PDA

View Full Version : So who all is working monday?

ProStreetCamaro
05-28-2011, 10:32 PM
I am for sure. :usflag:

weeze
05-28-2011, 10:33 PM
i am...just doing one yard though :)

nurumkin
05-28-2011, 10:35 PM
I like holidays because of the lack of rush hour, but I hate them because all the weekend warriors are at menards. But to answer your question I will be working.

vencops
05-28-2011, 10:39 PM
'til lunch

ProStreetCamaro
05-28-2011, 10:47 PM
I am going to knock out 16 myself.

Kelly's Landscaping
05-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Yea its called Billing for May and washing the fleet.

desert rose gardening
05-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Not me:usflag: My customers would not be happy with me mowing when they are home and BBQing. And the other people that live around them would not be happy.:nono:

lukemelo216
05-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Nope. Were behind, but oh well. I am taking the time to spend it with some family and friends. The monday route consists of mostly route consists of mostly residential properties, so everyone will be home.

vencops
05-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Not me My customers would not be happy with me mowing when they are home and BBQing. And the other people that live around them would not be happy.

That's what's beautiful about no one living in my accounts.:)

The neighbors.......I'll take my chances.

ProStreetCamaro
05-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Not me:usflag: My customers would not be happy with me mowing when they are home and BBQing. And the other people that live around them would not be happy.:nono:

It is funny you say that because I find it to be the complete opposite. I have customers that i don't see often come out to chit chat and neighbors that are not typically home come out to get estimates. I pick up more lawns on weekends and holidays than I do through advertising. Actually most of our work comes from referrals.

jwsland
05-28-2011, 11:15 PM
I'd love a weekend off but theres a good chance I'll end up working. Not working a monday is a bad start to the week if you ask me.

05-28-2011, 11:37 PM
I am, just another day at the office. (yard)

knox gsl
05-28-2011, 11:43 PM
I will be at home maning a grill full of ribs. I also do my best to be off when the bank is closed.
Posted via Mobile Device

flatlander42
05-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Here is what my local weather man said on FB.......I thought about doing a few, but I'm not sure!

I've talked about the chance of severe weather for Memorial Day. I'll have more on that tomorrow. But I also want to mention that it will be a very windy day. High Wind Watches are already out for much of the area from 10am to 8pm as south winds will be sustained 35 to 50 mph and gusting up to 60 mph. Those kinds of winds can be damaging without a thunderstorm. Plan accordingly.

rain man
05-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Working. Don't like to change the schedule unless we have to.

Ijustwantausername
05-29-2011, 12:01 AM
Not at all. Just going to use that as a catch up day. Blades, Oil change, marketing, etc.

MLC404
05-29-2011, 12:22 AM
2 lawns then off to bbq

TuffWork
05-29-2011, 12:31 AM
I worked VERY hard to get monday off. Monday is usually the odd day we spend doing trees or landscaping projects or whatever else we get asked to do. It's almost always a full day and we got to where we were 2 to 3 weeks behind on "mondays work". I told my part time helper to help us all week for the last two weeks so we could hit some of these "projects" at the end of the mowing day and get caught up. We finally did. Thank God! I could use a two day weekend for once! That being said I will still be doing some oil changes, but that's okay because I get fidgety without anything to do.

siclmn
05-29-2011, 12:48 AM
I am working on Sunday so I don't have to work on Monday.

unkownfl
05-29-2011, 01:01 AM
Can't work Monday here. Gate guards won't let you in.

B&GLandscaping
05-29-2011, 01:27 AM
i def will be...catching up after all the rain days we have had the last two weeks

cut level
05-29-2011, 04:59 AM
Not working monday we worked hard all week to be off sun and mon
Posted via Mobile Device

Km81
05-29-2011, 06:57 AM
Monday is a national holiday for a reason. Have some respect for our veterans. If someone showed up at my house to cut my lawn on a holiday, they would be fired immediately.

yardguy28
05-29-2011, 07:06 AM

screw the people around your clients.

i never worry about anybody but my clients when servicing a client for anything.

the people that pay me the money are my first concern. i'm not gonna skip people on the count that the neighbors might get mad.

i should be working monday but i'm not gonna be because i'm tired. been working 7 days a week up until this weekend. i got caught up on mowings yesterday and the other work will just have to wait.

yardguy28
05-29-2011, 07:09 AM
Monday is a national holiday for a reason. Have some respect for our veterans. If someone showed up at my house to cut my lawn on a holiday, they would be fired immediately.

i work every single holiday except some times i'm off on christmas and new years day because there's no snow.

i work easter, thanksgiving, the day after thanksgiving, the forth of july, memorial day (except this year), labor day, etc.......

never had a single complaint from a client. i notify ahead of time the clients i plan on working for on the holiday to make sure it's ok.

IES
05-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Haven't decided yet. I have plenty to do but wether I work or not there will still be plenty to do. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

ProStreetCamaro
05-29-2011, 07:16 AM

Does the grass go on holiday and stop growing? Nope didn't think so. Im not making the rest of my work week harder trying to play catchup all week.

JB1
05-29-2011, 07:20 AM
we are all off on a three day weekend, we don't work holidays, no need to.

yardguy28
05-29-2011, 07:31 AM
we are all off on a three day weekend, we don't work holidays, no need to.

lets see your from southern IN and i'm from northern IN........

really with all this rain we've had and grass growing like crazy you have managed to stay on schedule or ahead to the point where you can take a 3 day weekend.

i find that very, very hard to believe.

every LCO i've talked to and know in this area is behind. the other day my buddy was behind 3 days of mowing. and thats just the mowing.

i'm behind 3 to 4 weeks in other services because i can't get anything done but mowing and thats when its not raining.

Km81
05-29-2011, 07:39 AM
i work every single holiday except some times i'm off on christmas and new years day because there's no snow.

i work easter, thanksgiving, the day after thanksgiving, the forth of july, memorial day (except this year), labor day, etc.......

never had a single complaint from a client. i notify ahead of time the clients i plan on working for on the holiday to make sure it's ok.

Does the grass go on holiday and stop growing? Nope didn't think so. Im not making the rest of my work week harder trying to play catchup all week.

2 Perfect examples of how to let your business run you, instead of you running your business. If every other company in the country can manage to not work on Memorial Day, then you can too.

JB1
05-29-2011, 07:45 AM
lets see your from southern IN and i'm from northern IN........

really with all this rain we've had and grass growing like crazy you have managed to stay on schedule or ahead to the point where you can take a 3 day weekend.

i find that very, very hard to believe.

every LCO i've talked to and know in this area is behind. the other day my buddy was behind 3 days of mowing. and thats just the mowing.

i'm behind 3 to 4 weeks in other services because i can't get anything done but mowing and thats when its not raining.

we have stayed right with all the mowing, still to wet for some of our dirt work, so we are having a three day weekend, and are still ahead of last year on work done even with all the crappy weather.

93Chevy
05-29-2011, 07:45 AM
I worked hard all last week and a half day saturday to have a 2.5 day weekend. We've been working 65 hour weeks so it's nice to have relaxing long weekend.

cpmai
05-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Not working here either-only holidays I will work is during the winter for snow plowing. I refuse to work any holiday's during the spring,summer and fall. Family is more important to me. We work our tails off to be able to take the holiday-especially when its a long weekend. I deserve a break and my guys do also and they appreciate it. I used to do the 7 day a week,16 hours a day,work all holidays years ago-have discovered its just not worth it. Its time away from family and friends that I'll never get back;I realized our company is way better off working like mad on our regular days to get caught up and stay on schedule.

Km81
05-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Not working here either-only holidays I will work is during the winter for snow plowing. I refuse to work any holiday's during the spring,summer and fall. Family is more important to me. We work our tails off to be able to take the holiday-especially when its a long weekend. I deserve a break and my guys do also and they appreciate it. I used to do the 7 day a week,16 hours a day,work all holidays years ago-have discovered its just not worth it. Its time away from family and friends that I'll never get back;I realized our company is way better off working like mad on our regular days to get caught up and stay on schedule.

+1 You are correct sir.

ProStreetCamaro
05-29-2011, 08:32 AM
I realized our company is way better off working like mad on our regular days to get caught up and stay on schedule.

I agree if you have employees but a solo guy like me knocking out 70 to 75 a week taking a day off makes the rest of the week absolute pure hell.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
05-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Laying a new patio no one at the house.
Posted via Mobile Device

grass_cuttin_fool
05-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Running a lil behind here...gonna mow 2-3 to take some of the load off this week...the ones Im mowing are '' for sale houses'' and empty

SimonCX
05-29-2011, 08:58 AM
Working just like every monday, the only thing closed is gov and banks everything else is open for business so why should I stop. I never worked on memorial day but couple years ago started and no one cared if I came because everything else is open.

LaLawnGuy
05-29-2011, 09:03 AM
I'm power washing a house(owners are @ the lake house), irrigation repair next door to him, and clearing out a bed for a new commercial account. THEN I'm taking the rest of the day off(hopefully).
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
05-29-2011, 09:13 AM
I'm all caught up, worked sat, so no mon, actually talked to a few customers and they said "I know your a vet please take your day" that was nice to hear.

ashgrove landscaping
05-29-2011, 09:21 AM
yup. working most of the day. I can't stand being behind because of holidays. Dealing with the weather makes things hard enough on the schedule.

TSB group
05-29-2011, 09:26 AM
It is not disrespectful to verterans to work on veterans day. These men and women died for all of our freedoms. If it is in the best interest of you and your family or your company to work, then work. These men and women fought for your right to decide how to live your life. Just take a moment to thank them for their sacrifice!

We are heading to the Legion Hall that we maintain throughout the year (for free) to some hot dogs, hamburgers, beers and good old American pride after a few easy commercial accounts. Figured with the weather here in the mid 90's I would do half and half over 2 days and cut down the time in the early season heat.

Quix
05-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Working here. With all the rain the ground has been so soft and I REFUSE to rut my customers property. They understand and appreciate that. Picked up a new account yesterday because their current lco rutted their yard.

ghunter502
05-29-2011, 09:29 AM
We are not! This will be the first memorial day in 12 years we have not worked. I only had a couple guys that showed any interest so I thought I guess we won't be working fine by me.

yardguy28
05-29-2011, 10:07 AM
2 Perfect examples of how to let your business run you, instead of you running your business. If every other company in the country can manage to not work on Memorial Day, then you can too.

considering i CHOOSE to work on the holidays, it's not really the business running me.

most holidays i CHOOSE to work. it doesn't matter if i'm behind, on schedule or ahead. the only excemption would be a holiday that falls on a sunday. i try not to work sundays unless i'm behind. but any holiday that falls mon. thru sat. i'm working no matter what my schedule looks like. thats not the business running me, thats me running the business the way i want to run it.

we have stayed right with all the mowing, still to wet for some of our dirt work, so we are having a three day weekend, and are still ahead of last year on work done even with all the crappy weather.

maybe you'd care to share you secret with us northern guys.

i haven't found a single LCO that isn't behind in mowing because of the weather.

i just got caught up yesterday and that was by luck.

topsites
05-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Working Memorial day :laugh:
That was funny.

rywnygc
05-29-2011, 10:19 AM
I think my wife prefers that I work on Memorial day. I lost a lot of good friends, and almost didn't make it back myself, on our last deployment. All this memorial day tv and everything just puts me in a bad mood. So yeah, Ill be out doing something.

Bumpmaster
05-29-2011, 10:43 AM
No family here, so nothing to do on Monday so I will be working. I just wash the truck and make the mowers look real nice and put American flags on the truck and stay on schedule.:usflag:

Patriot Services
05-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Nope, riding in a parade and party afterwards. It's one for me and one for my Homey's that aren't here to share it.
Posted via Mobile Device

ALC-GregH
05-29-2011, 10:59 AM
I think my wife prefers that I work on Memorial day. I lost a lot of good friends, and almost didn't make it back myself, on our last deployment. All this memorial day tv and everything just puts me in a bad mood. So yeah, Ill be out doing something.

Thank you very much for serving our country and fighting for our freedom..

KS_Grasscutter
05-29-2011, 11:19 AM
I am not working. It's the "off" week for a lot of my every other week ghetto Monday lawns anyway, so Tuesday shouldn't be too bad to get caught up again.

DLCS
05-29-2011, 11:36 AM
I sure hope all of you that said it was disrespectful to work on Memorial Day, do not patronize businesses/stores who are open. Around here, every gas station, convieninece store, box store is open. Best get all your shopping done today. The way I see it, if you have to work then work. Veterans fought for you freedom to do just that, be free.

Bumpmaster
05-29-2011, 11:40 AM
I sure hope all of you that said it was disrespectful to work on Memorial Day, do not patronize businesses/stores who are open. Around here, every gas station, convieninece store, box store is open. Best get all your shopping done today. The way I see it, if you have to work then work. Veterans fought for you freedom to do just that, be free.

Copy that, bring it on, come on, come in, come back!:usflag::canadaflag:*trucewhiteflag*

flatlander42
05-29-2011, 11:42 AM
For those of you going fishing....Don't pay any park fees....Don't put fuel in your boat...And I'll be damned if you can eat lunch or supper at any resturant after your done.

93Chevy
05-29-2011, 11:43 AM

Actually I don't plan on shopping or working tomorrow. I'll have a day off. Might do some shooting, maybe go for a day ride, who knows.

JB1
05-29-2011, 12:26 PM
considering i CHOOSE to work on the holidays, it's not really the business running me.

maybe you'd care to share you secret with us northern guys.

i haven't found a single LCO that isn't behind in mowing because of the weather.

i just got caught up yesterday and that was by luck.

its not just holidays we don't work, we don't do weekends either.

DLCS
05-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Actually I don't plan on shopping or working tomorrow. I'll have a day off. Might do some shooting, maybe go for a day ride, who knows.

My point was that some who complain about working on memorial Day are the first ones who patronize other business who choose to be open and have their emplyees working the holiday.

Exact Rototilling
05-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Been running Full throttle 7 days a weeks with lawn biz plus my other biz. Up late at night up again early.

Seriously considering a price increase on all my mowing accounts to further reduce my mowing load and focus on more profitable work.

MR-G
05-29-2011, 01:07 PM
no weekends or holidays here....ever....will be out on the boat on monday a.m. and grilling in the afternoon...you only live once...my kids are getting older and i want to enjoy as much of their time as i can before they are all grown up....we will be wakeboarding and tubing on monday.....phones will be off...lol

topsites
05-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Thank you very much for serving our country and fighting for our freedom..

Well, see...
It wasn't our freedom they were fighting for, at least I don't see things that way.

One war they were after that terrorist to send out a clear message, you attack the homeland, we attack you!
This particular war one might say it was about freedom and I'll give that it's probably something close to it,
all things considered I wasn't entirely against catching this fellow but at present we're still stuck providing
"protection" to a country whose own government and military isn't stable enough to sustain itself.
One could almost say we're fighting for their freedom, but then it's not America we're fighting for.

The other war is about petrol.
Read:
America's sons and daughters are paying for the luxury of $4 a gallon fuel with their blood
because $4 a gallon is still cheap, or lets just say it would be a lot more if it wasn't for them.
But it wasn't about freedom, it was about obtaining god-forsaken yellow liquid to be dumped down in the tank
of certain gas guzzlers because Americans just love to drive, that's what this was all about.

That's how I see things.

Exact Rototilling
05-29-2011, 01:27 PM
no weekends or holidays here....ever....will be out on the boat on monday a.m. and grilling in the afternoon...you only live once...my kids are getting older and i want to enjoy as much of their time as i can before they are all grown up....we will be wakeboarding and tubing on monday.....phones will be off...lol

My goal....someday....I hope.
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
05-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Well, see...
It wasn't our freedom they were fighting for, at least I don't see things that way.

One war they were after that terrorist to send out a clear message, you attack the homeland, we attack you!
This particular war one might say it was about freedom and I'll give that it's probably something close to it,
all things considered I wasn't entirely against catching this fellow but at present we're still stuck providing
"protection" to a country whose own government and military isn't stable enough to sustain itself.
One could almost say we're fighting for their freedom, but then it's not America we're fighting for.

Read:
America's sons and daughters are paying for the luxury of $4 a gallon fuel with their blood
because $4 a gallon is still cheap, or lets just say it would be a lot more if it wasn't for them.
But it wasn't about freedom, it was about obtaining god-forsaken yellow liquid to be dumped down in the tank
of certain gas guzzlers because Americans just love to drive, that's what this was all about.

That's how I see things.

We fought so you could have that opinion and be free to voice it!!!!! As a soldier I never questioned the politics that's not my job, my job was to go whereever and whenever I was called to go!!!!!!!! I personally trained (as a DI) thousands of Desert Storm troops and sent them to Iraq knowing I was responsible for sending the absolute best trained soldiers in the world in harms way, THANK YOU for serving :usflag: My business is American owned and American operated and will remain so as long as I am the owner!!!

Patriot Services
05-29-2011, 02:32 PM
We fought so you could have that opinion and be free to voice it!!!!! As a soldier I never questioned the politics that's not my job, my job was to go whereever and whenever I was called to go!!!!!!!! I personally trained (as a DI) thousands of Desert Storm troops and sent them to Iraq knowing I was responsible for sending the absolute best trained soldiers in the world in harms way, THANK YOU for serving :usflag: My business is American owned and American operated and will remain so as long as I am the owner!!!

I talk myself blue in the face sometimes. People are illusioned into thinking if its not on their doorstep it doesn't affect them.
Posted via Mobile Device

f50lvr2
05-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Working. Solo operation 22 yards on the schedule for tomorrow, no family so what else would I be doing?

I've never had anyone (even neighbors) complain about me mowing on a holiday. And like some others have mentioned these bank holidays are usually great for picking up new customers, I often pick up 1-2 new customers on these days.

Bumpmaster
05-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Working. Solo operation 22 yards on the schedule for tomorrow, no family so what else would I be doing?

I've never had anyone (even neighbors) complain about me mowing on a holiday. And like some others have mentioned these bank holidays are usually great for picking up new customers, I often pick up 1-2 new customers on these days.

I here ya. I normally do not pick up new customers on the holidays, just a few burgers of the grill as I ride by on my Z rider.

Deputy_Swan
05-29-2011, 03:23 PM
+1 :usflag:

yardguy28
05-29-2011, 03:41 PM
its not just holidays we don't work, we don't do weekends either.

my point was to whoever it was that posted that if your working on holidays the business is running you and your not running the business. making the assumption that working the holiday is forced thing. when actually with me it is not.

i choose to work the holiday. i could very easily have it off. i could very easily have weekends off. but i choose to work mon. thru sat. working sun when needed and working any holiday that falls in my normal business hours.

T.E.
05-29-2011, 04:07 PM
OFF! Going to spend time with the family.

Ridge89
05-29-2011, 04:36 PM
after all the rain we have been getting and finally getting caught up might as well stay on track...

R & R Yard Designs
05-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Ridge that's the truth right there. The guys have the day off but were working. we had 4 inches of rain in the past 2 days and more
this week
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
05-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Likely not. Taking time to spend with my family. Would not mow resi's anyway, too many people home cooking out. If anything, I might 2nd round app a couple of businesses but only if the rain stays away.

Will fly the flag proud, and go to our local Mem Day services however

dgw
05-29-2011, 09:28 PM
should we , probably, we have been putting in crazy hours

but i had some food and beer waitin for the guys friday when they got back, said, see you tuesday

get some rest , see the families , take care of your own yards

one day wont make up everything that needs made up

oh, and im paying them for monday

rywnygc
05-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Well, see...

Read:

That's how I see things.

Normally, I like your smart a** comments, I find them comical. This one not so much. I am sick of hearing the "it's all about oil" routine. Go spend a year or two in country and then tell me it's about oil.

I won't post about this again, so reply as you feel fit. I have been kicked off of 3 other forums because of this conversation. I just want you to know that soldiers who have been over seas, regardless of their political views, see this arguement as completely pointless. Once you have been over there, you know it's not about oil.

Patriot Services
05-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Normally, I like your smart a** comments, I find them comical. This one not so much. I am sick of hearing the "it's all about oil" routine. Go spend a year or two in country and then tell me it's about oil.

I won't post about this again, so reply as you feel fit. I have been kicked off of 3 other forums because of this conversation. I just want you to know that soldiers who have been over seas, regardless of their political views, see this arguement as completely pointless. Once you have been over there, you know it's not about oil.
X1 HOOOOAAAAAAHHHH!
BTW to the "its about oil" drumbeaters, there is none in Afghanastan. Just rocks, open sewers and 30 year old POS Russian mines your likely to hit trying to avoid an IED. Feel free to visit though its tourist season in Kabul.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
05-29-2011, 10:23 PM
i personally don't see why it makes a difference what holiday it is and why it is a holiday.

if you want to work on the holidays work, if you don't, don't.

there's no law or rule that says you have to work or not work on a specific holiday. everyone celebrates holidays differently or not at all.

also where is it a rule or law that if you work on whatever holiday it is you have no respect for what that is a holiday? the stupiest thing i have ever heard. just like everyone celebrates different holidays and celebrates them differently, every shows there respect for certain things and shows there respect differently.

just because i choose to work on memorial day, or veteran day, or the fourth of july doesn't mean i don't appreciate what soldiers have done for us. just because i work on thanksgiving doesn't mean i'm not thankful for anything. just because i work on easter and christmas doesn't mean i'm any less a catholic and don't respect or appreciate god and jesus.

who made up these rules that you have to take off work on these certain days to show your respect or observance for the holiday??? the world doesn't stop for these holidays so why should anyone else???

vencops
05-29-2011, 10:26 PM
^^I like that.

Patriot Services
05-29-2011, 10:29 PM
The world pretty much did stop on holidays. Back when people had respect for eachother. Now its 7-24-365 grab everything you can for yourself. I pity anyone who is so alone they choose to work instead of being with friends and family.
Posted via Mobile Device

93Chevy
05-29-2011, 10:30 PM
The world pretty much did stop on holidays. Back when people had respect for eachother. Now its 7-24-365 grab everything you can for yourself. I pity anyone who is so alone they choose to work instead of being with friends and family.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't have any friends and I won't be with family tomorrow, but I'm still not working. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

yardguy28
05-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

sorry your not gonna convince me it's a respect issue.

i don't believe for one second that those who work on holidays don't respect one another.

everyone celebrates holidays in a different way. some don't celebrate certain holidays.

if you want to take the holidays off and spend it with family and friends go right ahead. i have nothing against that. but for those who choose to work i say go right ahead. it doesn't bother me one bit. because i know not everyone celebrates holidays the same way and some only celebrate certain holidays.

the one's i have disrespect for are the one's who think the world should stop on the holiday. the one's who think just because they have family get togethers so should everyone else. the one's that think every business there is should be closed. the one's who assume everyone celebrates every holiday and everyone celebrates them the same or should. those are the one's i have disrespect for.

kind of brings to mind the issue i have with the minority trying to rule the country. the parents of one child who didn't want there kid to have to listen to the pledge of allegiance in school so now they don't say the pledge in school. the parents of one child who didn't want there kid hearing pray in school so now no one can pray in school.

instead of sending that one child out of the classroom so the rest can pray or say the pledge someone decided to listen to that one childs parents instead of the majority.

so lets take it a step further maybe. i wanna be able to sit in my backyard and have family over on my birthday and not have to listen to people mowing or working. people should have some RESPECT and take the day off........:laugh:

vencops
05-29-2011, 11:34 PM
I pity anyone who is so alone they choose to work instead of being with friends and family.

I'll show any man the respect he deserves.....until he gives me a reason not to.

That being said, I choose "both", tomorrow. I'll be working while my bride's sleeping (My son's at the lake with friends).

I'll still be home in time (lunch or before) to take her to my brother's pool. It's an industrial account I'll get started on at daylight.

I will sleep like a child, tonight.....and each after....with my approach.

p.s. -- Thanks for your service.

cpllawncare
05-29-2011, 11:41 PM
I say do whatever you want! I served proudly so you could!

Sammy
05-30-2011, 01:06 AM
This holiday is about people who "served and died" doing their duty.

MR-G
05-30-2011, 02:51 AM
its the greed in the usa that has been eating away at our very way of life...our values and traditions are a big part of what made this a great nation....personally, we will not service a residential acct on weekends or holidays...when im at home relaxing i sure dont want to hear all the noise and crap...i think that we will see a change back to earlier times when people respected each other more...

vencops
05-30-2011, 06:29 AM
Then I hope you don't:

*Take your family out to eat.
*Stop at a service station to buy anything
*Go shopping.
*Go to the grocery store.
*Etc..., etc..., etc...

And, while you're at it.....you could sit in the dark. If not, somebody's working today to ensure your power's uninterrupted.

This reminds me of the old Sunday blue laws rants by some of the religious zealots in the south (and yes, I live here). I don't care what you do on weekends/holidays. It doesn't affect me. That's how I show MY respect (not worrying about YOU).

Seems that ideal isn't shared, though (mutual respect).

ProStreetCamaro
05-30-2011, 07:42 AM
I say do whatever you want! I served proudly so you could!

:usflag: Thank you!

Getting ready to change my clothes right now to head out. Will be on the first lawns around 8:30. Would normally show up around 7:30 but I am waiting an extra hour.

grassman177
05-30-2011, 07:45 AM
getting ready to go mow myself in a few, no harm in working to get the job done. we took off yesterday for a change cuz i normally work 7 days a week.

93Chevy
05-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Then I hope you don't:

*Take your family out to eat.
*Stop at a service station to buy anything
*Go shopping.
*Go to the grocery store.
*Etc..., etc..., etc...

And, while you're at it.....you could sit in the dark. If not, somebody's working today to ensure your power's uninterrupted.

This reminds me of the old Sunday blue laws rants by some of the religious zealots in the south (and yes, I live here). I don't care what you do on weekends/holidays. It doesn't affect me. That's how I show MY respect (not worrying about YOU).

Seems that ideal isn't shared, though (mutual respect).

Maybe we could shut down hospitals and nursing homes also.

I look at it this way. Certain jobs need to be worked 7 days per week. Healthcare, public safety, and utilities are a few that come to mind. The owners, employees, and other volunteer staff understand that their jobs are on call 24/7 even if they don't like it. Certain other jobs really don't need to be worked 7 days per week. If you own a restaurant, give your employees a day off. If you own a store, give your employees a day off. I won't be patronizing businesses that I think "shouldn't" be open. But I will be using power and I will probably get fuel for my truck, but with my fleet card, that doesn't require the store to be open.

But nobody really cares what I think.

TSB group
05-30-2011, 09:08 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Wait you mean this isn't progress?

I am sitting in my house with no air conditioning (system finally died) waiting for my family to show up around noon to do some grilling, drinking and watch some band of brothers. Maybe play a little horse shoes too.

MOturkey
05-30-2011, 09:13 AM
The way I look at it, you do what you gotta do. Used to argue these same points with my Mother, who was quite religious. She didn't think businesses should be open on Sunday, but went out to eat almost every week after church? Her argument always was, "well, the restaurant is open anyway", and I'd say, "yow, but if NOBODY ate there, they wouldn't be."

Businesses are open on holidays because the public demands it. In many cases, holidays are some of their best days. Convenience stores are a good example. I don't think there is anything wrong with mowing today, or on Sunday, for that matter. I'm planning on mowing about 8 accounts today. All but one is commercial, and if I rolled up and they were outside with the grill fired up, I'd turn around and return at another time. Just the same as I would if it any other day of the week, or year.

MR-G
05-30-2011, 10:28 AM
some essential services should be open on sunday and holidays...but its only grass people!!! it can and will wait 1 more day....if you are a solo operator and need to work everyday then i accept it...u have to do what u have to do....but if you have employees, and they have families let them have a life and give them the time off..(paid if possible) they will be more productive when they are at work...imo if u cant make it on a 5-6 day work week that extra day isnt helping any....dont let life pass you by chasing the dollar.....enjoy it.

yardguy28
05-30-2011, 10:36 AM
i'm still laughing at the guys posting about how its a respect thing and how its disrespectful to work on weekends and holidays.

in this day and age it's anything but disrespectful. sure in an ideal world where the weather works with us all the time instead of against and we stay on schedule each and every day we could have every weekend and every holiday off.

but there are things called rain storms and droughts and heat waves that all hinder our work. this causes us to be behind. and for some working weekends and holidays is what is needed to catch up. we don't all have the luxury of having crews and employees to help us get caught up.

and again not everyone celebrates every holiday. not everyone celebrates the holidays in the same ways. some celebrate the holiday the day before or day after or weekend before or after or whatever.

respect is a 2 way street as well if you wanna talk abour respect. clients need to respect us that we have to get caught up sometime to better serve them. who wants a lawn company that is always behind in there services???

Patriot Services
05-30-2011, 10:46 AM
A local personality has a phrase I like to use. "You gotta learn how to work kid". Guys still can't seem to wrap their heads around the concept. If a single day puts you so far off your doing something wrong. Working 7 days a week means the business runs you. Work to live or live to work. Which one do you want to do?
Posted via Mobile Device

MR-G
05-30-2011, 01:53 PM
we dont run behind too often....primary schedule is monday thru thursday and fridays are left open for extras or rain day make up....that said we almost never have fridays off...it is still a full day....by having weekends/holidays off you eliminate a lot of burnout...i know its hard to grasp this concept for some but it is true...also the solo operator gets so bogged down they forget why theyre in business in the first place...if you really want to make money you MUST have a crew/or crews working for you....you alone will never be able to earn enough to be comfortable....you will work 6-7 days for years and years and get nowhere....this is not meant to put anyone down or to even say you have to have 20 crews....we do quite well with 3 crews of 3ppl on each....

JB1
05-30-2011, 01:59 PM
like I said we don't work weekends or holidays, my guys will do whatever work is necessary through the week so they don't have to. we have had a lot of rain this spring, but we just keep moving forward.

vencops
05-30-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm not sure I agree (on the solo operator), Mr. G. (respectfully).

But, it's off topic. Another thread....another time.

MR-G
05-30-2011, 02:10 PM
vencops, im talking about the majority of solos out there...there are a few that ive know over the years that do quite well as solo ops....it can be done.

rywnygc
05-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Due to another monsoon last night, I couldn't mow today. So I watched a parade and bought another AK-47. Not a bad day.

Chevy z71
05-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Due to another monsoon last night, I couldn't mow today. So I watched a parade and bought another AK-47. Not a bad day.

Cool what kind?

TNGrassCutter
05-30-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm not working, celebrating the holiday and a birthday. Grill some chicken and ribs, hang out by the pool and relax.
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
05-30-2011, 03:37 PM
some essential services should be open on sunday and holidays...but its only grass people!!! it can and will wait 1 more day....if you are a solo operator and need to work everyday then i accept it...u have to do what u have to do....but if you have employees, and they have families let them have a life and give them the time off..(paid if possible) they will be more productive when they are at work...imo if u cant make it on a 5-6 day work week that extra day isnt helping any....dont let life pass you by chasing the dollar.....enjoy it.

Exactly why I'm choosing to work for myself, I'm tired of the other guy taking the day off and sending me out to work all for his benefit, I don't have any employees at the moment but when I do, I won't ever require them to work round the clock 24/7 just so I can make a living off his back. If you have that much work you need to hire more people.

weeze
05-30-2011, 04:38 PM
the customer i'm cutting called me and told me to cut his yard today (monday)...i was like ok no problem...i don't have any plans today so i did it...now i have the rest of the day off :)

i never understood why jobs get memorial day off but i've never had a job in my life where i was off on veteran's day...go figure...they both fought in the wars...dead or alive they deserve our full respect.

nepatsfan
05-30-2011, 04:45 PM
We worked all day today. Handed out 6 business cards too. We were working at a business that was right on the parade route. There were people everywhere. A lot of them did say they thought we were a little crazy working today(in a nice way). I think we are going to work at this place every memorial day. I got more advertising there than if I bought a billboard.

Patriot Services
05-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Jason- So you loaded up and cut one yard? You allowed the customer to dictate your work schedule. If you get bigger you will learn the folly of both points. Congratulations, you became an employee today.
Posted via Mobile Device

ProStreetCamaro
05-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Not a single complaint. Got a waive by a couple customers I don't normally get to see. Hot as heck out today and heat index tomorrow of 105. Glad I worked today so I don't have to play catchup the next 4 days in the heat and humidity.

weeze
05-30-2011, 04:53 PM
Jason- So you loaded up and cut one yard? You allowed the customer to dictate your work schedule. If you get bigger you will learn the folly of both points. Congratulations, you became an employee today.
Posted via Mobile Device

i didn't allow the customer to dictate anything...they suggested i cut their yard at the beginning of this week...today was a day i had free time to do it so i chose to do it today rather than trying to stuff it into my schedule on another day this week that i already have filled up. time management...a skill you should look into lol.

nepatsfan
05-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

That is a good way to lose money:hammerhead:

MDLawn
05-30-2011, 04:55 PM
I kind of posted a similar topic in a thread of mine but just wanted to put out a thought. First it's your choice to work or not. Second for those that are putting the whole "Well gas stations, stores, supermarkets, etc..... are open so everyone should be working." You should think about this. The people who are working in these places probably have to because they are single moms/dads who could use extra money, un or under educated so they cannot get a better job, or some other circumstance. I'm sure the don't want to but they have NO CHOICE, they need the money. Those that are employed as police, fire, or utilities often get paid well (receive a salary) and have benefits......not so much for the $7/hr "store" workers.

The people on here own a business so it is their CHOICE to work or not. That is the difference to me. If the gas station/supermarket/store owner worked instead of his/her employees on a holiday that is their CHOICE. The owner who forces their employees to work makes it NOT the employees choice.

So if you want to work thats great, if not thats great too. But remember the people in these other places probably DO NOT want to work and/or DO NOT have that CHOICE.

Have a great Memorial Day!!! :usflag::usflag:

vencops
05-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Congratulations, you became an employee today.

Like we all aren't.....lol.

How many days in a row can you stay home to prove you're "the boss"?

Boss of "what" (at that point)?

nepatsfan
05-30-2011, 04:56 PM
i didn't allow the customer to dictate anything...they suggested i cut their yard at the beginning of this week...today was a day i had free time to do it so i chose to do it today rather than trying to stuff it into my schedule on another day this week that i already have filled up. time management...a skill you should look into lol.

Why dont you try looking into running the same cut schedule every week and scheduling other work around it so you dont look like just another lawn jockey who cuts lawns when he gets out of bed at noon and is at the bar by 4

weeze
05-30-2011, 04:57 PM
That is a good way to lose money:hammerhead:

didn't lose money...house is 5 miles away...drive 5 miles today or tomorrow...no difference...5 miles is 5 miles no matter what day you drive it on lol...see post above about time management :)

weeze
05-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Why dont you try looking into running the same cut schedule every week and scheduling other work around it so you dont look like just another lawn jockey who cuts lawns when he gets out of bed at noon and is at the bar by 4

this is a normal high paying customer...it's not "other" work...they are usually out of town alot so perhaps he wanted his yard to look good for the holiday or while he was home for a few days?...i dunno and i don't care....he is paying me to cut his yard so that's what i do.

nepatsfan
05-30-2011, 04:59 PM
didn't lose money...house is 5 miles away...drive 5 miles today or tomorrow...no difference...5 miles is 5 miles no matter what day you drive it on lol...see post above about time management :)

You drove 5 miles to go cut 1 lawn....see post above about being a lawn jockey and losing money

weeze
05-30-2011, 05:02 PM
You drove 5 miles to go cut 1 lawn....see post above about being a lawn jockey and losing money

drove 5 miles...hm...cost in gas? $1....made $100...how did i lose money?

nepatsfan
05-30-2011, 05:02 PM
this is a normal high paying customer...it's not "other" work...they are usually out of town alot so perhaps he wanted his yard to look good for the holiday or while he was home for a few days?...i dunno and i don't care....he is paying me to cut his yard so that's what i do.

LOL...re-read posts...you are having trouble following...I didnt say it was "other". LOL customer calls....
come cut my lawn today lawn jockey

you...YES SIR:waving::usflag: My customers know what day they are going to be cut every week. 100 customers...0 calls to ask us to mow..

What day do you want me to cut next week master

Patriot Services
05-30-2011, 05:04 PM
the customer i'm cutting called me and told me to cut his yard today (monday)...i was like ok no problem...i don't have any plans today so i did it...now i have the rest of the day off :)

i never understood why jobs get memorial day off but i've never had a job in my life where i was off on veteran's day...go figure...they both fought in the wars...dead or alive they deserve our full respect.

First line. Customer CALLED and said to cut me TODAY. You go on with your bad one lawn a day cuttin self though. I'm neither behind or ahead. That's what time management is.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
05-30-2011, 05:04 PM
LOL...re-read posts...you are having trouble following...I didnt say it was "other". LOL customer calls....
come cut my lawn today lawn jockey

you...YES SIR:waving::usflag: My customers know what day they are going to be cut every week. 100 customers...0 calls to ask us to mow..

What day do you want me to cut next week master

you are not reading my posts...i said i chose to cut it today....could've done it tomorrow or the next day but i didn't want to....just go away mr. big business man...i don't need your advice...enjoy your day off.

i did suggest to this customer in the beginning to get on a schedule but they didn't want it cut every week so i suggested every 2 weeks but then they said well sometimes it needs to be cut before 2 weeks so we agreed that they would call me when they need it cut and i would work it in when i chose to...so by doing this i am able to cut it more often than i would cutting it bi-weekly therefore i make more money...it's just one customer so not a big deal to work it in when i have time.

Patriot Services
05-30-2011, 05:07 PM
That's not what you posted. Stop squirming and take your medicine.
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
05-30-2011, 05:07 PM
perhaps he wanted his yard to look good for the holiday or while he was home for a few days?...i dunno and i don't care....he is paying me to cut his yard so that's what i do.

you are not reading my posts...i said i chose to cut it today....could've done it tomorrow but i didn't want to....just go away mr. big business man...i don't need your advice...enjoy your day off.

You really do have trouble reading....We worked all day today. You said he called you and off you went.

You just got speedbagged with words and ended up in a tangled up web of lies....damn

weeze
05-30-2011, 05:11 PM
what?...i didn't work all day today...he called me last week...i don't know what you are talking about....i'm sorry i typed that wrong earlier...he didn't call me today and tell me to cut today...he called last week and said he'd like me to cut it at the beginning of this week and i said i would do it today lol.

Patriot Services
05-30-2011, 05:11 PM
On a serious note. I really wish everybody could have enjoyed this day sans work. Only you know what you gotta do. Right now, I gotta get another half rack of ribs.
Posted via Mobile Device

93Chevy
05-30-2011, 05:13 PM
you are not reading my posts...i said i chose to cut it today....could've done it tomorrow but i didn't want to....just go away mr. big business man...i don't need your advice...enjoy your day off.

LOL, you're telling everybody about time management but you went out to cut just 1 lawn today. On a holiday. More businesses should follow your example. The world would be a lot better off.

nepatsfan
05-30-2011, 05:15 PM

I guess I was confused by this statement where you said he called you today(monday)

I said that I worked all day today when you said enjoy your day off...I actually said WE meaning myself and my employees.

weeze
05-30-2011, 05:15 PM
it's easy to misunderstand people when they type on a forum...you don't know what's going on and all of the details...i'm not a very detailed person when it comes to typing...i just generalize things...i don't spell out every single little detail when saying things but i hope i was able to clear that up...anyways have fun with your bbq. :)

nepatsfan
05-30-2011, 05:16 PM
what?...i didn't work all day today...he called me last week...i don't know what you are talking about....i'm sorry i typed that wrong earlier...he didn't call me today and tell me to cut today...he called last week and said he'd like me to cut it at the beginning of this week and i said i would do it today lol.

I forgot to quote this for the above post where you told everyone he called you today earlier

weeze
05-30-2011, 05:17 PM
I guess I was confused by this statement where you said he called you today(monday)

I said that I worked all day today when you said enjoy your day off...I actually said WE meaning myself and my employees.

i wasn't talking about you i was talking about me lol...yeah read a few posts up i explained myself...the guy didn't call today...he called last week and i suggested i do his yard today...sorry i can't keep up with who's who lol.

i said he called me to go cut his yard today...i didn't say he called me today...there is a difference lol...hard to explain in typing...

i cut his yard today...he called me last week...make sense?

nepatsfan
05-30-2011, 05:18 PM
it's easy to misunderstand people when they type on a forum...you don't know what's going on and all of the details...i'm not a very detailed person when it comes to typing...i just generalize things...i don't spell out every single little detail when saying things but i hope i was able to clear that up...anyways have fun with your bbq. :)

It's not that you didnt spell out the details clearly, it's that you changed the details to make yourself look better when questioned...

THE PROSECUTION RESTS

Patriot Services
05-30-2011, 05:19 PM

Now your confusing posters. I'm the vet having a BBQ. The other guy likes a football team. But your all welcome to some BBQ.
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
05-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Im only playing anyways....if you made money and you are happy ...good for you. Enjoy the rest of your day

weeze
05-30-2011, 05:21 PM
i didn't change things...i just can't type right for some reason....must be the 90 degree heat today lol.

jsslawncare
05-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Nope, I get holidays too.

MR-G
05-30-2011, 06:50 PM
back to work tomorrow....lol

GMLC
05-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Just got back from a long weekend camping with my family in vermont. It was a well needed physical and mental break. Did just mow my own lawn but back to business tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device

flatlander42
05-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Just finished last weeks mowing....For the first time the rain caused me to miss 4 places last week. Between the FERT and rain we have been getting I could not wait any longer to mow those accounts. Then I also did two other lawns. The one gal came out and said..."Working on a Holiday?".........I responded....."What's a Holiday?"

She just laughed and went inside. She is also self employed *hair salon*....and had several ladys in and out before I was done mowing.

TNGrassCutter
05-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Lol. Back to work tomorrow. Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

thelawnman
05-30-2011, 08:46 PM
I worked on my tan at the beach that is about it hahhahaha

SouthSide Cutter
05-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Went to Indy for Grandsons graduation. Seen a lot of guys working late Saturday. And they sure looked like a lot of yards were behind. I have been able to get everything done so far every week and starting on week ten and we have had a ton of rain. And still have the weekend off. All my Banks and commercial accounts are on Mondays and Tuesdays. If wife was off I wouldnt mow but she is worked and so did I.

M & MD Lawn
05-30-2011, 09:07 PM
i did, cut 7 today and it was the hottest day so far, it was a hell of a day

jwsland
05-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Ended up working. My buddy came over and cut down a disgustingly large dead leader in an oak tree that had potential of falling into my driveway for me. It was hot and miserable out. No parties no burgers, alot of water and sweat soaked t-shirts.

rywnygc
05-31-2011, 12:52 AM
Cool what kind?

Sorry for the delay, I was drinking and playing black-ops. Its a Romanian WASR AK-47 with a folding stock, pistol grip fore-end, truglo red dot optic, surefire tac light. Came with 6 mags and the bayonet as well.

Classic Cuts Lawn Service
05-31-2011, 04:23 PM
I did a few...as my dad used to say..."Just because it is a holiday doesn't mean the grass stops growing".

MR-G
05-31-2011, 05:25 PM
I did a few...as my dad used to say..."Just because it is a holiday doesn't mean the grass stops growing". thats my point...its just grass....lol:usflag:

Classic Cuts Lawn Service
05-31-2011, 06:20 PM
thats my point...its just grass....lol:usflag:

I still honor those who serve either way :usflag: