PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining mower on tough lawns

nurumkin
05-28-2011, 11:04 PM
I am fairly new to the commercial side of lawn cutting. I have run a property preservation business for several years and am just recently getting my lawn cutting to a more professional level. Before this we didn't have that much so it was basically taken care of by our normal contractors with their own lawn mowers (usually a POS push they got at the local pawn shop). But we now have enough that my wife is going to be taking care of it. I bought her a 2008 john deere 657a to use. My concern is that these lawns are often times pretty bad, they can be 1 to 2' tall and the yards often have lots of stuff to hit (rocks, stumps, logs) that you don't see until you have hit them. Other then changing the oil more often (because of the extra strain on the engine) and sharpening blades a couple times a week is there anything I should be doing to keep the mower running tip top?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
05-28-2011, 11:08 PM
Why cut lawns that are so extremely hazardous to you and your equipment.
I would go after some regular maint. stuff and leave that stuff to the batwing mowers.

nurumkin
05-28-2011, 11:12 PM
well the bank pays us pretty well to make up for it, and I figure its worth it to have a steady stream of as many lawns as she can manage with no billing or marketing to mess with.

Dr.NewEarth
05-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Filters, lubing, tire pressure.

It would be prudent for each operator to spend the time getting to know obstacles on
your sites before they start.

I have even gone out with a can of red paint and sprayed
metal ground stakes that were an issue on one of my properties.

Before each cut, some-one should look over the site for garbage, sticks, rocks, and pinecones (pinecones will chip your blade like a rock!)

Grass that is cut at one to two inches is not very long.
Lawn mower operators should have no problem using due dilligence on your sites.

nurumkin
05-28-2011, 11:16 PM
sorry. I meant to say 1 to 2 feet not inches.

Thanks for the heads up on the pinecones I didn't realize that they were that deadly to blades.

VanAllen's Lawn Service
05-28-2011, 11:36 PM
how do you go about getting these accounts?

nurumkin
05-28-2011, 11:49 PM
There are generally a few large players in each state. Probably 95% of the people I know in the business got in it through a friend or a random conversation with someone. If I were trying to get in again I would probably try and talk to a broker (Realtor) that deals in foreclosures and ask them who the best property preservationist in the area are. Make sure you deal with one that hires you as a contractor because the ones that hire employees generally don't pay very well and you loose most of your write offs. If you are interested PM me and I can tell you more.