PDA

View Full Version : Have a office, place of business, nursery?

RwADesigner
10-12-2002, 02:27 AM
Hey guys...
Just wandering if any of you have business offices, nurseries, other than working out of your own house?...

We are thinking about getting a office and are really wanting to slowly get into the nursery business. It would be a small retail nursery but would be great for us, since we mainly do landscape design/installation. We are kind of weary about getting an office or nursery right now, because we dont know if it will pay for itself. Please let me know what you guys think....and if you do have a place of business with or without a garden center..just let me know how that is going and if you would recommend it...and maybe what to know first...when getting started. thanks

gus

Phishook
10-12-2002, 03:37 AM
NO not yet.

Am going to start remodeling my barn this winter just so I can keep work out of the house.

will have an office, bathroom and shower. Getting weatherd barn wood to finish the walls inside, just have to rip it off the old corn crib before Dad tourches it.

Using mostly free materials too keep the cost down. Just Have to buy the toilet.

greenngrow
10-12-2002, 08:18 AM
I have recently came across the deal of a life time.

A good friend called me up about a place about two miles from me.
The place sets on 2 acres and has a 30x60 block building. The building is broken up into three bays and on two story apartment. I had plans to rent out, but already had trouble with rentors. We had decided to turn into a office. My sister is a interior office designer and has offered to design the office for me.

I got this property for a song.

Gus, I would highly recommend that to move your business out of the home, or at least the equipment. I have four trucks and numerous pieces of equipment. It nice to come home and things look nice around your house. Especially if you live a neighborhood or subdivision.

bubble boy
10-12-2002, 11:44 AM
we have an office, moved in this past winter. just too much stuff for where we used to keep everything (subdivision). small, 1000 sq feet, 15 % office, with a bathroom. costs $850 Cdn. per month. in a commercial building, lots of other LCO's, maid services, small computer firms etc. a lot of $ but a necessary expense.

would love a nursury. or a house with a bit of land, so i could have all my stuff at hand. i wouldn't be bothered with a bit of a mess. and some say with that setup you never leave work. but im my head i never leave work anyway. after all, its sat morning and in on this damn website, aren't i???:D

greengrow that setup sounds like my dream. good place to get a few dogs too!

mowing king
10-12-2002, 04:57 PM
Rwa, don't get into the nusery business. If you are a landscape contractor continue with that, you'll make more money. The retail business is a different world. If you can make a good living as a contractor don't get into the retail world.

I did that once, We have a soild landscape company and I added the retail nursery, made sense at the time. My focus went off the landscape and it cost me. I was doing great in the landscape bus so i figured i could do good in the nusery. But I learned they are 2 very different businesses.

We have a shop and office. 8,000 sq ft of covered shops 4 acres of land and a house we turned into offices. A mulch holding area, composting area, stone plies etc. we stock alot of materials at the shop so we load from the shop and not at the stone yards.A big time saver is on site fuel and our plant holding area.

We get more work from having a nice landscape at the office and our signage than we ever got from the nusery. People call and say i drove past your office-shop and I want that landscape at my house.

stslawncare
10-13-2002, 11:38 PM
would like to bring this to the top, very interesting thread. anyone have pictures?? how about your shops? anyone have good ideas on how to incorporate a office into a shop? for my office i use half of our attic, works great i have a table with my stereo and scanner, a table with magazines and misc papers, a table to sit at and do work on, plus 2 large filing cabinets. tons of room to spare also. pc is downstairs for safety reasons (electric). at my old house i had an entired room w/ closet. had an 8' table as my desk, 45 gallon aquarium, china closet, filing cabinet and much more.

greenngrow
10-14-2002, 02:32 PM
As soon as I get things arranged I will post some pictures. Need to get building painted before winter. Don't know if this is possible.

LawnLad
10-14-2002, 08:01 PM
Manufacturing (nursery), retail (garden center), service (landscape maintenance) and contracting (installation) are all very different businesses. Though they would seem to have great synergies... which they do, it would be a challenge to run multiple businesses well. If you were heavy into installations then a nursery might make sense if you had the land. But I would think more for maturing and holding onto plant material that you use. Growing material from shoot size might not be cost effective depending on the size of your operation.

Retail is tough too. Retail requires details - and you can't close your doors when you want to, otherwise you'll loose customers. Sure you'd get a ton of referral work, but this business can be tough. You'd have to select your niche and work it hard to establish a clientle all the while supporting a boat load of overhead.

One person in charge of each division possibly - that can handle the marketing, operations and financial management of each.

When we looked for a location, we thought about retail so we could support the overhead with those sales. Ultimately I decided to stick with what I knew and what we're good at. Maybe some day we'll reconsider, but for now, labor is hard to find and good people even harder.

Lastly - separation of business from home is nice and had it's advantages stress wise. Though it is nice to have your business close to you at all times. I think it depends on how big you want your business to grow, the site requirements and your personal needs/desire to be near or far from the commotion and how much privacy you want.