PDA

View Full Version : Belt Drive Exmark Walk Behind

B&GLandscaping
05-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Has anyone else had trouble with the drive belts slipping off the pulleys? And thus engaging the brake(s). Then this smashes my fingers bc it engages the brake lever also. This happens even when the belts arent wet. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated, bc its a pain to have to keep putting them back on.

Thanks

Richard Martin
05-27-2011, 03:11 PM
It sounds like your belts are too loose. Break out the owner's manual and adjust them to specs. I had a Metro and the belts coming off wasn't one of the many problems it had.

B&GLandscaping
05-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Yeah only if I had a manual to go with it. Thanks for the insight though!

ProStreetCamaro
05-28-2011, 12:08 AM
It sounds like your belts are too loose. Break out the owner's manual and adjust them to specs. I had a Metro and the belts coming off wasn't one of the many problems it had.

What issues did you have with the metro? I was thinking about picking a new metro or bobcat 36 up tomorrow.

Hawkshot99
05-28-2011, 12:13 AM

Internet can find all (http://exmark.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProductType=2&Type=Manuals)

Richard Martin
05-28-2011, 04:44 AM
What issues did you have with the metro? I was thinking about picking a new metro or bobcat 36 up tomorrow.

It's been a while so I can't remember everything. Some of the issues were:

1: Spindles kept going bad after a couple/few hundred hours.
2: The deck cracked on the right hand side where the flat piece of steel that attaches the deck to the tractor frame is welded.
3: The safeties starting going out at about 1,000 hours or so.
4: There wasn't a way to keep gumballs from getting stuck in the drive pullies on the wheels. Every time a gumball would get stuck it would pop the belts off. My Ferris belt drive has a "comb" (for lack of a better word) that prevents this.

Merkava_4
05-28-2011, 04:58 AM
You guys aren't talking about the 21" Exmark are yuh?

Richard Martin
05-28-2011, 06:50 AM
You guys aren't talking about the 21" Exmark are yuh?

No. The belt drives. 36", 48" etc...

Richard Martin
05-28-2011, 06:56 AM

Fine tuning belts is almost an art. It takes practice and experimenting. If you get it right then belt drives are fine. If you get it wrong then you'll be on Lawnsite next week complaining that belt drives suck. Most people get it wrong. The best place to start is by reading about it. I can't explain how to do it and get it right.

Bajany
05-28-2011, 08:10 AM
The Exmark website has a list of free, downloadable manuals for their equipment. Find the one that matches your machine and you should be able to sort out your problem. Sounds a if a proper step by step adjustment/set-up may solve most of your problem. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

mdlwn1
05-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Fine tuning belts is almost an art. It takes practice and experimenting. If you get it right then belt drives are fine. If you get it wrong then you'll be on Lawnsite next week complaining that belt drives suck. Most people get it wrong. The best place to start is by reading about it. I can't explain how to do it and get it right.

What this guy says 100%...I will also add that safety wiring and related contacts can fail on MOST mowers within 100 hours...it's always been this way.

ProStreetCamaro
05-28-2011, 03:54 PM
It's been a while so I can't remember everything. Some of the issues were:

1: Spindles kept going bad after a couple/few hundred hours.
2: The deck cracked on the right hand side where the flat piece of steel that attaches the deck to the tractor frame is welded.
3: The safeties starting going out at about 1,000 hours or so.
4: There wasn't a way to keep gumballs from getting stuck in the drive pullies on the wheels. Every time a gumball would get stuck it would pop the belts off. My Ferris belt drive has a "comb" (for lack of a better word) that prevents this.

Alrighty then! Just got back with my new Gravely 36 belt drive. :drinkup: