PDA

View Full Version : lime & seed

stslawncare
10-11-2002, 06:50 PM
hey guys getting ready to do some dethatching, aerating, overseeding. was wondering if its ok to spread lime at the same time?

Green Pastures
10-11-2002, 06:51 PM
Yes

Scott

stslawncare
10-11-2002, 09:57 PM
whats everyones thoughts on starter fert also? is starter fert needed when overseeding? any problems with starter fert and lime? how about regular fert? anything that shouldnt go together?

Green Pastures
10-11-2002, 10:00 PM
starter fert:yes
regular fert: yes, but why when there's starter fert. Unless you did a soil test and it calls for something specific.

Scott

lawnstudent
10-12-2002, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by stslawncare
whats everyones thoughts on starter fert also? is starter fert needed when overseeding? any problems with starter fert and lime? how about regular fert? anything that shouldnt go together?

Starter fert usually has more phosphorus to encourage root development. This is a good idea when seeding. But is it too late to seed in your area? Those seedlings need to harden off before the cold sets in if they are to survive the winter. You take a risk when you overseed late in fall.

Generally late fall fert applications are not a good idea. Nitrogen forces vegatative growth. Will that new growth have a chance to harden off before the cold sets in? Dormant lawn fert apps are beneficial only when top growth has ceased but root development continues in late fall.

jim

GarPA
10-12-2002, 07:11 AM
Jim...I always learn allot from your posts. But we are only 3 weeks into fall...do you consider the 2nd week in October to be late fall?

KenH
10-12-2002, 08:35 AM
There is really no "set" time. You have to keep your eye on the temps. If you were to seed now, being its cooler, you would have to allow AT LEAST 10 days for germination. After that, another 2 weeks or so for a mowing to promote root/shoot development. That will bring you into November, and we are probably talking about a hard frost by then. Will the new seed be ready?? questionable at best.

stslawncare
10-12-2002, 10:41 AM
whats a good general temp range? for the next week the forcast says highs in the upper 60s and lows in the mid 40's

KenH
10-12-2002, 06:05 PM
You want the young plants to be able to withstand the winter, meaning they need time to put a root system down before the frosts. It might be 60 now, but what about in 2 weeks when the grass is 1/2" tall. Who knows??

Turfdude
10-12-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by lawnstudent
Starter fert usually has more phosphorus to encourage root development. This is a good idea when seeding. But is it too late to seed in your area? Those seedlings need to harden off before the cold sets in if they are to survive the winter. You take a risk when you overseed late in fall.

Generally late fall fert applications are not a good idea. Nitrogen forces vegatative growth. Will that new growth have a chance to harden off before the cold sets in? Dormant lawn fert apps are beneficial only when top growth has ceased but root development continues in late fall.

jim

Jim,

I'm glad you admit you're a lawn student (aren't we all actually). Scottie and others in the mid-Atlantic area can do and continue to do seeding thru October and maybe early November if the weather continues as it has. If the lawns are aerated, the seed may not germinate now, but will definately do so in the spring. Also, we are encouraged to do an application in November (around Thanksgiving) of high N. The coop extension service agents preach to us that since the lawns are going dormant, that the N will go to root and stem development and help sustain the turf better through the winter months w/ a heathier greener look. They also claim that there will be less need for early spring N to green up turf. Too many apply high spring N, then wind up w/ too much topgrowth, a lot of thatch and of course, fungal problems.

Bob

P.S. Please do not take this as any kind of personal attack. We are all "students" here, trying to learn from one another.

stslawncare
10-13-2002, 12:53 AM
ok guys another question to add. got a customer who had me apply scots weed n feed. it took care of most weeds but not all. they want lawn aerated and overseeded, also lime put down, but yet they want the weeds gone too. will overseeding and treating the current grass "choke" the weeds?

f350
10-13-2002, 02:25 AM
cash the check!!!!

stslawncare
10-13-2002, 12:38 PM
huh?

Turfdude
10-13-2002, 02:12 PM
Scottie,

How long ago did you w&f??
Read the label, it will let you know how long you should wait to seed, otherwise the herbicide will inhibit the seed from germinating as well as it should.

Bob

stslawncare
10-13-2002, 04:00 PM
w&f was done over 3 months ago, actually beginning of the season to be exact. i guess i should rephase my question.....

will aerating overseeding etc take care of the weeds? should i just wait to take care of the weeds and do all that stuff now?? should i put down w&f and forget about aerating etc??????

thanks for your help.

tremor
10-14-2002, 07:22 AM
Scotty,

You should have time to get the turf going in Delaware with time left over to control weeds IF YOU CAN GET 3 CUTS BEFORE THE WEEDS STOP GROWING.

Keep the N up during that time & you might pull it off. As far as I know, Snow Mold isn't a huge concern on home lawns in Delaware. So keep the N up during the grow-in.

Worry about weed control next year if you miss it this year. Then you won't be wasting time trying to germinate seed nexy spring while Crabgrass is redirecting your course of action.

You need to make the calls on this client. If they continue to steer, neither of you will get where you want to go.

Get control of the client & the turf.

And there is no need to manage this lawn like a putting green. Because that's not what it is. Plant the seed, push it up to height, and satisfy the customer.

If they want to do it themselves, maybe your better off letting them.

Please take a look at my similar comment in the thread about dormant seeding.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35236

Steve

stslawncare
10-14-2002, 12:22 PM
great, so ill go ahead and aerate and seed, i wont put down any starter fert. ill put some lime down with the seed (slow release) and ill fert about a month or so after i seed. in the spring ill worry about the weeds. sound good? also how many pounds of lime should i put down??? ph levels are around 6.4