PDA

View Full Version : sod going going rate?

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
05-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Hi what what is the going rate on a sod install for 6,000-16,000SQFT?
Thanks

unkownfl
05-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Hi what what is the going rate on a sod install for 6,000-16,000SQFT?
Thanks

It takes about 3/4 of a man hour to lay one pallet. With fatigue I'd quote it about one man hour per pallet. That's assuming it's spotted and decent sod that doesn't fall apart (400sqft)

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
05-24-2011, 07:27 AM
thanks for the reply do you know what the going $ is for sod installs ?
thanks

Patriot Services
05-24-2011, 07:45 AM
Several ways to go about it. You can do the prep and lay the sod (lowest margin, most work). You can do the prep and most sod companies will throw it down for 20 a pallet. I strongly suggest you are present for any sub work. Or you can have the sod company do the entire thing soup to nuts. I won't do sod for any less than a dollar a square foot. I have gotten every one I bid this year. 38k total so far this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
05-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Property

There are a thousand ways to bid work. I will give only one that is called Formula Bidding. It is simply taking the Sq Ft by a factor to come to a price. Some Formulas are sliding scale according to the number of Sq Ft. The more Sq Ft the less cost per Sq Ft to be competitive.

Formulas are normally or at least should be developed from a cost plus bases and should be broken down by sections.

Patch work with tear out where only certain sections are re sodded go for $ 1.00 to $ 2.00 per sq ft for small patches or a lot of extra hassle like Gated back yards.

Total area resod with Tear out in my area are now going as low as $ 260.00 a 400 sq ft pallet or $ 0.65 a sq ft. Back in better times I got $ 0.75 to $ 0.80 per pallet all day long.

How do you figure the Formula???

It cost me $ 0.15 a sq ft or $ 60 for a 400 sq ft pallet in the field loaded on my then F 7000 Ford that could haul 5,000 sq ft or 10 x 500 sq ft pallets. However I am using 400 sq ft pallets here because that is the standard. By the time I hauled it town or the job I had $ 0.25 cost or $ 100 in a 400 ft pallet. That left $ 0.40 a ft for tear out and sodding. Tear out is 3 times harder that laying the sod so I said $ 0.30 to Tear out and prep the ground and $ 0.10 a Sq ft to lay the sod. If I was charging $ 300 or 320 a pallet $ 0.75 or $ 0.80 a sq ft I used the same 3 to 1 ratio on figuring cost.

At one time there was a lot of Money in sod which BTW is a very hard job. But it takes Heavy Duty equipment to do profitable. Back in the day we specialized on the higher margin, slower volume patch work. New construction kept the Big Boy sod layers too busy to do the smaller jobs and Life in the sod business was good for us. But then came the crash of 2008 and many Surviving Sod Companies are fighting it out for work. I am seeing a little more new construction etc here in Florida. But we are still hurting and it will take Years if we ever get back to the Boom times when the money flowed like water.

Patriot Services
05-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Ric brought up a good point I forgot to mention. You also have to factor in rental costs for sod cutters and disposal fees. Having bit the bullet and bought a sod and verti cutter a while back. Those machines are many times paid for and further add to my bottom line. I sold my bobcat last season as it is overkill for the typical 2k sod jobs I get nowadays.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
05-24-2011, 11:06 PM
I have a dingo with a soil cultivator at my disposal so I only charge about $225 per pallet of Floratam installed and delivery plus tax on the sod. That's assuming I'm paying $100 per 400sqft delivered and spotted. If I need to use the sod cutter, dump trailer, and dump then of course I would have to figure that in. You could always try looking on CL and see what others are getting in your area for SOD work I guess if you're worried about being the cheapest in town.

Patriot Services
05-25-2011, 07:36 AM
I never claim I'm to be the cheapest. I warranty mine for 30 days and insist I control water, fert and first couple of cuttings. If they go with us for regular service I go longer. I'm still cutting installs I did 4 years ago. A Dingo-vator would be nice but again overkill for me. The majority have been around 2K front yards only to appease the HOA's.
Posted via Mobile Device

South Florida Lawns
05-28-2011, 12:24 AM
Wow sod is like 150-180 a 500 sqft. pallet round here.:cry:

Florida Gardener
05-28-2011, 12:31 AM
dang man its $110/pallet here.

Patriot Services
05-28-2011, 08:12 AM
145 here. The quality is exceptional though. No bad pieces, fresh and always an honest 500 sq ft. I have seen some real crap at other suppliers this year. Obviously the farms are cutting corners in the weed and feed area.
Posted via Mobile Device

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
05-28-2011, 08:28 AM
This person I did the bid for wanted me to price at only .16 sqft for the job to me it seemed like I would have lost my azz on that show.
considering it would have cost around 130k just to purchase the sod thats not fuel or rental cost or time.
I guess If you own the sod farm or got a really low price per pallet then it could work ,but at $100.00 per 400sqft pallet needing 20 per home 70+ that adds up really fast to losing money @.16 cents sqft.

Patriot Services
05-28-2011, 08:40 AM
.16cts a sq ft is impossible. Even Bahia isn't going to hit that point.
Posted via Mobile Device

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
05-28-2011, 08:42 AM
That what I figured .

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
05-28-2011, 08:44 AM
I dont knw what the price per sqft for hyro seeding is maby thats is cheaper?

Patriot Services
05-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Not a lot of hydro seeding in Florida. Even the DOT slings sod on the right of ways.
Posted via Mobile Device

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
05-28-2011, 08:56 AM
I think perhaps a sod farm themselves could price it that cheap using a couple messicans or the last company that bid under bid it at .16 cent did the job filed bankruptcy and is out of business now.

Patriot Services
05-28-2011, 09:03 AM
An outfit by me owns their own farms and do installs. The best they can offer is .44 for Bahia. You can get dirt cheap (pun intended) sod. However it will be half cooked week old crap. Lot of waste and will take a lot of work to revive. Just goes against the instant gratification sod is supposed to supply.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
05-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Not a lot of hydro seeding in Florida. Even the DOT slings sod on the right of ways.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fl-landscape brought his Hydro Seeder to Florida when he moved here not knowing how spars the market for Hydro seeding was. However over the years word of mouth has provided enough work to justify keeping the Hydro Seeder. Sure he does have to do some travelling for these jobs, but when you are the only show in town and your show is 1/10 the cost of sod there isn't a lot of competition. However if the Hydro seeder wasn't already paid for and if it was his only form of income he would be hurting. There is not a lot of Hydro Seeding demand.

Hydro Seeding will give instant Erosion control and from early spring to Sept you get germination in 7 days and a stand of turf ready to mow in about 3 week or less. Of course I am talking common Bermuda which is an excellent utility turf. He is also converting old Bahia/weed home lawns to straight Bermuda. But then he has Slit seeders, Top Dressing Equipment and Grading/plowing equipment to do the whole 9 yards. If you have a problem contact him because he is easy to get along with and will subcontract from you.

Landscape Poet
05-30-2011, 08:56 PM
An outfit by me owns their own farms and do installs. The best they can offer is .44 for Bahia. You can get dirt cheap (pun intended) sod. However it will be half cooked week old crap. Lot of waste and will take a lot of work to revive. Just goes against the instant gratification sod is supposed to supply.
Posted via Mobile Device

I got a sod company that will do Bahia at a real similar price and it is just crap even for bahia. The SA is cheap too - but it is even worse with quality.

My cost for SA installed is .44 cent when I sub it out or less, usually less. I am sure that a farm could do it for cheaper considering I know what my labor cost in that mix and what the sod cost is, and know that when I buy a truck of sod the cost can get as little as $80 per 400 pallet. I would assume they could do it for less but why? The cheapest I ever got a farm to install for was 58 cents a square.

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
06-01-2011, 05:15 PM
I think perhaps a sod farm themselves could price it that cheap using a couple messicans or the last company that bid under bid it at .16 cent did the job filed bankruptcy and is out of business now.

like I said this ex company is probly outa the game cause they did it cheap .
aloso this price could be a family member too.

ffej3820
06-11-2011, 12:49 AM
For those of you from Pinellas and Hillsborough, where are you getting your sod? and has it been any good!! also how much per pallet.