PDA

View Full Version : Poa trivialis?

JCResources
05-26-2011, 12:27 AM
Can you all help me identify this irregular coloration in fescue?

My guess is Poa trivialis. This lawn has been treated with corn gluten meal in mid March and compost tea a few days ago, we have also had about 2 inches of rain in 2 days. The way I understand it Poa trivialis likes cool and wet which we have had plenty of lately.

Clients have not complained, I just want to be ready if they do.

Thanks in advance.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Resources/256225321177

ICT Bill
05-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Can you all help me identify this irregular coloration in fescue?

My guess is Poa trivialis. This lawn has been treated with corn gluten meal in mid March and compost tea a few days ago, we have also had about 2 inches of rain in 2 days. The way I understand it Poa trivialis likes cool and wet which we have had plenty of lately.

Clients have not complained, I just want to be ready if they do.

Thanks in advance.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Resources/256225321177

are you talking about the lighter colored, longer growing grass on the right hand side of the first picture? if so it looks like a inferior grade of fescue to me
Poa has a low growing, quick to bloom and seed habit

ChiTownAmateur
05-28-2011, 02:39 PM
When fine fescues first come up they often have a much lighter shade than they will after a month or two. To me it looks like a fine fescue and most likely either dormant seeded from work you did last fall or came up from a spring seeding of some sort. From my view you can leave it alone and it will blend in fine come 4-6 weeks or so.

HayBay
05-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Im gonna say Tall Fescue type is the lighter grass, Once again I wll agree with Bill.
I gonna go further and say you have a Kentucky Blue Grass Type there and some Clover and Broadleaf Plantain in it as well.

Common site when you only can spray FIESTA because of prohibition. Actually there would be a few dandelion in there too.

What I have read, because we cant use the stuff, but Certainty is a product that will kill Tall Fescue and not damage Kentucky Blue Grass, but if you have some rye grass in there it will thin out.
There might be a better product out now, but Certianty was the product a few years back