for it ... how they can do this I am not sure while still claiming to make a profit.
As a Matter of fact, I have a customer whom I provide Lawn care (fert.) to but would never be able to compete with the company they have for mowing. The customer has about a 2/3 acre and a total lawn area of 16,500 sq.ft. The company they have is makes aproximately two visits a week, one to do the bed maintenance, the other to do the mowing. They have a 3-4 man crew for each visit and spend about 45 min there each time. So collectively, they are there for about 1 1/2 hours at what we will average out to 5 man hours. The customer only pays a set rate of $40 per week for only those weeks in the normal growing season(30-32), not paying on a 10 or 12 month basis. Assuming that each one of the crew is getting a minimum of $10 per hour, and there are 5 manhours for this job, how can the owner of this company make any money when he is at a deficit of 1 hour every week on this particular house????

ilovethisgame
10-11-2002, 08:41 PM
It's a granual pre-emergent basically you spread it like you would fert. over the entire bed area. It gives you between 3 to 6 months of protection aginst germinating seeds. Works great but, it cost about $90 per 50lbs bag.

-Dave

rodfather
10-11-2002, 09:47 PM
Pete,

Believe me there is no way to estimate exactly a new property for weed clean-up and bed maintenance. Just quote an hourly rate per week, per month, etc. that you are confortable with.

You will find that people have different expectations on what they want done in this regard...for what it is worth, I have found that people from the UK have much more stringent requirements when it comes to this kind of work. The "English" love their gardens and go out of their way to keep them that way year round.

Just my 2 cents my friend.

r

Doc Pete
10-12-2002, 12:31 AM
Sounds like the only fair way is a straight hourly rate. The church was looking for a price to put in their budget for next year. Maybe I'll try to map out the areas and find out what they expect, then offer a min/max price according to weekly or monthly weeding. Thanks guy's for the heads up.
Pete

GarPA
10-12-2002, 06:55 AM
what I do is tell them I THINK it will take x hours per month to maintain what you describe...at the end of the first month I tell them I will then have better info to give them a more "precise" figure. I have not had a single problem selling it this way. OF the 10 where I do no mowing just the kind of work you describe, I was dead right on 5 of the estimates, three I had to bump up 10% and 2 bump down 15% after one month of history. THere is no way you can predict up front how much weeding will be necessary unless you use the chemical mentioned above,,,and I am not a fan of certain herbicides and nor are some of my customers.

Doc Pete
10-12-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by kitzy
what I do is tell them I THINK it will take x hours per month to maintain what you describe...at the end of the first month I tell them I will then have better info to give them a more "precise" figure. I have not had a single problem selling it this way. OF the 10 where I do no mowing just the kind of work you describe, I was dead right on 5 of the estimates, three I had to bump up 10% and 2 bump down 15% after one month of history. THere is no way you can predict up front how much weeding will be necessary unless you use the chemical mentioned above,,,and I am not a fan of certain herbicides and nor are some of my customers.

That sounds pretty fair. I do that with the new lawns I cut. I give them a price for the first cut, saying it could be more for the next cuttings........... then I either stay at the quoted price or tell them the increase and let them decide if they still want me to cut it again.
THanks,
Pete

Albemarle Lawn
10-12-2002, 11:51 AM
Might do it free if she's purdy enough! Just don't tell the groom.

RMDoyon
10-13-2002, 10:00 AM
For what it's worth...

I charge a minimum $150 per year or $.10 per square foot over 1500 sf annually and prorate over 12 months.

I put down two apps of Snapshot every six months at the low rate and spot spray Roundup from April-November. Yes, occassionally you need to stoop to pull a large specimen and that sucks, especially the damn wild garlic.

Snapshot costs me less that $.01 per sf at this rate and I'll only maintain existing weed-free beds, not create one from an overgrown jungle.

The killer is during the hot summer months when you gotta strap on the tank at the end of the visit and slowly walk the beds for weeds but often that only needs to be done every other week and only requires a extra 5-10 minutes.

Some may think that rate is high but I assure you, if the customer asks for weed control they are generally anal about their weed control so you will work for every dollar to avoid complaints.