PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted.pavers need to slope like a bowl

xtreem3d
05-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Wasn't sure how to title the post...mostly lawn,land and snow not alot of hardscape. In short , i have been working for this company for a number of years now. They are great to work for but in my years of work i have learned they don't like the words "no" .."i don't know" .. i can't" so in explaining this project there is no option to sub it or have someone else do it. i don't have a pic of the site yet but it will be about a 2500 sq ft (50x50) square shaped patio that will have some tables for the employees to sit during breaks. So..picture a square patio in front of you BUT at the farthest RIGHT edge there is a drain sewer that sits about 10 or so inches below the farthest LEFT hand side of patio and also sits well below the front and back of patio effectively creating a "bowl" at the end of the RIGHT side.
I'm obviously not going to slope the patio down 10" over a 50 foot span so i am planning on starting at the LEFT side slope the patio about 1/4" to 3/16" per 10 feet going towards the drain but at some point it will need to slope more abruptly in 3 directions to hit the sewer. I initially recommended they let us fabricate a raised lip to lift the sewer grate to the perfect finish height but they aren't sure about that. ( don't know why ..it would be simple). I have never sloped a patio in 3 direction , creating a "bowl" and would like some ideas or pics showing what you might have done. i normally use 1" gas pipe as sreed rods but i am guessing i will need to use PVC or something flexable to curve down to sewer? any ideas are welcome. i'm sure it's hard to picture through words so hopefully tomorrow i will have some pics from the site,
thanks in advance, hope everyone is having a great year so far
Steve

DVS Hardscaper
05-29-2011, 12:07 AM
I'd love to help you with the patio but I always have a hard time following this stuff. I bore easily. Primarily when lumped all in one paragragh.

But I did understand the part about "no" "i don't know" and "I can't"

My 6th grade science teacher had a big poster in the class room which said with a BIG X through it: I can't And then followed by "I'LL TRY. That poster has stayed with me ever since. And I drill that poster into my employee's heads and into my 7 yr old's head. And because of that poster, when I hear the words "I can't" - by blood pressure goes up. The only thing I learned from that 6th grade science class is NEVER say "I can't".

xtreem3d
05-29-2011, 12:35 AM
the pictures should help

JoeyDipetro
05-29-2011, 12:38 AM
I would try to convince them to allow you to raise the elevation of that sewer drain. Why would they be opposed to that?