PDA

View Full Version : what would you do?

Dylan's Lawn Care
05-27-2011, 09:04 PM
I have been mowing a lady's lawn for the last two years and every day i come to mow the neighbors is outside doing something. He has always mowed his lawn but this year i seen the mower tracks were different in his lawn but did not think anything about it. Came to mow her lawn on a different day then usual this week, just as i get there i see a guy in a old ford with a old john deere pull up and start cutting the neighbors lawn and 3 other neighbors next to him. Should i go over and ask him why he never asked me for a price or just leave it alone. I never did anything that would make the guy not like me because i only talked to him once. Also after they got done cutting my cut job looked allot better and he has a nicer yard then the lady i mow for does.

Patriot Services
05-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Leave it alone. If he wanted he would of asked. Sounds like he went with Johnny lowballer anyway. When that old mower dies maybe then you should offer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Big Bad Bob
05-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Leave it alone. If he wanted he would of asked. Sounds like he went with Johnny lowballer anyway. When that old mower dies maybe then you should offer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Right. Leave it alone. He probably asked your customer how much you charged and opted to go with price over quality. Apparently your customer is happy with you or they would have gotten in on the deal the other 4 were offered by this guy.

topsites
05-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Yup, leave it the F alone, trust me you don't want to get your work this way, myob etc et al.

Peace out

Patriot Services
05-27-2011, 09:19 PM
He's probably doing all 4 for what you are getting for the one.
Posted via Mobile Device

QualityLawnCare4u
05-27-2011, 09:55 PM
I agree with all the above, leave it alone. The guy that is mowing could be his friend, nephew, son in law, drinking buddy etc. If he had wanted you he would have asked.

rain man
05-27-2011, 10:28 PM
I never did anything that would make the guy not like me...
Doesn't play in as often as we might like to think.
Should i go over and ask him why he never asked me for a price..
He already knows your price.

topsites
05-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Doesn't play in as often as we might like to think.

Except when we do NOT want it to, then it counts.

MOturkey
05-28-2011, 01:40 AM
Might be your pricing. Might not. Some people simply do not think. I've mowed places for 5 years, then see someone new across the street mowing the neighbor's. I always wonder why they didn't approach me, but then, I never approached them either.

I seldom do this, but if you are trying to build your business, simply going to all the neighbors in the immediate vicinity of a property you service and giving them a business card and the old, "if you ever happen to be in need of lawn service" spiel is probably a smart idea. The neighbors may have simply seen a flyer or ad from this guy, or maybe he was mowing for one, and asked the others and they got on board as well. May just have never occured to them to walk across the street and say, "Hey, what would you charge to do my yard?"

weeze
05-28-2011, 01:49 AM
i do a house on a road with about 8 houses or so...some other lco's do the other yards...i never approach a yard that someone else cuts...it's not a matter of can i get that account it's a matter of respecting other lco's...do you want someone to walk up to the house you are cutting and steal it out from under you? of course not...respect....something people need to learn to show alot more of in this world.

MOturkey
05-28-2011, 08:47 AM
i do a house on a road with about 8 houses or so...some other lco's do the other yards...i never approach a yard that someone else cuts...it's not a matter of can i get that account it's a matter of respecting other lco's...do you want someone to walk up to the house you are cutting and steal it out from under you? of course not...respect....something people need to learn to show alot more of in this world.

Agree, 100%.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
05-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Continue tone super friendly to all neighbors no matter who they are using. Eventually they will be yours.
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
05-28-2011, 09:22 AM

We have a saying where I'm from, it goes like this:
Never steal another man's work.

Patriot Services
05-28-2011, 09:45 AM
We have a saying where I'm from, it goes like this:
Never steal another man's work.

Should be a saying everywhere. People are confusing lack of ethics with agressive markerting
Posted via Mobile Device

BestImpressions99
05-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Why not... I know you're getting 1000% support (yes, I know I typed a thousand) for not doing anything about it but I'll throw down as well. Don't pee in another mans pot. You might find the pot back on you. That neighbor would throw you under the bus in a heartbeat with his LCO (qualified or not, he's still cutting grass and getting money for it). I'd like to give you an example:

One of my classes in college the guy I was sitting next to was an LCO as well. Got to talking with him and -wallah- all of a sudden two months later one of my customers (who has a different LCO cut his business... my classmate) tells me he's got a different guy cutting his house. I can't remember how I added it up (I think I flat out mentioned to my classmate, suspecting him... and he admited it). If it was the me now back then (I was very sheepish then) I would probably have slashed his tires (or at least wanted to) and gave him an ear full.

It's not only disrespectful but ask anyone in another type of business and they'll tell you it's shady (even though they still do it) to knowingly invade in another persons clientel.

rain man
05-28-2011, 06:11 PM
We spend on advertising in different forms, hang flyers, referrals, etc. but do not practice aggressive marketing in the field unless first approached. No view really on right or wrong, its the free enterprize system. Figure that if we do what we do to the best of our ability then aggressive marketing will only have a limited effect on us, and when it does we learn from it, change and become stronger. Does everything neatly fit into this nicely packeged view? Not all but it works for me.