PDA

View Full Version : Water pooling on raised patio

tslandscaping
05-24-2011, 07:30 PM
I got a call today from a customer today, asking about ways to could get rid of some water pooling on their raised patio. He put it in a few months ago with a friend and there is one area that is holding water badly. The polysand in the joints doesn't let any water through and it sits there for 24 hours or more after rainstorms.

In the past, when we found water pooling on our patios we pulled up the stones and changed the grade but I've never experienced this on a raised patio, where the walls are already set. Here's what I came up with:

1. Relay the stones and part of the wall so that it drains.

2. put some kind of surface drain in and daylight the pipe out the side of the patio, pulling up the stones to lay the pipe.

3. Remove some of the polysand from the joints where the water is pooling, replace it with playsand, and let the drainage around the wall take care of it.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

greatinmulchbeds
05-24-2011, 09:17 PM
do you happen to have any pictures? you could go with 1 or 2, is water pooling near the house? wall? center?, I would not do your third idea or your going to end up with a sink hole.

zedosix
05-24-2011, 09:44 PM
I got a call today from a customer today, asking about ways to could get rid of some water pooling on their raised patio. He put it in a few months ago with a friend and there is one area that is holding water badly. The polysand in the joints doesn't let any water through and it sits there for 24 hours or more after rainstorms.

In the past, when we found water pooling on our patios we pulled up the stones and changed the grade but I've never experienced this on a raised patio, where the walls are already set. Here's what I came up with:

1. Relay the stones and part of the wall so that it drains.

2. put some kind of surface drain in and daylight the pipe out the side of the patio, pulling up the stones to lay the pipe.

3. Remove some of the polysand from the joints where the water is pooling, replace it with playsand, and let the drainage around the wall take care of it.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Its alot of work now, but ideally you would put a centre drain in there. Slope all perimeter of patio inwards towards a drain and have it daylight at bottom or near bottom of patio.