PDA

View Full Version : To stripe or not to stripe

MJStrain
10-11-2002, 06:11 PM
I'm beginning to wonder what all the fuss is about. Stripe stripe stripe. I was as anal as the rest of you about striping. But I recently stopped striping my own yard and to tell you the truth I like it better than the striping I've always put so much emphasis on in the past. Just beautiful, thick lush green. Do you think this striping mania is something we LCO's started and now can't stop? Or is this what the customer really prefers? Do you give them a choice?

KLMlawn
10-11-2002, 07:56 PM
Uhm, I got a question ... perhaps a silly one, but a question just the same.
If you are using a commercial , or any type, machine to cut a lawn ... how do you achieve the "natural" look? Stop mowing and invest in a few goats???

Doogiegh
10-11-2002, 08:01 PM
If you are using a commercial machine with a pro-slide, do you have a choice???????????

Is there an "Anti-stripping" kit I should buy so I can stop striping????????????????

Looks like Exmark has MANY add-ons to build... The roller and the Anti-Roller. <G>

Gary

Fvstringpicker
10-11-2002, 08:46 PM
My wife hates the stripes I put in our own yard. She prefers the natural look. So if someone can tell my how not to stripe with a Lazer Z please tell me. During me and my better halfs last discussion on the matter, I told her if she don't want the stripes she has to get someone to cut it because I didn't know how not to stripe.

wmsland
10-11-2002, 09:18 PM
How not to stripe, cut it all going in one direction. Kind of a pain but you end up with no stripes.

PaulJ
10-11-2002, 11:20 PM
I posted this on a different thread awhile ago

"I don't think I could mow without leaving some sort of stripe. For me I don't set out to "stripe" a lawn but to mow it in a Quality way.

The stripes are a nice side effect. I always mow the whole property (or as much as possible) in the same dirrection. I change dirrection each week trying toi get 3 or 4 weeks before I go that way again. I outline 2 or 3 tiems with my 36" at the start of the yard."

I think part of the striping look comes from mowing in straight lines and taking equal swathes each pass.

for me its just the most efficiant way.
I hat seeing a lawn cut in circles , Just go around and around and around.:dizzy: :dizzy:
And even that leaves two big wide stripes.

jm2cw

Ryan Lightning
10-12-2002, 12:21 AM
I mow my lawns, in 4 different diffections, if its easy to do. It keeps it looking more natual, & reduces ruts. I will also change the path that I mow in, by a half a mower length to reduce ruts. What I understand is you guys mow in the same dirrection every week to get stripes?

greenman
10-12-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by wmsland
How not to stripe, cut it all going in one direction. Kind of a pain but you end up with no stripes.

So you make a swath, turn off blades, drive back to other end, line up for next swath, turn on blades, mow, repeat, repeat....:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Not me, thats like double cutting, but not actually double cutting:rolleyes:

lawnkid
10-12-2002, 12:42 AM
I agree with Ryan Lightning on this one. I mow al of my accounts front and back in 4 directions. I usually never srtipe the same way twice. And after a while it leaves like a permanent stripe. anyways, if you don't stripe, that takes all the fun out of trying to outdue the competitors stripes. JMHO ;) Peace

Clewsew
10-12-2002, 12:46 AM
No, mow in a square as opposed to going to the end of the row and doing a 180 and then back the way you came. You make 90 degree turns and for every side of the square your discarge(or where your discharge would be if you are not mulching) will be pointing the same way for each pass. I believe that it what he meant, right Wmsland?

greenman
10-12-2002, 01:01 AM
Clewsew-mow in a square pattern? Thats look like crap, IMO. That looks more unnatural than stripes. Everyone has their own ways, I guess. No right way or wrong way.

Expert Lawns
10-12-2002, 01:04 AM
i have never NOT striped a lawn. i just can't do it. never had a complaint, or had a request to stop.

I have a friend in the biz that went and got his first ZTR. exmark 52''. he was so excited to see the results of striping like a pro.... about the same week, a customer with a HUGE wide open lawn (a good 'show' lawn) goes out and buys a golf cart. so he rides around on that thing all day. can't tell what lines are what. lookes like someone was drinking and ZTRing all over his lawn

:dizzy: :drinkup: :dizzy:

Envy Lawn Service
10-12-2002, 02:14 AM
Striping is not big here at all, or should I say nobody much knows how to. I don't buy the deal about it just stripes. I see guys on all kinds of brand ZTR's near my accounts "trying" to get stripes. They mostly end up with very faint stripes if any and some good tire tracks or ruts.

Most of my customers love the stripes and I do too! I do have a couple that like the green carpet look though. To each there own I say.

I change patterns depending on the lawn and the type of grass. Some lawns force me to run up to 4 different patterns to prevent rutting. Others I run 3 or 2 and I have a couple of customers that want it striped only one way. I will do it if the turf allows.

I tried that changing by half width on some of those who like 1 pattern only. I didn't work out. I had a problem getting the old stripes out.

MJStrain
10-12-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by KLMlawn
If you are using a commercial , or any type, machine to cut a lawn ... how do you achieve the "natural" look? Stop mowing and invest in a few goats???
Goats...that's a good one. No I simply bought a new "residential" mower and use it on my lawn. Goats...I kinda like that.:p

Clewsew
10-14-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by greenman
Clewsew-mow in a square pattern? Thats look like crap, IMO. That looks more unnatural than stripes. Everyone has their own ways, I guess. No right way or wrong way.

I don't mow that way either, I was just trying to see how how Ryan Lightning was mowing to go "the same direction all the time." I personally like the stripes myself. But you are correct when you say everyone has their own style.

Guido
10-14-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by KLMlawn

Thats what I'm saying!! I like the look personally, but I don't try to achieve it. It just happens.

I also agree that the going around in circles (square) all the same direction looks like crap.

But, you know what they say about opinions!!

I think all this fuss on this site especially made about the "magical stripe" is from people that used to mow in a big circle and realized there are faster, better looking ways.

This is not something new, it wasn't invented yesterday. I'm still not sure what all the fuss is about. I could do without the 10 threads per day about stripes.

awm
10-14-2002, 06:44 PM
if u cut in a circle . u can mow with a lazer and not stripe. i know i had to do it or lose several lawns. next time mow with a different shaped circle ,so the grass doesnt have prominent tracks.
so yes to the question ,can u mow w a commercial machine with out striping.
i can take the same machine and do fairly well striping ,on the few that will let me . not as good at this as some ,but dont need to be. if it made me money ,id do it everywhere. but these country folk want smooth lawns most of the time.