PDA

View Full Version : Best way to let go clients

Tri-City Outdoors
05-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Over the years are route has grown tighter and tighter. Now we have a few remote accounts that a few year back were convenient! In all cases they are great clients. Also considering the last of our dust bombs. (non irrigated).

How would you handle it! Is it even worth doings in the first place!

BTW we are all ready only picking up new clients with in our current tight routes.

South Florida Lawns
05-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Raise their price!

billslawn89
05-28-2011, 12:05 AM
dust bowls, or weed patches are horrible. i do still have some, but some i would just tell them i have health issues and can't do their property no more..lol.. not worth it for me

greendoctor
05-28-2011, 02:52 AM
I would say that their property does not fit into your business model. I screen prospective clients very carefully and refuse lots of work from the start. I learned not to take non irrigated dust bowls where the only thing growing is the crabgrass and goose grass. The best screening tool is price. It is my belief that having to compromise on price then means you must do the same when on the other side of the checkbook. That is the difference between having to count every penny or living a comfortable life.

mdlwn1
05-28-2011, 07:52 AM
2 of the responses above are perfect.

Ric
05-28-2011, 08:59 AM
2 of the responses above are perfect.

mdlwn

I have a totally different recommendation.

I would contact Competitors who work that area and SELL THEM THE ACCOUNTS. They are going to end up with them any how. Why not make a last profit off of accounts?? I would of course send a letter explaining to the accounts that due to rising Gas prices and other costs you have elected to stream line your routes rather than raise prices. The company you recommending they use is doing the same. They have been a excellent customer in the past and you feel they will be happy with the new service provider. Of course thank them for the years of past business.

Now an up side might be a Trading of accounts instead of a sale of accounts.

I build my business by Buying out other service providers. First thing I did was Cull those yards that didn't fit my business model and Sell them to those who's business model they fit. Occassionally I would Trade accounts instead of selling them. It worked.

justanotherlawnguy
05-31-2011, 08:50 PM
just stop going, they will get the picture. I had an account like this in a neighborhood where I used to do 5 yards, that dwindled to 1 last year. It was a real pain and out of the way to go to her yard. I put it off for a couple of weeks and finally went last week. The yard had just been cut, and it wasnt me. SHame to go out that way, cause she was a good customer for a few years. Oh well.....

justanotherlawnguy
05-31-2011, 08:51 PM
Or what I have also done in the past is find another lco in the area and tell the guy that he can have the account, they usually jump right on it..

Florida Gardener
05-31-2011, 09:20 PM
just stop going, they will get the picture. I had an account like this in a neighborhood where I used to do 5 yards, that dwindled to 1 last year. It was a real pain and out of the way to go to her yard. I put it off for a couple of weeks and finally went last week. The yard had just been cut, and it wasnt me. SHame to go out that way, cause she was a good customer for a few years. Oh well.....

Wouldn't telling her the situation been a tad more professional??
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
05-31-2011, 10:20 PM
Wouldn't telling her the situation been a tad more professional??
Posted via Mobile Device

I was thinking the same thing but different folks to different strokes. Myself I would explain the issue and be honest and frank. Not going would most likely leave a bad taste in the clients mouth and word of mouth works both ways, you never know who they may know in a area in which you are currently working.

justanotherlawnguy
06-01-2011, 01:03 AM
Remember when you first started your lawn biz and would go on an estimate and ask the customer "why they are looking for a new lco?" and they would tell you that the lawn guy just disappeared! The first thing through your mind was probably "if I had this account, I would never disappear!" how can the lawn guy just disappear? Well it just happens.

Well as time goes on, that account may not be as appealing for whatever reason. ie: beautiful yard goes to crap because she gets a fence and the dog destroys the backyard 99% and it's a bigger waste of time actually showing up.

You ever been so busy that you lost jobs because you didn't get back to the customer in time and didn't really care about it?
Posted via Mobile Device

GainesvilleLawnscaping
06-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Remember when you first started your lawn biz and would go on an estimate and ask the customer "why they are looking for a new lco?" and they would tell you that the lawn guy just disappeared! The first thing through your mind was probably "if I had this account, I would never disappear!" how can the lawn guy just disappear? Well it just happens.

Well as time goes on, that account may not be as appealing for whatever reason. ie: beautiful yard goes to crap because she gets a fence and the dog destroys the backyard 99% and it's a bigger waste of time actually showing up.

You ever been so busy that you lost jobs because you didn't get back to the customer in time and didn't really care about it?
Posted via Mobile Device

In my opinion that is just sloppy work. To simply not showing up is just showing that you don't really care about your customers, just the money you are getting paid. Customers understand that with fuel costs sometimes you have to rearrange your route, but to simply stop going without any contact at all with the customer... well, isn't something I'd be bragging about like you are.

Tri-City Outdoors
06-01-2011, 01:52 PM
We would never just "not show up". That just has bad written all over it.
This is why I posted to get some Ideas. Decided to do a little of everything suggested. Except not showing. Some, I will raise the price or switch to monthly ie. make it worth the time. A few will be passed on by selling and giving. I'd like to return some networking favors.
BTW some were originally picked up because the now shows lco's. We have always focused on quality not quantity.
With the peak of the growing season starting. Gaps in the route take time away form the quality. So yes "You ever been so busy that you lost jobs because you didn't get back to the customer in time and didn't really care about it?" Could become a possibility!

capelawncare.com
06-01-2011, 03:16 PM
The first thing you should is raise thier prices to the point, that if they stay on with you, you dont mind being inconvienced. recently, I had about a dozen accounts that were like that. And I raised my prices 30 bucks a month on them. 90% stayed with me. The 2 that I lost, I really didnt mind loosing...