PDA

View Full Version : Retaining Wall Help

Eischeid
05-25-2011, 08:42 PM
I have looked here for advice on pricing tips and new technologies for the last year and I get some good advice but I also get a lot of bs and people being a smarta**. I'm just trying to do things the right way and for the right price because I don't want to be called a "lowballer" or be told I need experience from a bigger company. Any real help would be nice on how much to charge. I have access to all the necessary equipment to do a residential retaining wall.

Thanks...
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr.NewEarth
05-25-2011, 09:24 PM
http://allenblock.com look for "estimate your projects"

DVS Hardscaper
05-25-2011, 11:36 PM
best thing to do is a search on this forum.

oddles of infourmation. Especially from me.

Eischeid
05-26-2011, 12:18 AM
DVS. I've read things you've been saying. It sounds like you have a lot of experience. Can you explain to me when geo grid is necessary? I was going to use it on every wall four courses or more.
Posted via Mobile Device

andyslawncare
05-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Geo grid is specified by an engineer when a wall is over 4-5' tall. The geo grid helps hold the wall in place by using the weight and friction of the soil behind the wall. Very simple concept. Follow the instructions and advice that the wall block manufacture supplies you as far as safe height before geo gridding it, etc.

shovelracer
05-26-2011, 10:36 PM
Those numbers are under certain conditions. You can build a 10' wall in one situation with no grid and need grid with a 2.5' wall in another situation. There are plenty of sub 4' walls falling over in this area despite following recommended installation procedures. I grid 2.5' if it has a surcharge and everything over 3'. Before someone says something, yes I have seen a 10' wall engineer signed with no grid. The key was that it was directly in front of a rock face with 100% backfill of 3/4 clean. On the other hand my neighbor built an 8' wall with lipped 6" block with no grid and a slope and driveway surcharge, 1' of drainage, no fabric, and pure clay backfill. I would have bet it gone in 2 years, but it still stands 4 years later. There was a pretty high profile wall that fell over around here a few years ago. It was under 3.5'. The point is that each one is different. Always best to contact an engineer.

Eischeid
05-27-2011, 09:47 PM
How much do you charge per sq ft?
Posted via Mobile Device

PatriotLandscape
05-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Grottos is specified by the manufacturer and is not always determined by wall height depending on size and shape of the block. You can need grid on a two foot wall in certain situations. It is not needed on all walls so don't waste your money.
Posted via Mobile Device

Eischeid
05-30-2011, 07:47 PM
What percent do you guys try making for profit over materials? I'm going to do this stuff myself so I'm not going to have much overhead.
Posted via Mobile Device

PatriotLandscape
05-30-2011, 08:15 PM
50% gross 15% net
Posted via Mobile Device

Eischeid
05-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Okay so I have a project with about $2500 with materials what would you charge? Its a tapering retaining wall on both sides of the backyard. 1 side starts at nine courses and its 32 ft long the other starts at 6 courses and is 30 ft long. I would also have to take down and get rid of the old timber walls
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
05-30-2011, 08:56 PM
What percent do you guys try making for profit over materials? I'm going to do this stuff myself so I'm not going to have much overhead.
Posted via Mobile Device

I do not mark up materials. I sell labor. We make money from labor. Our supplier sells materials. They make money from materials.

Posted via Mobile Device

Eischeid
05-30-2011, 09:01 PM
So how much labor would you charge
Posted via Mobile Device