PDA

View Full Version : So would you be interested in something like this?

avguy
05-27-2011, 08:01 AM
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/may/27/on-guard-against-grass-mess/

White Gardens
05-27-2011, 08:09 AM
What's the difference between those and a set of Gators for hiking/snow shoeing?

http://www.activesportswearoutlet.com/unisex_ski_apparel/gators.htm

Knight511
05-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Maybe I have been doing it wrong for years, but I never have grass on my legs. Buy some khakis at Target for $14 and just wear pants... problem solved.

Exact Rototilling
05-27-2011, 09:42 AM
The product would only be of value to me if I was wearing shorts and had to tackle a fairly big weed wacking job. And i wore them over the top.of my low gaiters. :hammerhead: There is nothing to keep aeration plugs, bark mulch from getting into the back of low top.boots or shoes with these on. Actual gaiters made for hiking are clearly superior In keeping debris out of shoes boots. This is re-inventing the wheel. I actually keep chain saw saw chaps In truck for extreme weed wacking.

The gaiters I wear keep 99.9% of all debris from getting into my mid height or high top boots while wearing shorts. Going take a picture for you guys today. Bought them years ago for a mount saint Helen's south rim hike many years ago to keep pumice gravel. Nothing more annoying than getting pebbles, small rocks from getting in your shoes.

I even wear them under rain pants when mowing wet grass to keep ANY debris from migrating into boots. I can even rototill garden soil with a high fluff factor...works great.
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
05-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Yeah the short of it really is they've re-invented the wheel.

I've been trying to stay clean while working for years but what can you really do,
it's a job that involves sweat and dirt in some kind of fashion so in the end I had to
(somewhat unfortunately) settle for the realization that if you do this kind of work,
chances are fairly good that you're getting some kind of dirty.

And I wouldn't mind, say keeping my lower legs free of the bits of green that comes from weed trimming
but ultimately the trimmer is going to throw this stuff around and if it's not going on my pants and into
my shoes it still has to go somewhere, the question now is not only where is it going instead, but do these
chaps really do what they're supposed to and feel as comfortable as you say, unfortunately you're not the
first to promise the sky... I hear it every day, one learns eventually a strangers word isn't good enough ...

The way it usually works is I keep hearing these fabulous things about these new products like someone's so trying
to convince me so then I finally get all excited and by the time I'm all psyched up and ready to pull the trigger...
Ohhhh that's when they start with the "oh but" interjections and the problems no but really it's nothing other than
this, and that, and the other... So that by the time it's all said and done I'm no further ahead other than I've
wasted some time and money, maybe the purpose of this exercise was to leave me feeling a little bit dumber?

Throw the clothes in the washer, take a shower, repeat daily and
wash hands often, that's been my approach.

land_scaper70
05-27-2011, 11:40 AM
I just wear what are called "safari gaiters" the work fine at keeping rocks sticks and grass out of my boots. I have been wearing them for 7 or 8 years now, the ones that I have now have Velcro up the back so you can take them off without removing you boots.

BestImpressions99
05-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Any guys ever use leg guards for baseball catchers? I haven't tried them yet but if the summer is going to be as hot as it's lending itself to be so far I'm going to be wearing shorts this summer mowing.

land_scaper70
05-27-2011, 11:58 AM
These are the ones that I was talking about, Yea your legs get a little beat up from the grass and pebbles, but that is why I hire people.

TurnerLawn&Landscape
05-27-2011, 12:02 PM
just man up, been weedeating in shorts for 11 years now, after the first two weeks you only feel the "big ones" anyway, i do however have a problem with serious irritation, itchy as hell, flaking skin, some type of water like leak from affected areas!

macaw
05-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Take a look at these. I been using the strap chaps for years.
http://wechapps.weebly.com/knee-to-foot-protection.html

Runner
05-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Exactly...WEChapps... They are nice. And yes, they are padded. They have a removable foam that slides down inside and can be taken out when the canvas is washed. You can also pull the padding up a bit for when you are kneeling. That makes it nice.

Will P.C.
05-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Your working in dirt and grass all day so you are going to get messy. I get a little grass in my boots, but thats why they are work boots. Certianly not enough to buy this thing.

The few times I have had to weed eat large creek areas that were overgrown, I used chaps.

Chevy z71
05-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Read about this in the paper the other day i might get some and try them out.