PDA

View Full Version : Lighting vinyl siding

Sutherland
05-24-2011, 09:18 AM
I've seen some great pictures on this forum but I don't think I've seen any on vinyl siding. I was just curious why, it looks like a lot of the pics of up lighting are of stuco or stone siding. If anyone has some pictures of vinyl siding I'd really enjoy seeing them. ~thanks

steveparrott
05-24-2011, 10:10 AM
I've seen some great pictures on this forum but I don't think I've seen any on vinyl siding. I was just curious why, it looks like a lot of the pics of up lighting are of stuco or stone siding. If anyone has some pictures of vinyl siding I'd really enjoy seeing them. ~thanks
Vinyl siding is a lighting challenge for several reasons.

Vinyl tends to be highly reflective, and may appear overly bright under normal levels of illumination, and to exagerate hot spots on the structure.
Vinyl shingles attempt to mimic overlapping wood shingles but fail to do so in several ways. Perhaps the most glaring difference is with the extended underside of each step. The underside of a vinyl shingle is like a highly reflective eave, it bounces light directly back to the viewer and results in a building face that appears striped and unnatural. Natural wood shingles tend to have shallower, more irregular, and/or less reflective surfaces than the vinyl imitation.

Because of these differences, I suggest the following lighting techniques:

When possible, position lights farther back from the structure to avoid sharp vertical illumination.
Project light through plant material to obscure horizontal stripes and add visual interest to the siding.
Reduce levels of illumination to a bare minimum.

Here's an example of the problem with vinyl siding - especially when the designer positions fixtures too close to the structure. Some attempt was made to project shadows on the structure but the horizontal striping is very distracting.