PDA

View Full Version : Why do they not make a backpack trimmer?

madisonpressurewashing
05-27-2011, 10:25 PM
It seems like it would be easier on you , for you are not carring the weight of the engine or the gas tank. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTL0-JCPh1Q

topsites
05-27-2011, 11:00 PM
I don't get it, you just provided the link to a video of someone using a Tanaka backpack brush cutter and you're wondering about backpack trimmers?

madisonpressurewashing
05-27-2011, 11:09 PM
It was to give a picture of what I am talking about. You can't buy anything like that here in the U.S.A. I would like a backpack trimmer. I think it would cut down on the weight alot. This would be good for some people that have wrist problems.

nepatsfan
05-27-2011, 11:15 PM
You know that they have straps that you can put over your shoulder for a trimmer right? If you are looking to take some weight off..try one. I used to use one a long time ago when doing a cemetary. I would literally trim all day long. It was a lot more comfortable.

weeze
05-27-2011, 11:18 PM
yeah buy one of those trimmers with the bicycle handles on them...they come with a shoulder strap.

White Gardens
05-27-2011, 11:53 PM
Here, why couldn't you get this one???

Solo Backpack Trimmer (http://www.solousa.com/store/flypage/trimmers_and_brushcutters/skm_141_trimmer.html)

Alan0354
05-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Apparently Maruyama do:

http://maruyama-us.com/products/multicutter-systems/

Get the 30cc one.

madisonpressurewashing
05-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Apparently Maruyama do:

Get the 30cc one.

Wow! 5 year commercial-use warranty Well, you guys showed me that I stuck on the other brands to much and need to look around

madisonpressurewashing
05-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Apparently Maruyama do:

Get the 30cc one.

Comes with a edger also, http://maruyama-us.com/products/multicutter-systems/mc3021bk-sb/

jeasley
05-28-2011, 12:23 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Agape
05-28-2011, 03:04 AM
Wow! 5 year commercial-use warranty Well, you guys showed me that I stuck on the other brands to much and need to look around

Yeah, LOL
learn how google works.:laugh::laugh:

Alan0354
05-28-2011, 03:16 AM

I have to admit I am a big Maruyama fan. BUT I own two pieces of Maru.....The BL8100 big back pack blower and the HT2321DLR 30" hedge trimmer. I love them. Both are 2 pull max cold start and one pull afterwards. Both need about 20 second warmup only, and even at that, they don't bog on throttle, just not rev up to full rpm. You can still use it. By the time you put the blower on your back or oil the blade of the hedge trimmer, it is ready to rock. It looks to be built of high quality materials. The design of the gear box of the hedge trimmer is only equal by Shindaiwa and top Kawasaki models. Both are trouble free.

Because Maru is not as popular, you might still find good sales. I only paid $389 for the blower and $389 for the hedge trimmer.

White Gardens
05-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Yeah, LOL
learn how google works.:laugh::laugh:

What, like this.....

Backpack Trimmer (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Backpack+Trimmer)

THG
05-28-2011, 10:55 AM
I have never seen this Maruyama back pack multi tool before but I have to admit its got me intersted in checking one out. Anybody use one?

Alan0354
05-28-2011, 02:36 PM
I think they just came out. Must be just only for a few months. I don't think the 22cc and 25cc are of much use. I am even surprise the biggest one is only 30cc. You loss power driving through a flex tubing. I would like to see a 45cc bp so you can actually do some heavy duty trimming.

Agape
05-28-2011, 04:09 PM
I think they just came out. Must be just only for a few months. I don't think the 22cc and 25cc are of much use. I am even surprise the biggest one is only 30cc. You loss power driving through a flex tubing. I would like to see a 45cc bp so you can actually do some heavy duty trimming.

there's a lot of difference between my 87 dodge PU with a 5.2 liter and a mustang 4.6 liter, bigger combustion chamber doesn't mean more HP.:confused:

Alan0354
05-28-2011, 04:21 PM
there's a lot of difference between my 87 dodge PU with a 5.2 liter and a mustang 4.6 liter, bigger combustion chamber doesn't mean more HP.:confused:

But these kind of primitive engines don't have a lot of bells and whistles, the displacement is almost everything. The 30cc is rated 1.7hp which is no where close to something like the Stihl FS250 of over 2 hp. I think Tanaka has a bigger engine if they sell it here.

bmac1996acc
05-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Seems like it would be harder to use. On a regular trimmer the engine is a counter-weight to the trimmer shaft and head. With the backpack it seems like it would feel heavier because all of the weight is to the front of the shaft with no weight in back to balance it out.

THG
05-30-2011, 05:30 PM
I am going to see if the Maruyama dealer near me has any of these to look at. My normal two dealers dont carry this brand but I know one who does.

Patriot Services
05-30-2011, 06:15 PM
I hate wearing the backpack as it is. Especially in tight areas. I would expect it to use more fuel as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mickhippy
05-30-2011, 07:56 PM
That is me in the vid.
The BP trimmer/brush cutter isnt for all jobs all the time. Its a tool you get for a purpose.
It is not a tool you use for vertical edging or on small properties.
It is a tool you use for trimming large and difficult to reach areas. Its great on slopes as it has much better reach than a handle bar brush cutter.

That Tanaka is 40cc so its stronger than a 25cc trimmer but less powerful than a full blown 48cc brush cutter. It sits somewhere in the middle. I have cut some very long (5' tall) weedy grass and it did fine, just took a little longer to do than with a larger HB cutter but that same property needed a lot of fence trimming etc. One tool did it all.

Council (and myself) use these things for road side trimming like around trees, bollards, drains, concrete foot paths, kerbs etc. Much stronger and easier to handle when doing hours of trimming.

IMO, small (25cc/27cc) trimmers are for your run of the mill, everyday trimming.
Large handle bar (48cc+) brush cutter are for cutting very heavy growth where you need as much power as possible. (I have a Kawi 48cc brush cutter as well)
The BP trimmer/brush cutter is in the middle and used when there is a lot of trimming, large area trimming where mower wont go etc.

Say you have a new job thats over grown, or a job youve missed due to rain or whatever, some slopes and a lot of post and rail fencing, maybe a long drainage ditch etc. The BP trimmer is the machine you would use.

THG
05-30-2011, 10:22 PM
What video?

Mickhippy
05-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Try the first post of this thread!

SLR
05-31-2011, 04:18 PM

Yeah,that's right!..even my 1984CR80 blows the doors off my 1987 CR500..hmmff

BrunoT
06-04-2011, 03:04 AM
How are you gonna get the big guns if you miss out and don't carry the weight? Actually, the counterweight issue probably means it will feel awkward to use. Not to mention the issue of having that cable running down so that it might be awkward to flip from trimming to edging if needed.

THG
06-04-2011, 09:59 AM
I was mainly thinking this may be good for edging and/or hedge trimming versus daily use. All the questions could be answered by trying one out but the dealer that I knew has stopped carrying the line so I was not able to see one.

Patriot Services
06-04-2011, 10:11 AM
That tells me right there if a significant amout of guys aren't using them, then they probably aren't worth the cost. When a dealer discontinues an item it means it collected dust and took up floor space.
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
06-04-2011, 10:20 AM
That tells me right there if a significant amout of guys aren't using them, then they probably aren't worth the cost. When a dealer discontinues an item it means it collected dust and took up floor space.
Posted via Mobile Device

I believe we have a winner, I'll take this as the final, believable answer to the riddle.

Mickhippy
06-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Counter weight? WTF? the shaft is light as. You just guide the trimmer head. There is bugger all weight in the trimmer shaft its self. All the weigh is on your back.

I have already stated that they are no good for vertical edging. It is possible but you wouldnt want to do more than a few meters. But that is NOT there intended use.

Unless a dealer will let you demo a trimmer, people will be stand offish with a machine like this. They arent on the shelves here either, they are special order. I'd been doing acreage mowing for 10yrs before I got this thing. I seriously wish I bought one sooner!

They do look cumbersome and awkward but really, when its on your back and your powering through grass that even your heavy 30cc Stihl trimmer will struggle with, you'd wonder why you didnt get one earlier.

Seriously, Im getting frustrated. NON of you have tried one. Just because its not on the shelves dosnt mean its not a good machine. I have already stated, if you actually read my post, that they are not for every yard. They are for large areas, fence lines, ditches, slopes, for times when you'd do many hours on a trimmer like doing parks or working for the city. This is coming from someone who (funnily enough) ACTUALLY USES ONE!

I would go up against any one of you, using any trimmer you chose in a "trim off!" I would seriously kick your azz! Believe me, I AM NO NEWBIE wanna be mower man!

Now, I seriously dont give a toss if you get one of these or not. I have no affiliation with Tanaka whatsoever but, dont spout on with theories that you have no idea about! Its like me saying Scag walk behinds are rubbish. They must be because they arent in the shops here.

Patriot Services
06-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Indisputable fact in the equipment business. If there is a demand there will be a supply.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mickhippy
06-04-2011, 08:17 PM
I bet 90% of of the people on this site didnt even know they existed!

Chicken and the egg thing. Not on the shelves, people dont know about them. They dont know about them, there is no demand!

They are a purpose tool. Not everyone needs one. They are not absolutely necessary but after spending 100s of hours using one doing absolutely terrible, feral rubbish to trimming on multi million dollar properties, I consider it a luxury to use it. If I can get more done, in less time and feel less worn out at the end, I would consider that a good thing. Wouldnt you?

Patriot Services
06-04-2011, 08:49 PM
You make several great points. It does cater to a select market. Probably not residential or light commercial but under the conditions you describe it works. I don't see a guy shelling out money he can't even try on in the showroom. That's where the dealers are failing Tanaka. I've looked at several other pieces and seriously considered one. However the dealer only had 1 or 2 items in stock vs a Stihl dealer that carries probably 95% of the line and parts.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
06-04-2011, 09:03 PM

Chicken and the egg thing. Not on the shelves, people dont know about them. They dont know about them, there is no demand!

They are a purpose tool. Not everyone needs one. They are not absolutely necessary but after spending 100s of hours using one doing absolutely terrible, feral rubbish to trimming on multi million dollar properties, I consider it a luxury to use it. If I can get more done, in less time and feel less worn out at the end, I would consider that a good thing. Wouldnt you?

I do know that the some of the first brush cutters made in Japan had backpack carried engines and flexible cable transmission to the cutting head.

It is hard to get people to try the unconventional. It is my impression that the green industry is way too conventional. The illustration of this convention is how resistant the industry is to using counter rotating blades instead of string for trimming. Even though the machinery has been available for over 5 years.

I would love it if the engine for my Maruyama Multi-Cut system was backpack mount. Combine that with a 35 or 40 CC 4 cycle engine and that would be the dream machine. I can carry way more weight in a backpack than in my two hands.

Patriot Services
06-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Counter rotating blades are a recipe for disaster. String can do enough damage if you let your guard down.

greendoctor
06-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Must admit that blades will chop up drip irrigation tubing or lighting/irrigation wires strewn over the lawn.

madisonpressurewashing
06-04-2011, 10:39 PM

I watched your video over a year ago. I wish I could fly down to your parts and sit on a beach for a week.

Mickhippy
06-04-2011, 11:12 PM
I watched your video over a year ago. I wish I could fly down to your parts and sit on a beach for a week.

Thanks mate but the weather has been horrid this year! I dont think we've gone a hole week without some rain. You haven't missed much!
My local beach...

http://www.coastalwatch.com/camera/cameras_large.aspx?cam=1600&state=QLD&t=1:09:58%20PM&camName=Currumbin

madisonpressurewashing
06-04-2011, 11:41 PM
You are near the Gold coast? tHAT IS WHERE I WAS THINKING ABOUT GOING

Mickhippy
06-05-2011, 12:15 AM
You are near the Gold coast? tHAT IS WHERE I WAS THINKING ABOUT GOING

Yep, born here! I am in the the country but only 10min to that beach. The road out front go's past that beach in the vid.
Ive been to a few places around the world, including Hawaii, California and Vegas. The main tourist spot here is much like Honolulu but our beaches are 1000 times better. (No offence!) The tourist spot is Surfers Paradise. In that vid cam, you can probably make it out in the distance when the cam pans to the left. Its the classic tourist area with restaurants, over priced novelty shops, night clubs, arcades for the kids etc. Im not a fan myself but good for a look. If you do come over you have to check out Coolangatta. Its touristy but not as bad but it has awesome beaches, headlands, great surfing etc. It is where I would go if I was to holiday here, and we actually do!
Search "Images" of Snapper Rocks, Coolangatta, Kirra, Currumbin, Currumbin Valley (where I live) and you'll get an idea of where I live and surf.

If you want to know anything, let me know!

topsites
06-05-2011, 12:46 AM
Must admit that blades will chop up drip irrigation tubing or lighting/irrigation wires strewn over the lawn.

They'll do a lot worse when one of them comes apart for some reason and a piece of one goes flying towards the operator,
it can take a chunk of flesh right out of someone, why I stay away from blades especially the steel ones.

That's assuming the operator was paying attention and didn't just let the head get a little too close to say, the leg.

Counter rotating blades are a recipe for disaster. String can do enough damage if you let your guard down.

You are right, string will draw blood too, but it's more a road rash type of injury.
All it takes is one instant of not paying all the attention one should be paying, and zzziiiingg....
Good times, good times.

greendoctor
06-05-2011, 12:50 AM
I have had the landscape blades come apart due to metal fatigue after hundreds of hours of hard use. The blades do not fly hard enough or far enough to hurt someone because of the low rotating speed. I understand the danger of the brush cutter blades run at 7,000 RPM. However, I have had the Maruyama landscape blade hit me. They bounced right off my jeans and steel toe boots.