PDA

View Full Version : White grass tips after new blades...

SHOF
05-28-2011, 02:55 AM
I recently noticed that my lawn had a glazed appearence to it. I began to look at the blades of grass and noticed that they were tearing. I bought brand new OEM SCAG blades that were sharp to the touch. I mowed with them, but I still got a glazed look after I was done. I use the same mower on my own lawn that I use commercially. All my commercial properties cut nice and clean and do not "glaze."

I have attached a few pictures of the current look. This only started recently. Could it have something to do with the grass type or the times I mow it? My lawn grows at an extremely fast rate and I mow 2-3 times a week. I currently mow at 4". Let me know any opinions or possible causes other than cutting blades.

Roger
05-28-2011, 06:15 AM
New blades are usually never sharp. The ones I buy always get sharpened before they are mounted on the mower.

jacup84
05-28-2011, 07:22 AM
raise your deck height by 1/4 of inch and see how it looks

mdlwn1
05-28-2011, 07:24 AM

probably this....

ALC-GregH
05-28-2011, 07:25 AM
Make sure the blades are sharpened. New blades never come with a sharpened edge. I started to wonder the grass type. Where do you live? It makes things a lot easier when others know the state when trying to help.

mdlwn1
05-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Keep in mind you are also cutting a super high percentage of seed stalks...and no blade will cut them without tearing. Additionally..something doesn't sound right. You're cutting 2-3 times a week at 4 inches? I would guess by looking at the pics that your heights have not been consistant as well as watering or something. The 1st and last pic look like you have TTTF in there as well. I am comfortable saying as a minimum you cutting heights have not been consistant as well as seed stalks being torn (normal). Beyond that, there is definately something else lacking consistantcy...lack of water with too much fert?

Merkava_4
05-28-2011, 07:45 AM
Some of those grass blades look torn rather than cut. I read somewhere on the internet that torn blades can leave grass susceptible to diseases.

EquityGreen
05-28-2011, 10:20 AM
It possible you put the blades upside down....
Posted via Mobile Device

SHOF
05-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Blades were put on in the right direction. I have had plenty of water from several storms and irrigation. My lawn is always green and lush, except for this. I am in Indiana south of Indianapolis. Grass type is mainly Tall Fescue. The cut heigth has only increased gradually and not varied. I started at 3 at the beginning of the year. I went to 3.5 and now mow at 4. I have never mowed higher and the lawn has never gotten out of control. After a day or two, the lawn greens up and looks fabulous again. It just appears this way after mowing. I am going to sharpen my blades again and see what happens.

weeze
05-28-2011, 02:23 PM
you shouldn't cut 2-3 times a week...that's too much...try 1 time a week.

SHOF
05-28-2011, 02:29 PM
I understand that, but this was never a problem before. I just find it odd that none of my other properties do it. I have high maintenance accounts I do twice a week as well, but they look great.

weeze
05-28-2011, 02:36 PM
is it dry there right now?...or really wet conditions?.....might have something to do with it...but doesn't make sense it would only do it on your yard and not the others.

SHOF
05-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Yeah.We have had a week of rain, but my yard drains well. It is getting plenty of water and nutrients. The lawn isn't as bad as the picture makes it look. That's an iPhone pic. I'm going to let it grow out and sharpen my blades again.

weeze
05-28-2011, 02:46 PM
ok try that and see if it works and let us know.

SHOF
05-28-2011, 02:59 PM
This is one of the properties I cut twice a week, about the same days I cut my own. You can see how fast it grows and the blades left after mowing. This is at 3" per request from the business. This was mowed the same day my yard was mowed.

mdlwn1
05-28-2011, 04:22 PM
There is something your leaving out of this discussion. I maintain KBG and TTTF at heights from 1-4". The 1 inch get cut every 3 days...the 1.5-1.75 areas are cut 4-5 days and the 3-4 inch areas are weekly.....all are dense as a plush carpet, keep in min though..when They no longer grow fast or don't need it...I reduce the cutting frequency because the turf can't handle the abuse unless it can out grow it. Cutting at 3" or above 2-3 times a week is bad for the turf..no time to recover from the stress/damage of mowing. If it's fed to require 2-3 mows per week.(at 3-4")..thats really overdone as well. The TTTF area in your pic is no longer growing like it was weeks ago..most of it's energy has gone to producing seed stalks which CANNOT be cut easily. Additionally....a heavy fed lawn in spring will run out of N just as it starts seeding..causing WAY MORE SEED STALKS (that dont cut well) Cutting 2-3x per week at this point is like shaving 4 times a day...your gonna start hurting. Also TTTF doesn't require the same amount of fert that KBG or Rye do. My guess is that it was jammed with fert and now its out of food....yet your still cutting. Grass needs to repair from the stress of traffic. The grass in the bottom pic you just posted is not soild TTTF and has NOT been cut consistantly 2-3 per week..or at a consistant height....I can tell, it's obvious.

SHOF
05-28-2011, 05:45 PM
I appreciate the response and agree with most of what you said. However, I did not fabricate this story. I stated the facts and they are not going to change. Don't say that I am leaving things out or making things up. You do not know my yard, my soil, or all the information to be contradicting me. I mow my yard on a consistant basis and at a consistant height. I have never had any problems like this in the past years of mowing the same way...

SHOF
05-28-2011, 06:03 PM
I am going to test my soil again to see if my fert plan needs a change

grass-scapes
05-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Looks like a fungus issue already. If you have to cut more than once, your fertilization is too high. Couple that with the wet conditions and high temps (if they are high overnight) and fungus issues. Diseased grass doesn't cut as well as healthy grass (speaking from personal experience)

Its hard to tell without a pathology test, but it looks diseased.

Cut back on the fert, give it some iron instead.

Snapper Jack
05-28-2011, 11:24 PM
I recently noticed that my lawn had a glazed appearence to it. I began to look at the blades of grass and noticed that they were tearing. I bought brand new OEM SCAG blades that were sharp to the touch. I mowed with them, but I still got a glazed look after I was done. I use the same mower on my own lawn that I use commercially. All my commercial properties cut nice and clean and do not "glaze."

I have attached a few pictures of the current look. This only started recently. Could it have something to do with the grass type or the times I mow it? My lawn grows at an extremely fast rate and I mow 2-3 times a week. I currently mow at 4". Let me know any opinions or possible causes other than cutting blades. I'M having the same issue from going to a 36" after years of cutting with a 21" mower. New blades resharpened,the same glazed appearance.

ALC-GregH
05-29-2011, 08:11 AM
I appreciate the response and agree with most of what you said. However, I did not fabricate this story. I stated the facts and they are not going to change. Don't say that I am leaving things out or making things up. You do not know my yard, my soil, or all the information to be contradicting me. I mow my yard on a consistant basis and at a consistant height. I have never had any problems like this in the past years of mowing the same way...

Heck, we don't even know where you live. It would help to know that when trying to help others. You asked for info. He's giving you what he knows based off the info you gave. He said there's more to the story and you said he doesn't know all the info. So, are you going to continue to leave out vital information to keep dragging this out or are you going to fill in the blanks so someone CAN help you?

mdlwn1
05-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Sorry guy..I'm not trying to say you are fabricating the story....just that the important details are being left out...as in (just a meaningless example)..we cut 2x per week but so much rain last week we had to go 10 days...etc

Sammy
05-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Too keep my backyard and garden area looking nice, I need to cut it every 3 or 4 days. (2X week)
I do not fertilize it. My front lawn gets mowed about every 10 days.

Both are cut at 3.5".

And yes, it would help if everyone, at the least, had their state listed for their location.

ALC-GregH
05-29-2011, 10:54 AM
And yes, it would help if everyone, at the least, had their state listed for their location.

I find this very irritating. As if the guys without a location listed are trying to hide from someone.

SHOF
05-29-2011, 02:47 PM
...... I am in Indiana south of Indianapolis .......

Heck, we don't even know where you live. It would help to know that when trying to help others. You asked for info. He's giving you what he knows based off the info you gave. He said there's more to the story and you said he doesn't know all the info. So, are you going to continue to leave out vital information to keep dragging this out or are you going to fill in the blanks so someone CAN help you?

I find this very irritating. As if the guys without a location listed are trying to hide from someone.

Perhaps actually reading the thread may help before opening your mouth... :nono:

Please stay on topic. If you have questions about my yard that may help trying to figure out my issue, please ask. I am not trying to create enemies...

Greyst1
05-29-2011, 03:22 PM

x2, same prob here. Went from 3.75 to 3.25 and experienced the same.

K-OS
05-29-2011, 07:06 PM
What if you were to try cutting it shorter like 2.5 inches. And maintain a cut of 3 inches every week. I find (for kentucky blue at least) that an early shave keeps the top part of the grass thinner, and easier to cut. The taller the blade of grass is ket, the thicker it becomes IMO.

Perhaps someone can concur?
Daniel
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
05-29-2011, 07:09 PM
What if you were to try cutting it shorter like 2.5 inches. And maintain a cut of 3 inches every week. I find (for kentucky blue at least) that an early shave keeps the top part of the grass thinner, and easier to cut. The taller the blade of grass is ket, the thicker it becomes IMO.

Perhaps someone can concur?
Daniel
Posted via Mobile Device

don't know about that. but i prefer to cut thicker lawns that thinner lawns.

i currently cut at 3.5 inches. and it's working out really well. the thicker the grass the less weeds pop up. and the taller the grass is kept the greener it stays through a drought.

i find the thicker the turf the better the cut. if the lawn is too thin you loose some vacuum and i've seen "hairs" left after cutting.

K-OS
05-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Another thing,

Always make sure to run full throttle. Make sure the blades are changed out for new ones when the edges get excessively round. And, a cut once a week should suffice, if not, total N % is too high and will incur diseases.

Dan
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
05-29-2011, 07:13 PM
just went back and read the posts. i must laugh at the guys who think new blades never come sharp. unless this is location affected it simply is not true.

i've never purchased a new blade that wasn't already razor sharp. i take them straight from the dealer and put them on the mower and mow a whole day with no problems. perfect cut every time.

NeighborhoodCut
05-29-2011, 07:32 PM
I would say that the frequent mowing is what is causing the grass to just keep getting torn versus a straight cut. I would agree with once a week cut. Give the grass some time to gain some growth.

lawnman3
05-29-2011, 07:52 PM
just went back and read the posts. i must laugh at the guys who think new blades never come sharp. unless this is location affected it simply is not true.

i've never purchased a new blade that wasn't already razor sharp. i take them straight from the dealer and put them on the mower and mow a whole day with no problems. perfect cut every time.

yep thats what i do too... works great every time ...

lm3...:):):)

K-OS
05-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Sorry i was unclear,

What i meant was the blade of the grass will be less thick, but the density will remain the same. Usually the top 1/3rd of the grass blade is thinner than the rest. But, if you let the grass grow long, each blade will be thick, thus making a difficult cut.

IMO you are cutting too high
Dan
Posted via Mobile Device

SHOF
05-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the responses. The new blades were razor sharp and cut other properties like new.

Is it true about the throttle? I run the lever at about 3/4. Are you talking about while driving going as fast as you can or giving it 100 % on the lever and going at your pace? If I go full throttle and push the levers all the way forward, it will beat me to death...

yardguy28
05-29-2011, 10:08 PM
i always mow full throttle. thats giving the engine 100% and as for my speed i adjust for the terrian. mowing faster on smoother terrian and slower on bumpier terrain.

Sammy
05-30-2011, 01:21 AM
I don't always mow full boat.
Depends on the conditions I'm mowing under.

Please put your location in your profile.

dgw
05-30-2011, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the responses. The new blades were razor sharp and cut other properties like new.

Is it true about the throttle? I run the lever at about 3/4. Are you talking about while driving going as fast as you can or giving it 100 % on the lever and going at your pace? If I go full throttle and push the levers all the way forward, it will beat me to death...

the idol needs to be all the way up

ground speed should be based off terrain and grass height/wetness

dhardin53
05-30-2011, 07:24 AM
Hot weather and then cooler weather will make the grass itself thicker and tougher I call it woody. I don't know your local weather situation but around her it has happened twice and some grasses get very tough to cut.

Roger
05-30-2011, 07:25 AM

i've never purchased a new blade that wasn't already razor sharp. ...

I have never seen a new blade that has NOT come directly from the shearing procedure. A shear cannot make a razor sharp edge. The shearing procedure is not intended to sharpen a blade, only make the form.

yardguy28
05-30-2011, 10:41 AM
I have never seen a new blade that has NOT come directly from the shearing procedure. A shear cannot make a razor sharp edge. The shearing procedure is not intended to sharpen a blade, only make the form.

all the blades i've ever gotten from my dealer for my exmarks and toros are always razor sharp and ready to cut grass.

they always have a coat of paint on them to prevent people getting cut when handling them but the paint fly's right off as soon as you engage the blades.

i've never sharpened a new set of blades until after a full days use. and i've always had perfect cuts. spring, summer and fall. no matter what the conditions are the cut has always come out perfect with new blades.

Lawn Pawn
05-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Could the ragged tops be caused by negative.... or not quite enough deck pitch?

Regarding the how sharp is sharp debate.....
Personally mine are always sharpened to an edge about the thickness of about four sheets of copy paper. Never to a razor edge. And they are NEVER allowed to become what would be considered dull.

But hey..... that's just me.

Snapper Jack
05-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Could the ragged tops be caused by negative.... or not quite enough deck pitch?

Regarding the how sharp is sharp debate.....
Personally mine are always sharpened to an edge about the thickness of about four sheets of copy paper. Never to a razor edge. And they are NEVER allowed to become what would be considered dull.

But hey..... that's just me.
I reduced the pitch on my Snapper pro 1/4" and solved my roughed edges. Blades never razor edged either.

Smallaxe
05-30-2011, 07:45 PM
I didn't read every page, but it may just be something similar to 'guttation'... after you cut, the grass continues to ooze, which then dries to that color...

Ridin' Green
05-31-2011, 12:04 AM
ALWAYS mow at full throttle, especially if the turf is thick, or at this time of year when it is seeding out and getting tough. When the seeding is over, the grass will usualy "soften" back up quite a bit.

All mowers are designed to do their best work when run at full engine throttle (not full forwards speed to be clear), and usually say so in the owners manual (though a lot of guys never read them until absolutely necessary LOL).

The size of the spindle pulley's, main drive belt pulley, and the pto pulley are all designed to work in unison at full engine rpm to give the best results, especially with stock lift blades.

Cutting blades that are running less than full throttle tend to "whack" the grass blades out of the way, rather than slicing them clean like they should.

Some guys run at less than full rpm to save on fuel, but in the not too distant past I ran several different tests with different mowers, and the extra drag on the cutting blades by the grass, especially when long or thick, offsets any advantage in fuel savings over cutting blades that are running/turning at full rpm and cutting cleanly/easily through the same grass.

SHOF
06-06-2011, 12:01 AM
I waited an entire week and mowed today. Got the same results. At this point I am going to contribute it to seed stalks and lawn health. I am going to adjust the deck pitch and height just as a test for the next mow next weekend.

K-OS
06-06-2011, 06:54 AM
Hmm in that last picture it seems like it got cooked. Watering issue perhaps? Are all your lawns like this that you cut with that mower?

Try not to be so hard on yourself bud, you definately seem to know what you're doing. Sometimes nature just likes to piss us off lol.

Take care, Dan
Posted via Mobile Device

SHOF
06-06-2011, 02:48 PM
That is a bad picture. The yard is not fried. There is a street light right there and that is what makes it appear that way. This pic was taken right after I mowed as it was getting dark.

I'm just getting frustrated. I have had a lush, green, healthy lawn for years with the same process every year.

All of my other properties mow great and look great. This only happens on my personal lawn.

willowick
06-06-2011, 03:07 PM
I used to get that with my old Kubota (1992). The new Exmark has significantly faster tip speeds and I don't have that problem anymore.