PDA

View Full Version : Exmark 32 with 8.5 hp engine?

Doogiegh
10-12-2002, 01:25 AM
Hey guys,
There's an ad in the local paper as follows: Exmark 32, Bobcat 48 with all new parts and a 6*10 trailer, call for negotiable prices........

So, I called the guy and here's what I found out.. Says he started out with the 48 and then bought the 32 2 years ago cause he's doing small residential and the 48 was too big to get into gates and he hated using a 48 for the front and a 21 for the back. Says he bought the 32 Exmark 2 years ago.. Goes on to say it has a 8.5 HP engine.... Did exmark just recently switch the 32 Metro to a 12.5 HP like I currently have from 2002?? Was 8.5 HP considered normal for a 32 a couple of years ago??

Says the 48 is a Bobcat that runs, but he hasn't ran it in the last 2 years.. It's an older machine, but it runs.. That's all I know.

And then the trailer. Says it has a single axle, 6*10, tires and axle are good, but the rear gate needs fixing.. Apparently 1/2 of the gate is off, and needs to be "re-welded"... whatever that means...

Now, pricing... Same he'd sell the Exmark for $800, the 48 Bobcat for $600 (cause it's older) and the trailer for $300.

I already have a 32, so *I* am looking at the 48 and the trailer. A good friend of mine wants a 32 for a large house he just bought and he doesn't want to buy a snapper or home depot brand Rider...

So any comments on the prices and what to check for? I'll be looking at these items on either Saturday or Sunday. Thanks!!!!!!

Gary

Richard Martin
10-12-2002, 05:20 AM
I don't recall ever seeing a Exmark 32 with a 8.5. The smallest engine I can recall is a 10.5 Briggs and I may be wrong about that. It must be pretty old.

vipermanz
10-12-2002, 05:45 AM
the only wb i even know of with an 8.5 would be a troybilt or sutech:confused:

Tvov
10-12-2002, 08:38 AM
Engines under 10hp on mowers less than 48" used to be common, but I am talking like 15+ years ago. The first walkbehind I ever ran was an old Bunton 36" with an 8.5hp Briggs on it. That is actually plenty of power for a belt drive 32 or 36" mower, as long as you are not mowing an overgrown field, and are willing to go a little slower. The 36" JD wb that I have now has a 12.5hp Kawi on it, but that is more so that it matches other equipment (ease of maintenance/parts) than the need for power.

Anyway, as Richard Martin stated, it must be pretty old. I am always leery of buying used commercial equipment depending on how much (and badly) it has been used/abused. It sounds like the equipment you described is old and pretty beat up. Just realize you may have to do some rebuilding to get the equipment to be dependable for commercial use.

FrankenScagMachines
10-12-2002, 08:38 AM
Regardless of whether it's original or not, an 8.5hp will work just fine for 32" even if it's a Briggs and Stratton. Your friend must be very intelligent to want a commercial walk behind instead of a cheaper *more affordable* rider!! :p :p :p
Sounds like a good deal on the equipment, the trailer thats giveaway price around here. Find out if they have hourmeters on any of the equipment and jot those down for us.
Good luck,
Eric

Doogiegh
10-12-2002, 11:23 AM
Thanks guys. I too always thought Exmarks had a 10 to 12 hp motor on them. Maybe the guy selling them is wrong and it is a 12, I am yet to actually see these mowers... I'll let you know when I see them though... He told me he financed the exmark 2 years ago and now hes moving and can't take the stuff with him to where he's going to.. so I thought it would be a new exmark.. but I guess maybe not.. I'll try to get a serial number to see if that would indicate as to when/how old it is. Thanks!
Gary

dlandscaping
10-12-2002, 03:05 PM
It might not be all that old. I know a guy with 2 32 metros one is a 9 and the other 8.5 hp. In the last 5 years they went to the 10-12.5 range and now only offer 12.5. It could be a replaced engine as well.

joed
10-12-2002, 05:49 PM
I've got a 1998 brochure from Exmark which seems to indicate that a 8.5 Briggs engine was available on the 32" exmark. After that, I think they jumped to the 10.5 hp unit. You may want to e-mail exmark either at their site or on this site to get confirmation.

Doogiegh
10-12-2002, 07:12 PM
Ok, went to this guys house today.

1) The Exmark Metro 32 has a 8.5 HP. Guy says he bought it new, like that from a dealer 2 years ago. (BullS!t) On the deck, under the transmission casing there is enough oil that I think you could bake 27 cakes.. I mean, it is THICK in a big jellied up pool of gook.. So this thing has issues. It ran, he started it up, no problem.. But seeing all that oil, no way.. Not for $800.

2) Bobcat 48.. Says it was running 2 years ago, but never used since.. Now, he claims that it is "Stuck" in gear, he doesn't know how to get it out of gear, and all of the handles and stuff are rusted into their positions.. He wants $600.. HAHAHA Couldn't test the machine, he says he doesn't know how to operate it, yet he had it working like he said 2 year ago. More BullS!T!

3) Trailer, 6*10. Was loaded with household CRAP on the floor, like a weight bench and all kinds of CRAP. Didn't look like it was ready for sale at all. The back tailgate he mounted on using a metal round pole, and some kind of pool hose brackets (the kind you tigheten with a screwdriver to hold on hoses and stuff...).. He says it needs a little welding to make it right on the driver side.. A little welding?!?!?! HAHAHA He wanted $300 for it. Didn't even look at the rest of the trailer, not worth my time.

Oh well, I think either a sucker will buy this stuff or he'll get a volume discount on newspaper ads cause it's not moving....

Said he had 10 people look at it.. No wonder it hasn't sold yet.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Gary