PDA

View Full Version : Advise needed for my son....trimming job

johnwon
05-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Hi, I have a son who is 17 Y.O. and only does odd jobs due to being involved in sports.
My daughter has been working the same way on a local horse farm for a couple years now.
The owner of the horse farm is going to hire someone to do some string trimming around the farm and pay by the hour. They usually hire a kid/teenager for miscellaneous work around the farm.
My question is; If my son were to use one of my trimmers, how much extra should he ask per hour to use our own trimmer, gas, line?
I have 2 commercial trimmers; one is an old Robin 50cc brush/weed trimmer.
The other is a Tanaka 260 PFL 24cc trimmer.
Should I avoid getting my trimmers involved unless it is absolutely necessary?
Also what would be a reasonable rate per hour a teenager would expect to receive while trimming, if he were to go out and pick up trimming jobs? I'm thinking along the highway I live on, there are some steep banks in the fronts of some peoples house that the homeowner currently cuts down about once a month?
Thanks to any one who may advise: John

White Gardens
05-27-2011, 08:05 AM
10 an hour with their trimmer. 20 an hour with yours.

Just make sure that he wears safety glasses and ear plugs and either have the HO provide them or buy them yourself and get reimbursed.

topsites
05-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Yep, if it's just after school hours work for a little bit of cash I would advise if the farmer wants to provide his own equipment
to let it be, apparently the guy has had a system working for many years that works well for him and this may not be the best
thing if you owned a business but for spare cash it is probably best to follow his lead, just I will tell you it's going to be work and
not a whole lot of money, farmers work hard for a living.

You can ask for whatever you like, he might pay you 10, he might not, it's his farm and he hires kids so likely
this isn't his first one and I suspect if one won't do it the other one will, on the other hand it won't hurt to ask.

MOturkey
05-27-2011, 10:07 AM
One of our customers had a woman that did exactly that for them, and she was paid $15 per hour, and furnished her own trimmer.

probe1957
05-27-2011, 11:41 AM
I moved off of a horse farm last year. Just got to be too much work. There can be A LOT of trimming, especially along fence lines, so I would try to avoid using your equipment unless it is commercial quality. It should also be mentioned that the job may call for something other than string on the trimmer...some sort of blade.

johnwon
05-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the advise, my son is going to be talking to this man this evening. I think it maybe best to avoid using my string trimmers in this case. I'm thinking he may be insulted if I have my son ask for 5 to 10 more dollars per hour for the use of mine. It would be worth it to him though, because my 50cc trimmer can trim at least twice as fast as the typical trimmer that most people may have, who are not in the business.......
Plus I don't want to use up the life of, or incur "wear & tear" on my trimmer, without being compensated.
So thanks again, and if anyone else has anything to add, it would also be appreciated.

h2oskier
05-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Just don't let em take advantage of you son. Just my 2 cents, but i wouldn't let them think just because he's a teenager that they can get something for nothing.

Big Bad Bob
05-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi, I have a son who is 17 Y.O. and only does odd jobs due to being involved in sports.
My daughter has been working the same way on a local horse farm for a couple years now.
The owner of the horse farm is going to hire someone to do some string trimming around the farm and pay by the hour. They usually hire a kid/teenager for miscellaneous work around the farm.
My question is; If my son were to use one of my trimmers, how much extra should he ask per hour to use our own trimmer, gas, line?
I have 2 commercial trimmers; one is an old Robin 50cc brush/weed trimmer.
The other is a Tanaka 260 PFL 24cc trimmer.
Should I avoid getting my trimmers involved unless it is absolutely necessary?
Also what would be a reasonable rate per hour a teenager would expect to receive while trimming, if he were to go out and pick up trimming jobs? I'm thinking along the highway I live on, there are some steep banks in the fronts of some peoples house that the homeowner currently cuts down about once a month?
Thanks to any one who may advise: John

Do not let him use your trimmers. Have the employer furnish them. To get an idea of how valuable your equipment is in a situation like this, just call a couple of your local rental shops and see how much they charge just to rent a commercial trimmer. That would also not include gas and trimmer line. Around here it's around $40.00 for 3 hours. If they insist he use his own trimmer, help him buy a good commercial trimmer and charge accordingly. Maybe $10.00, or more, per hour for labor and $90.00 per day for equipment useage.

White Gardens
05-27-2011, 09:44 PM
my 50cc trimmer can trim at least twice as fast as the typical trimmer that most people may have, who are not in the business.......

Then it takes twice as long for your son to trim and that's twice as much money for him...

MOturkey
05-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Do not let him use your trimmers. Have the employer furnish them. To get an idea of how valuable your equipment is in a situation like this, just call a couple of your local rental shops and see how much they charge just to rent a commercial trimmer. That would also not include gas and trimmer line. Around here it's around $40.00 for 3 hours. If they insist he use his own trimmer, help him buy a good commercial trimmer and charge accordingly. Maybe $10.00, or more, per hour for labor and $90.00 per day for equipment useage.

Not trying to be a wise azz, but $90 a day for using a trimmer and what, maybe a couple of gallons of mix and $3 worth of trimmer line, plus $10 more per hour? If it were my horse ranch, and someone suggested that kind of charge for using their trimmer, I'd tell them to get back on theirs and ride off into the sunset. :) I'm sorry, but that is totally absurd. We're not talking a $10,000 Z here, we're talking a $325 piece of equipment that will probably last in excess of 500 hours and use maybe what, 30 to 40 ounces of fuel an hour?

I would think an extra $5 per hour added to the labor for using your own equipment would be reasonable.

Big Bad Bob
05-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Not trying to be a wise azz, but $90 a day for using a trimmer and what, maybe a couple of gallons of mix and $3 worth of trimmer line, plus $10 more per hour? If it were my horse ranch, and someone suggested that kind of charge for using their trimmer, I'd tell them to get back on theirs and ride off into the sunset. :) I'm sorry, but that is totally absurd. We're not talking a $10,000 Z here, we're talking a $325 piece of equipment that will probably last in excess of 500 hours and use maybe what, 30 to 40 ounces of fuel an hour?

I would think an extra $5 per hour added to the labor for using your own equipment would be reasonable.

I reread the op and I guess the first time I thought he was being hired as an employee. As a contractor your analysis is correct. It would be like any other mowing job.

johnwon
05-28-2011, 11:08 PM
Well, due to rain, this talk with the horse farmer got postponed until Monday. But, I feel that in a situation where the farmer is paying him by the hour, it will be better that my son uses their equipment.
As for doing trimming at a fixed rate per job, then it would be better to use your own equipment, fuel, etc.
Thanks again for all of the advise.

johnwon
05-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Then it takes twice as long for your son to trim and that's twice as much money for him...
I see your point.