PDA

View Full Version : Woods ZTR for $250?!?!?! Quick Help

Doogiegh
10-12-2002, 07:34 PM
Ok guys,
I have come across a used Woods 51" ZTR thru a friend that is getting rid of it. Long story as to how it was acquired.. it was used on a site for the lawn maintenance. This site now contracts out their lawn maintenance and the mower left the property to go get fixed cause it wasn't running.. This site has now forgotten about this "junk" mower they had, they no longer need this mower cause they have someone cutting the site under contract, and the guy who fixed the machine up and is now stuck with it.. well, I'm good friends with him.. :) So he's offering this mower to me for $250.. How's this sound:

Machine is a Mow-In-Machine 1250, has a 12 HP Kohler engine mounted on the rear. Talked to my friend today, engine runs fine. Hydros are working as well.

Has what I believe to be a a 51 inch cutting deck, model D4412 on it.. Looks like it might need a new belt or 2 and probably 3 need blades, but that's it.

Also has a side-mounted blower with tubing that goes into a rear grass catching bag, model B7044-H8044 (if I can read my own handwriting) <G>.. Bag is cloth mesh, has some holes in it.. Don't know if the collection system works, but the machine looks to be in all the same condition.

Now, I looked in my phone book and there is only 1 woods dealer listed around.. Tires on the machine look good, my friend mentioned the accelerator cable is frozen, but that's about it. So if I buy this for $250, and have my woods dealer do a tuneup, am I crazy or sounds like it might work out? Not too sure what to do, but I'd love to get a smaller ZTR for $250. :)

Gary

Runner
10-12-2002, 07:41 PM
For 250 bucks, it doesn't sound too bad. It's worth that in parts to someone that has one. You may want to check around to see if there is a Grasshopper dealer around you. Depending on what year it is, for several years, the Grasshoppers were the mowers Woods used. Many of the parts are still interchangable.

LawnPro in NC
10-12-2002, 08:14 PM
I'll give 250.00 for it sight unseen. Let me know if yo don't want it.

Sammy
10-12-2002, 09:41 PM
cutting deck, model D4412....... Makes it a 44" deck I think. :confused:

MikeLT1Z28
10-12-2002, 09:52 PM
i'm thinking the same thing as sammy, 4412 = 44 inch deck and 12hp motor.

LawnPro in NC
10-12-2002, 10:05 PM
i'm thinking the same thing as sammy, 4412 = 44 inch deck and 12hp motor.

I have a 6215 Woods with a 61 in deck and a 21 hp deisel.

Doogiegh
10-12-2002, 10:10 PM
How do you like your Woods? Is it a good machine?

I think the problem I'm going to have is parts. There is only 1 dealer in my area that even lists as doing Woods products, and even he is probably 45 minutes away, 1 way... I called a bunch of local dealers today, they all said they could do a general tune up on the machine, but they can not even get any Woods-specific parts for it, if it needs any... :(

But I still think that for $250, if I can get it to run AND cut grass, then that is great. :)

How do these things do as far as deck overhang goes? Lots of trimming or are they good for mowing?? Can they pull any add-on items like a Trac-Vac or anything???

Gary

LawnPro in NC
10-12-2002, 10:24 PM
Well for the most part I like it. I probally would not buy another one though. It does and O.K. Job Compared to the Walker. It stripes O.K. and it will cut anything. Since I've had the walker it gets beat up a little. I cut rough stuff with the woods. But I also cut bigger lawns w/it. I have the vaccum system with it. It is Hell on leaves and the dump makes it even better. On the seat dumping.

Parts, I have found Kabota parts ie. Filters , belts and such at other places. The blades I buy for a 61" Snapper. Some of the parts you will have to get from woods. The dealer here loves them. I had to get a seat hinge the other day 23.95 plus shipping.

I did find a cross for the hydro fluid. Texaco Rondo 68.

For 250. I don't think you'll go wrong.

Try to find a grasshopper dealer they will most likely have the same parts.

Like I said I'll buy it for 250.

captdevo
10-13-2002, 06:52 AM
heck Gary, for $250 snatch it up!

you can always sell it and double your money on ebay....

homeowner or not, it's a cheap way to make some money.

geogunn
10-13-2002, 07:44 AM
dooghie--why did you even post this?

why didn't you just buy it?:confused:

GEO

MikeLT1Z28
10-13-2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by LawnPro in NC
I have a 6215 Woods with a 61 in deck and a 21 hp deisel.

well i guess that settles that! lol

Darryl G
10-13-2002, 09:34 PM
Doogiegh - I'm not sure I like the part about how it was acquired. Without a bill of sale from the original owner, personally I wouldn't touch it.

Doogiegh
10-18-2002, 01:23 AM
Well, I bought the Woods for $250.

It needed a battery, bought one and put it in tonight no problem.

Electric start works fine. The accelerator cable for "Fast----slow" is stuck on fast so I can't idle the machine down, but I'll get that fixed.

It runs fine. The hydro's are very sensitive to the touch. Even in neutral position on the handles, the machine will walk forward 1/4 of an inch per second if it's not perfectly in neutral.

Man, takes some getting used to for sure.. Sure is different than a pistol-grip walk behind. <G>

Now, tires on it are Grass-hoppers and they are sized 18*8.5-8. Anyone reccomend a tread pattern or a BRAND of tire to go with, cause these tires are pretty much shot..

I was cutting tonight my own property to test things out. It was RAINING at the time, after a period of 24 hours of rain on Wednesday.. So the grass and ground were wet. I found I could spin the tires easily, even when not turning.. I can tell the tires have almost no tread to them, they are almost smooth. They definatly would not be "Street-legal" if they were for a car. <G>
So, what do you guys use?

Now, it has a front-mounted deck. Remember the famouse D4412 model number.. Yep, 44 inches, 12 HP Kohler engine.. It takes 3 blades, each seems to be somewhere between 14-15 inches. (measured quickly in very dim light under the deck.) The deck is adjustable by squeezing a lever and pushing forward or back and that I guess lifts the deck up or down... But I have a problem as follows:

There are "L" shaped brackets that mount the deck to the frame itself. And there is the center pin that is a huge square rod that does all the turning and torquing to get the belts to turn the blades... The "L" shaped brackets on the deck go into the frame and get held on with pins and cotter pins hold the whole thing together.

There are 2 chains, one on each side of the frame that get attached to the deck.

I put the deck on and got the right side chain attached. I was able to do that by using a wrench to tighten the bolt that holds the chain onto the frame, therefore pulling the chain close to the deck and viola! I got it on..

Now for the left side.. Man, the chain is the same length as the right side, but no matter what I do, I can't get the chain anywhere close to the deck.. It's like 2-3 inches away.. I've raised the deck, stuck a car-jack stand under the deck to further prop it, and even used a come-along on the chain pulling it towards the deck and no go.. If I use that same wrench on this side, it loosens the nut that holds the chain on, so that won't work. And no, I can't flip the nut/bolt around cause it's a carriage bolt and the nut will rub on the frame and not work correctly...

Do the chains go on FIRST?!? I think if I do that, then I won't be able to get the "L" shaped brackets from the deck onto the frame and won't get the pins into the holes that hold it all together.. I know there has gotta be a trick, but I can't figure it out. Any help???

I think I'll put all new belts on it as well as tires. Probably do a general tune-up to it and get that accelerator cable unstuck.

The parking brake works.

I put it on my trailer driving BACKWARDS, up the ramp backwards.. Is that the way you guys do it??? Feels real weird to do, but I'll practice till perfect. <G> The blower on the deck works fine, the tubing for bagging is fine and the bag appears good. One small hole, but I'll fix that up with a wire tie or 2 and it should be good.. What a deal.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how my running, operating, economical $250 ZTR works out for me.. I know I can smell a Lazer in the future, but this is good for now. :)

Doogiegh
10-18-2002, 11:24 PM
Hey,
Any input guys?
Thanks!
Gary

Runner
10-19-2002, 05:06 PM
If you can send a pm to drgrass, I believe he can help you out. He runs Grasshoppers, which are about the same machine. Atleast I THINK the decks would mount the same way...

LawnPro in NC
10-19-2002, 09:28 PM
I use my foot to push down on the arm that holds the chain then attach it. It is a weight transfer arm. I hook it last. What year is the Machine I have the book that has the 44 in deck in it. Mine is a 99, but they are probally aboui the same.

Email and I'll give you my phone number and you can call me and we'll try to work it out.

I'll give you 300. for it now.

Oh, My computer crashed in the front yard the other day so here is the number. (252) 904-2722 Jimmy

digger1
10-19-2002, 09:32 PM
Been runnin' Grasshoppers for 7 years now. The Woods and Grasshoppers are basically the same machines. If you do not have Woods dealer close by, contact Grasshopper. Most parts should interchange.
Not sure about your deck but on the larger outfront decks, the chain you refer to is linked from the deck to traction bars on the tractor unit (both left and right sides by the drive wheels). This is a weight transfer system to transfer weight from the deck directly to the drive wheels for better traction and stability. On our machines the traction bars are held in the "up" position by a strong spring. Take a long pry bar to lower the traction bars closer towards the ground to connect the chain links to it.
Regarding tires, there are standard tires with the cleats (similar to sand buggy tires or ag tires) or you can opt for "turf" tires. If you mow flat ground, the turf tires do not tear up the ground as much especially if you do a lot of turning or when the ground is extremely wet. The bar tires are better if you mow a lot of hills or have to cut parallel to a slope since they help keep the machine from sliding.
Hope this is of some help.