PDA

View Full Version : Best way to lock your equipment to your trailer?

l3randonf
05-28-2011, 01:03 AM
I am about to buy a small trailer with side walls that has racks for weedeaters as well. I want to know the best way to secure all of my equipment to the trailer while I am in someone's back yard and cannot see my equipment that is in the street. Or if I am at Home Depot, I want to feel like my equipment is all secure. Mower and all.

Is there some kind of rope/lock product out there that I could secure everything with?

Hoy landscaping
05-28-2011, 01:30 AM
Go to your local police dept. and ask for gun handgun locks. Maybe they don't do that in Texas but here the cops give out gun locks. i think its called project childsafe? something like that.

http://www.projectchildsafe.org/

they fit nicely on trimmer racks

weeze
05-28-2011, 01:34 AM
i wouldn't fool with it...a thief can cut chains, locks, or whatever with bolt cutters in a matter of seconds...just keep an eye on your stuff as often as possible.

knox gsl
05-28-2011, 01:37 AM
Use some extreme trimmer racks, they cost more but protct your gear much better.

topsites
05-28-2011, 01:43 AM
I can tell you one thing, I don't take my truck to no big stores where I'm going to be inside for how long
unless I absolutely have to, unfortunately I have read too many horror stories right here on LS about folks
having their equipment disappear and the folks at the store can't or won't do a thing about it so I'd rather
be safe than sorry...

Unless I have to have the trailer or the back of the truck for cargo space, I'll take my car.
If I have to have the truck and trailer, I unload as much stuff as possible first and leave everything I don't need behind.
Guess it boils down to using your head.

That having been said...
A big fat chain wrapped all through every handle of every handheld with a nasty padlock
to secure it all in one big loop helps as well, they can still take it but they either have to
cut through 1/2" steel with BIG bolt cutters or they have to take like 6-7 handhelds all bound
together away all at the same time.
It is unfortunately a hassle dealing with that chain all the time, but it keeps your stuff down tight.

The trailer itself is easy, get a locking pin, padlock the hitch latch, and padlock the chains holding the gate pins.

J & D Greens
05-28-2011, 02:26 AM
I am about to buy a small trailer with side walls that has racks for weedeaters as well. I want to know the best way to secure all of my equipment to the trailer while I am in someone's back yard and cannot see my equipment that is in the street. Or if I am at Home Depot, I want to feel like my equipment is all secure. Mower and all.

Is there some kind of rope/lock product out there that I could secure everything with?
I know that if they what it it is gone, but locks do keep honest people honest. and I would rather have a lock on every piece of equipment than to hand it over to some one. If you are interested in seeing how things are locked on my trailer check it out in my thread. Most of the locks have the same key or combo so I don't have to search to unlock and go from tool to tool. I built the cage and the ramp and they lock up also (very easily).
We can't worry to much about thieves that is way you need to have insurance on your tools. At least enough to cover if they make of with everything.
I have been lucky so far, hope you get some decent ideas from how I did mine and if I can help in any way let me know.

TNGrassCutter
05-28-2011, 02:38 AM
I know that if they what it it is gone, but locks do keep honest people honest.

I have never understood this saying because if they were honest they wouldn't be looking to steal your stuff even if it wasn't locked?
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
05-28-2011, 04:56 AM
I have never understood this saying because if they were honest they wouldn't be looking to steal your stuff even if it wasn't locked?

It's said because even an honest person might be tempted if given a golden opportunity.

The best you can really do is lock them up and make sure your equipment insurance has a full replacement value clause.

topsites
05-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

No, but removing the opportunity factor might remove just enough temptation,
although granted I essentially agree with you lol

poncho62
05-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Enclosed trailer....Out of sight, out of mind.

Open trailer, i would have stuff locked even if thieves can cut them.....for insurance purposes.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
05-28-2011, 10:51 AM
9 years and only a handheld blower taken. I don't have time to lock things up. Time is money. If you charge enough, loosing a trimmer or blower to theft is no big deal.I do factor in replacement of equipment into my pricing, maybe you should too. The bigger stuff is all insured, so if they want it, take it!

In the time you spend locking and unlocking equipment in a day, I just made another $50.The scum of the earth is going to steal it no matter what you do. Just move on!

James

weeze
05-28-2011, 04:30 PM
i just find it really weird that lawn equipment/tools is something that would cross people's minds to steal...out of all the things to steal lawn equipment has never even crossed my mind as something i would want to steal....theives are stupid believe me...one time my truck got broken into back when i was a teenager and worked in the mall....my truck was parked 25ft from the front door of the mall and they smashed the window and ripped my radio out....1st thing is a new window costs more than a radio so i should've just left it unlocked....second...my wallet was in my glovebox with $200 in it and they didn't even touch that yet they grabbed my ashtray which had some spare change in it....they could've just taken my money out of my wallet and went and bought a brand new radio.

944own
05-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Use some extreme trimmer racks, they cost more but protct your gear much better.

I bought the 2 place rack a week ago or so and while out mowing yesterday something happened to the lock and the key would not work at all. I had a drill in the truck started drilling out the lock so I could get a trimmer down and it took literally 5 seconds to get that lock to pop. I could open it faster with a drill than the key so im not so sure about my purchase now. I replaced the lock with a master lock.