PDA

View Full Version : Any higher milage Ford 6.4 diesels?

ClassicLawnCareInc
05-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Does anyone have a higher milage 6.4 liter ford diesel that is still going strong? Or any that havent had any problems with?

Also what milage do you have?

Ive heard of a lot of guys having problems with them, but havent heard to many non-problem stories.

The reason I ask is b/c I have (4) 6.4's and thankfully I've not had any problems, but they all have lower milage on them.

Thanx

rstan2010
05-25-2011, 05:33 PM
The 6.4 is an awesome engine. I have a 2010 with the dpf deleted and runs like a top with plenty of power. The only problems that they have is they have sensitive fuel pumps so if you get just a little water in your fuel you F the whole system and repairs are very expensive. If you delete the dpf on these trucks it makes them a lot more reliable.

ProTouch Groundscapes
05-27-2011, 07:37 AM
i have about 55K on my 09 and its had its share of little headaches, nothing catastrophic.

even though i still have warranty, i went ahead and did a dpf/doc delete with an h&s tuner and drop in filter and never looked back. wish i did it sooner. truck runs better, tranny runs cooler and shifts better, much better mileage and no more idiotic regens. plus it shuts the egr function off so no clogging turbos etc...

these motors are absolute monsters when done right. I have 3 mods on my truck (about 1300 into it) and it can run 13's. I had well over 5K into my supercharged monte carlo and would run low to mid 13's

mow king
05-27-2011, 12:55 PM
I had a "old" border patrol truck - 08 6.4 with 105k miles on it. it still ran well and that truck had been through hell and back. It had a lot of cooling system repairs done under warranty prior to my ownership (probably from being run hard in the desert).

clydebusa
05-27-2011, 06:33 PM
I had a 08 with 33k when it died and ford bought it back for 2k less than what I gave for it.

ClassicLawnCareInc
08-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Any other high milage 6.4 diesels?

KrayzKajun
08-15-2011, 09:35 AM
I have 32k on my 08. Prolly 25k is all pulling a trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
08-17-2011, 12:05 AM
You need to subscribe to Diesel Power magazine. They have done articles on the 6.0 & 6.4 mods that make the engines last longer. EGR upgrades (legal) or deletes are key problem areas that need help. Using a programmer on a 6.0 or 6.4 with a factory EGR is just asking for trouble.

It's a lot easier to mod a Duramax or Cummins and these engines in general will have much better longevity. For hot rodding the Cummins has the engine with the strongest internal parts.

KrayzKajun
08-17-2011, 01:16 PM
I have 32k on my 08. Prolly 25k is all pulling a trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

well i found a puddle of oil under my truck monday night. oil is dripping from the seal area of the engine/tranny mount up area...

i really need to invest in a back up truck!:hammerhead:

PlantscapeSolutions
08-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Put that 100K engine warranty to good use. The 6.0 & 6.4 has done a great job of keeping mechanics and parts manufacturers gainfully employed. Only time will tell how well Fords 6.7 will hold up. I'm sure it's better then the 6.0 & 6.4 but the Duramax and especially the Cummins has a track record that will be hard to match. Ford has done a great job of converting it's die hard customer base into Cummins & Duramax owners.

ClassicLawnCareInc
08-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Dang that sux haha. Like I said befroe I currently run 4 of these 6.4 diesels and they are doing great so far, but the highest milage I have is around 33k and every mile has been pulling a 32' gooseneck trailer.

KrayzKajun
08-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Ford has done a great job of converting it's die hard customer base into Cummins & Duramax owners.
Funny u say tht. Going tonight to test drive a 2011 Ram 3500, dually 4x4, diesel
Posted via Mobile Device

ClassicLawnCareInc
08-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Nice, let us know what you think. I had one of the 1st 07 6.7 liter Dodge diesels and I had soooo many problems with it I traded it for one of my Fords lol. But I know that the 1st year Dodge had to get the kinks worked out. I liked the truck other than the problems. My Dodge was a quad cab long bed 4x4 duelly.

PlantscapeSolutions
08-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Funny u say tht. Going tonight to test drive a 2011 Ram 3500, dually 4x4, diesel
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a 09' Ram 3500 dually 4x4. I did the PacBrake airbags ($265) for towing, seat covers ($500), Wheels ($650), toolbox ($700), Mopar nerfs ($300), Smarty downloader+DPF delete kit+5" TBE+AFE Pro dry+Airdog & Edge CT gauges ($2700ish), bumpers ($1150), Rhino Liner ($400), leveling kit & bilsteins ($400), and Husky floor mats.

Now if I just had money left to buy Diesel I could drive it. The 2010 & newer duallys have the better slick one piece bed sides instead of the bolted on fiberglass dually fenders.

I've towed 22,5000 lbs with my truck several times with no problem.

ClassicLawnCareInc
08-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Thats nice. What mpg are you getting?

PlantscapeSolutions
08-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Nice, let us know what you think. I had one of the 1st 07 6.7 liter Dodge diesels and I had soooo many problems with it I traded it for one of my Fords lol. But I know that the 1st year Dodge had to get the kinks worked out. I liked the truck other than the problems. My Dodge was a quad cab long bed 4x4 duelly.

Were your problems solely related to the DPF and regen issues?

PlantscapeSolutions
08-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Almost forgot. With 6.7's with any programmer head studs are recommended. If you blow a head gasket it will cost you $800. I had ARP 625's installed which was about $1400.

PlantscapeSolutions
08-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Thats nice. What mpg are you getting?

I have never managed to drive like a normal person for a full tank of fuel. The best numbers I've calculated so far are about 14.25 mpg's. My DPF delete was good for a solid 2 mpg increase.

ClassicLawnCareInc
08-17-2011, 06:33 PM
My problems were all over the board. I did have the DPF replaced 3-4 times, but I had numerous other problems. I had a leak in my rear cab brake light cover than let the back storage area in the cab flood with 6 inches of water. I had the water pump break, 3 injectors go bad, I believe a fuel pump if I remember correctly, pcm replacement, pcm flash upgrade and I know another problem or 2 thats i cant remember I think one part was something having to do with the transmission.

All of this happened in the 1st 2 years I had it and under 36k miles. So yea i had a bad one. And b/c the truck was registered and titled in my business name there was no lemon law.

KrayzKajun
08-17-2011, 06:50 PM
The Wife doesn't know I'm looking at a new truck yet. It just so happens we are going to the same lot to look at a new jeep for the wife. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
08-17-2011, 07:08 PM
My problems were all over the board. I did have the DPF replaced 3-4 times, but I had numerous other problems. I had a leak in my rear cab brake light cover than let the back storage area in the cab flood with 6 inches of water. I had the water pump break, 3 injectors go bad, I believe a fuel pump if I remember correctly, pcm replacement, pcm flash upgrade and I know another problem or 2 thats i cant remember I think one part was something having to do with the transmission.

All of this happened in the 1st 2 years I had it and under 36k miles. So yea i had a bad one. And b/c the truck was registered and titled in my business name there was no lemon law.

That's definitely not the norm. The 6.7 has been a great engine for most people. The emissions causing clogged DPF's, and EGR's fouling turbo's were the problems most people had if they had problems at all. The 6.7 was built from the same basic design as the 5.9 so it wasn't a whole new untried motor like the 6.0 & 6.4. Dodge never had to file a lawsuit against Cummins like Ford did with International because of very wide spread problems.

ClassicLawnCareInc
08-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Yea I figured mine was one of the few that had problems. Id def look at Dodges again in the future.

KrayzKajun
08-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Just left Dodge. 2011 Ram 3500 diesel 4x4 quad cab dually. $38k before trading in my F250
Posted via Mobile Device

ClassicLawnCareInc
08-17-2011, 09:04 PM
That doesnt seem bad at all. Whats the msrp? around 54k?

KrayzKajun
08-17-2011, 09:38 PM
That doesnt seem bad at all. Whats the msrp? around 54k? somewhere around tht. I owe $20k on my F250, blue book is $33k
I should come out ahead pretty good
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
08-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Any time your able to handle selling your truck yourself it works in your favor. I know a lot of times guys can't handle two truck payments for a few months if that's what it takes. Or they need the equity for the down payment.

I was able to buy my Ram SXT 3500 4x4 for about $7500 ($10K without rebate) under the $48Kish MSRP. I gave up about $2500 to get the 0% for 72 deal. I didn't even put down one penny and drove away with my new truck.

Two months later I sold my 02' ram 2500 4x4 and just banked the $11,000 I got for it. Beware of what called "dealer adds". This is the pin striping, POS bed liner, tow hooks, cloth stain treatment, mud flaps, and other crap the dealer will add that cost them about $500 but adds $5000 to the MSRP. Many dealers will make you think your getting a huge discount when in reality the deal is worth $5000 less then you think it is.

KrayzKajun
08-18-2011, 07:07 AM
I can't wait to sell my truck myself. Its better for me just to trade it in. Once I trade my truck in and other rebates etc. I should get the Ram for about $28k
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
08-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Just left Dodge. 2011 Ram 3500 diesel 4x4 quad cab dually. $38k before trading in my F250
Posted via Mobile Device

I went to Dallas today for the Texas Nursery & Landscape EXPO. I decided to set the cruise on 65 mph to see what kind of millage I could muster on the 400 mile round trip. My 6.7 is DPF deleted, has an Airdog fuel & air seperator, 5" TBE (turbo back exhaust), AFE airbox with Pro Dry filter, and my Smarty down loader was on the 65 hp setting.

At 65 mph the truck was only turning 1625 rpms. At 1600 rpms the engine makes it's maximum torque so the rpm's were ideal.

The over head display which is not usually very accurate kept displaying a larger and larger mpg number the further I drove. At the end of my trip the over head display showed 18.3 mpg which seemed way off. After filling up the truck at the same gas station with the truck parked exactly in the same spot I did the math and my mpg's were 17.65 mpg.

I was very, very surprised the numbers were that good. If I had dropped the speed down to 55 where the wind drag is more optimal I'm sure I would have easily picked up another 1 mpg. But I can barely handle driving 65 and doing 55 would wear thin after about five miles.

Dynatrac is dragging azz getting a free spin kit made for the 2009 trucks but if I had one it would add at least 1 - 1.5 mpg's to my number. The Dynatrac kit I had on my 02' 2500 set me back about $3000 but it was money well. The kit lets you unlock your front axle so your axle gears and transfer case aren't spinning for no reason.

You can also put your truck in 4 wheel drive with the hubs unlocked and safely use the killer low gears on dry pavement to push or pull a heavy trailer very easily.

ClassicLawnCareInc
08-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Nice. Thats not bad at all for that huge truck/

GravelyGuy
08-21-2011, 08:08 PM
My 6.7 powerstroke will get 19.5-20 at 75 all day. 20+ at lower speeds. It is a crew cab long box. The regens are seamless in warm weather, but it Can be rough going into regen in the winter?

I would like to delete, but I will keep my warranty for now. I don't really know if I will gain much either.
Posted via Mobile Device

ClassicLawnCareInc
08-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Thats a great number. I know Ford advertises those numbers but its nice to see them in real life.

KrayzKajun
08-22-2011, 01:40 PM
well it looks like i will be switching over to a Cummins. ive had my fill with ford, truck has been in shop since last tuesday and they just looked at it this morning. Dodge offered me $28,000 for my F250,(truck is an 08 F250 c/c FX4, only has 33k miles) 98% sure once it comes out the shop its getting traded in for a 2011 Ram 3500, crewcab, longbed dually 4x4 CUMMINS!!!

ClassicLawnCareInc
08-24-2011, 07:09 AM
Nice, make sure you post some pics!

bayfish
08-24-2011, 10:58 PM
These truck makers are doing anything to get the mpg's up on their diesels. Check the stickers and see the rear they're putting in them. Some of the pimped out F350's have 3.31 rears. All of mine are XL's with 3.73 rears, so the fuel savings are going to be less than spectacular after spending $1500 on tuners, pipes and delete kits. If it will help longevity, go for it. Otherwise, if your looking for more horsepower, you'll probably end up tearing something up.
Sherwood Ford services mine under a fleet program that has substantial savings if you have 3 or more trucks. They're not perfect, but more times than not they get things right. One of my 6.0 liters took a full dump on me at 90K miles; egr valve, egr cooler, ficm. It was horrible. Much worse, the truck was out of warranty by 3 months. They covered it.
I have been using Power Service additive for several years in an old 7.3, 2 6.0's and a 6.4, from Tractor Supply or WalMart. Increases cetane level, never had a clogged injector or water issues.
My 6.4 is a one ton dump, with 19K miles. No problems yet. It is a 2 wheel drive and I have a 8.6 ft. Boss plow on it. It is a beast plowing snow with a pallet of salt in the back.

PlantscapeSolutions
08-24-2011, 11:47 PM
These truck makers are doing anything to get the mpg's up on their diesels. Check the stickers and see the rear they're putting in them. Some of the pimped out F350's have 3.31 rears. All of mine are XL's with 3.73 rears, so the fuel savings are going to be less than spectacular after spending $1500 on tuners, pipes and delete kits. If it will help longevity, go for it. Otherwise, if your looking for more horsepower, you'll probably end up tearing something up.
Sherwood Ford services mine under a fleet program that has substantial savings if you have 3 or more trucks. They're not perfect, but more times than not they get things right. One of my 6.0 liters took a full dump on me at 90K miles; egr valve, egr cooler, ficm. It was horrible. Much worse, the truck was out of warranty by 3 months. They covered it.
I have been using Power Service additive for several years in an old 7.3, 2 6.0's and a 6.4, from Tractor Supply or WalMart. Increases cetane level, never had a clogged injector or water issues.
My 6.4 is a one ton dump, with 19K miles. No problems yet. It is a 2 wheel drive and I have a 8.6 ft. Boss plow on it. It is a beast plowing snow with a pallet of salt in the back.

Just letting you know there was a test done on 19 Diesel additives and Power Service was rated number 10. Only the top 12 additives were rated beneficial which put Power Service towards the bottom of the list. If you go to www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf (http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf) you can see the results. I use Schaeffer which was rated #6.

bayfish
08-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Just letting you know there was a test done on 19 Diesel additives and Power Service was rated number 10. Only the top 12 additives were rated beneficial which put Power Service towards the bottom of the list. If you go to www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf (http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf) you can see the results. I use Schaeffer which was rated #6.

Thanks for the info.
I think both of our products can be moved up the list as some are a little cost prohibitive, and some others don't boost cetane or have anti-gel. I doubt anyone is going to add Super Tech 2 cycle motor oil in the fuel tank.
Do you use biodiesel?

PlantscapeSolutions
08-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the info.
I think both of our products can be moved up the list as some are a little cost prohibitive, and some others don't boost cetane or have anti-gel. I doubt anyone is going to add Super Tech 2 cycle motor oil in the fuel tank.
Do you use biodiesel?

There are all kinds of stupid things people think will improve the lubricity of Diesel. They tested a bunch of things they would never recommend just to prove they didn't work or that they degraded the fuel.

Inov8te
09-19-2011, 12:38 AM
I have 4 ford diesels 1 05' f450 6.0 52 k, 08' f350 4x4 srw 6.4 53k, 08 f450 4x4 dump 6.4 22 k and a 09 f450 dump 4x4 6.4 20k. and have owned all other diesels. The 6.0 started smoking the other day (head gasket), the 08 350 needs a radiator because the plastic tank is cracked on the side, and the 450's wont get above 9mpg. I dont think that I will keep ford diesels much longer, cant decide if i want to stay with ford and use the 5.4 gas or the v10, or just switch to another manufactuer. I purchased all the trucks new except the 05 and got good deals, but i know now why, they wanted to get rid of them.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-19-2011, 01:09 AM
I have 4 ford diesels 1 05' f450 6.0 52 k, 08' f350 4x4 srw 6.4 53k, 08 f450 4x4 dump 6.4 22 k and a 09 f450 dump 4x4 6.4 20k. and have owned all other diesels. The 6.0 started smoking the other day (head gasket), the 08 350 needs a radiator because the plastic tank is cracked on the side, and the 450's wont get above 9mpg. I dont think that I will keep ford diesels much longer, cant decide if i want to stay with ford and use the 5.4 gas or the v10, or just switch to another manufactuer. I purchased all the trucks new except the 05 and got good deals, but i know now why, they wanted to get rid of them.

There is no reason to have a heavy duty truck if it doesn't have a heavy duty Diesel engine. Gassers in heavy duty trucks are a flat out joke. You need to get to get some of the aftermarket kits for your 6.4's and 6.0 to fix the factory flaws. The 6.0 has a bunch of flaws including a weak head with too few bolts to secure the head gasket. You going to have to spend $1200 for a set of ARP 625 head studs.

You need to find a good Diesel performance shop in your area and they can school you on all the parts that need to be replaced to make the trucks more reliable. The oil cooler and EGR are big problems on the 6.0's.

I owned a 97 F250 with a 7.3 at one point but the Cummins power plants are under the hood of both of my trucks now. I'm not saying the new Ford built 6.7 is a bad engine but it's way too soon to give Ford kudos. Ford has done a great job of making many die hard Ford guys owners of Cummins and Duramax powered trucks. Good luck.

2stroked
09-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Only ford diesel that is really good IMO is the 7.3. Ford and dodge had some really great diesel engines during that era.

The only gas motor that I would put i a heavy duty truck would be a v10. A 5.4 in a f350 is a joke if you ask me.

Ramairfreak98ss
10-04-2011, 12:06 PM
i have about 55K on my 09 and its had its share of little headaches, nothing catastrophic.

even though i still have warranty, i went ahead and did a dpf/doc delete with an h&s tuner and drop in filter and never looked back. wish i did it sooner. truck runs better, tranny runs cooler and shifts better, much better mileage and no more idiotic regens. plus it shuts the egr function off so no clogging turbos etc...

these motors are absolute monsters when done right. I have 3 mods on my truck (about 1300 into it) and it can run 13's. I had well over 5K into my supercharged monte carlo and would run low to mid 13's

What'd you have done to the monte carlo? zzp or intense parts? Your in Ohio, figured id ask :)

supercuts
10-04-2011, 05:05 PM
i was only offered $21K for my 08 f350 xlt diesel ith 50k miles. i have 4 powerstrokes, 3 7.3's and a 6.4. im done with fords. if i wasnt going to loses so much money, id dump 1 or 2 for a GM, possibly a dodge. i might even go gas. my 00 f550 is on its 3rd tank, soon to delaminate im sure. ford sucks, the offered me a new truck and left me high and dry. my 08 was in teh shop like 40 times in the first 2 years.

so far, i have had radiator, injectors, mulitple pulleys, muliple calipers sizing, smoke issues, fuel in oil, constant regen issues, my oil pan is rotting out, the list goes on. went through lemon law twice. Ford lied

Marek
10-04-2011, 05:55 PM
You know what the best thing about the new Ford trucks ? They make the 7.3 trucks worth more and more everyday. Watch a few 7.3 trucks on e bay. Its hard to believe what they sell for. I just picked up a 99 350 crew cab dually ,XLT , 4x4 with 63000 miles on it. Not sure if I will keep it for a crew truck or sell it. Just watched a similar truck go to 19 k . We may try a new dodge 4500 with a solid side dump on it in the spring.

PlantscapeSolutions
10-04-2011, 11:49 PM
You know what the best thing about the new Ford trucks ? They make the 7.3 trucks worth more and more everyday. Watch a few 7.3 trucks on e bay. Its hard to believe what they sell for. I just picked up a 99 350 crew cab dually ,XLT , 4x4 with 63000 miles on it. Not sure if I will keep it for a crew truck or sell it. Just watched a similar truck go to 19 k . We may try a new dodge 4500 with a solid side dump on it in the spring.

I had a 97' F250 with a 7.3 and it was the Ford engine that made lots of people loyal Ford fans. My 97' lasted 173K before it had lethal wear issues. I wasn't a Ford fan but I could not find any Dodges when I bought my F250. In the 90's everyone who bought Dodges seemed to run them until the odometer was showing at least 250K.

As good as the 7.3 was it was not even in the same ballpark as the 12 valve & 24 valve 5.9's. The Cummins engine was built to a much higher standard. The Cummins had longer rebuild intervals and was certified for use in medium duty trucks. You could build a 1000 horsepower 5.9 with stock internals. With a 7.3 at even 500 horsepower your risking a bent rod or a broken piston.
Some of the 7.3 came with powdered metal rods that often broke at 200K.

Fast forward to today and you still can't go wrong with a Cummins 6.7. The fact that Ford puts a Cummins 6.7 in it's F750 and not a Ford 6.7 is the ultimate insult to all die hard Ford guys. I had an 02' 5.9 Ram and I currently have an 06' Ram 5.9 as well as a 09' Ram 3500 with a 6.7. No truck is perfect but I'd much rather take my chances with a Cummins.

PowerstrokeWalker
10-10-2011, 07:43 PM
2008 ford f350 superduty
6.4 powerstroke
3.73 gears
5 inch lift
18 inch moto metal wheels
35-12.5-18 nitto trail grapplers
traction bars
edge programmer
kn air intake
17 mpg empty is the best
9mpg with trailer

PowerstrokeWalker
10-11-2011, 11:55 AM
72,000 miles on my 6.4

ClassicLawnCareInc
10-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Thankfully I still havent had any problems with mine yet.

Milwaukee
11-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Saw 1 08 F350 with 6.4L diesel on Craigslist it had 297K miles for $8K it running.

I believe that new diesel truck aren't supposed to be IDLE and drive short. They are for drive HARD and lot miles in day.

Accord to my friends who is dumb buy new diesel for powerful but only average 3-10 miles a day. You know what they had more issues than I do with my 00 F350 that had 220K and average 50-80 miles a day.

Green surfer 1
11-28-2011, 05:01 PM
I have a 08 350 6.4 4wd with 3.73 auto w free wheeling hubs. I purchased new only issues have been the computer upgrades,venturi tee,recent radiator leak i/e the o rings issue.Running at 31,000 miles present. I am sick of the re-gen issues an am thinking of going dpf delete w/ tuner. The truck doesn't get the best of mileage for a diesel truck. The FORDs i have to say are by far the strongest trucks outthere. I run a 450 dump w/ 7.3 engine and would never get rid of that one. And its true these 6.4s do not like to sit idleing which sometime you just have to maybe with the dpf delete setup the truck can be much more friendlier on fuel, but i have read many a story online of some people saying yes and no on the mileage issue.

ClassicLawnCareInc
12-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Dang. I have 4 of these trucks and havent had any problems with mine thankfully.

Milwaukee
12-04-2011, 02:03 PM
I have a 08 350 6.4 4wd with 3.73 auto w free wheeling hubs. I purchased new only issues have been the computer upgrades,venturi tee,recent radiator leak i/e the o rings issue.Running at 31,000 miles present. I am sick of the re-gen issues an am thinking of going dpf delete w/ tuner. The truck doesn't get the best of mileage for a diesel truck. The FORDs i have to say are by far the strongest trucks outthere. I run a 450 dump w/ 7.3 engine and would never get rid of that one. And its true these 6.4s do not like to sit idleing which sometime you just have to maybe with the dpf delete setup the truck can be much more friendlier on fuel, but i have read many a story online of some people saying yes and no on the mileage issue.

I read one person with issues on regen so often. It turn out Map sensor wasn't work.

ClassicLawnCareInc
12-05-2011, 08:07 AM
From the diesel magazines I've read these engines are good engines, especially if you remove the emissions stuff. I know they have plenty of pwer and so far theyve never let me down.

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-05-2011, 08:13 AM
absolutely perfect since i removed my dpf/doc and added an h&s tuner and s&b intake with afe delete pipe. much better mileage as well

ClassicLawnCareInc
12-11-2011, 03:57 PM
From what Ive read these 6.4 engines are good engines just bogged down b/c of the emmision stuff.

professional
12-13-2011, 08:02 AM
I have an '08 with 68k. Lost two sensors in Aug. Left me by the side of the road. Otherswise, it's been good to me. The engine that is. The four-wheel drive has been down several times. Three, plus it's acting up right now. Fuel milage is the big reason I probably won't own another diesel. Pulling 20' enclosed, 9.2mpg highway and in town. Diesel right now is running between 70 and 80 cents per gal over reg unleaded. Rented F250 with new 6.2 gas engine when '08 was in the shop, 9.1mpg in town, 11.7 on highway, not quite the power of my '08 diesel, but plenty good enough. Because of the gearing, it was virtually the same around town.