PDA

View Full Version : walking backwards

brantfordbandit
05-28-2011, 10:37 PM
when using your handmower do you walk forwards then pull the mower backwards on the return cut?

chuacro
05-28-2011, 10:42 PM
Why would you do this?

JRT01
05-28-2011, 10:42 PM
no. make a 180degree turnn and follow your last pass.. walking backward will leave a poor cut and not so strait stripes.

vencops
05-28-2011, 10:51 PM
It's all about the stripes, man. Haven't you heard?

ALC-GregH
05-28-2011, 11:09 PM
The way decks are designed, it's not made to cut properly pulling it backwards. Just turn around and cut it right.

SLMGT
05-28-2011, 11:25 PM
I've never considered it. Probably not too safe pulling a mower towards your feet.

Dr.NewEarth
05-28-2011, 11:32 PM
We maintain alot of small yards in home owner associations. My en-suite bathroom is larger than some of them. Much of the time you have no room to turn around.
We attempt to do a clockwise perimeter cut and then do straight lines.

If you pull the mower backwards, keep in mind that the cut will be a half inch shorter than a row where you only cut forwards. You may want to go forward and backward on
each and every row to keep the height consistent.

Also, when you pull backwards you may have a mess of clippings to go over again.

The owners manuals do not recommend going backwards as this practice can be dangerous.

If you are on a small flat surface and have checked your surroundings before you move, then I believe it can be safe to pull a hand mower backwards to cut an area.

I also put a piece of tape around the middle of the handlebar so that when the guys have to pull backwards with one hand and look over their shoulder,
they pull the mower from the middle of the handlebar and the cut is kept straight.

yardguy28
05-29-2011, 07:18 AM
i use every the mower the same, forward on the pass, make a 180 degree turn and forward on the next pass.....

pulling the mower backwards to cut the next row is a lazy homeowner thing and isn't very professional for those in the industry.

i've never seen a 21 incher leave stripes so i don't see how it would mess up any stripes and if you pull it back straight your lines will still be straight.

but still i think it's unprofessional and always reminds me of a lazy homeowner who doesn't really want to be out mowing his grass.

93Chevy
05-29-2011, 07:48 AM
If I'm doing fenced areas in HOA plans, I could care less. Tiny HOA front yards are a little more important. But I hate using machines without hydros, so I usually get frustrated when I have to hand mow and just try to get done ASAP.

brantfordbandit
05-29-2011, 08:14 AM
thanks everyone, maybe now my neighbor will believe me, i was wondering how you get a z turn up over a curb if you had to cut a medien or curbed island say at a commercial site.

yardguy28
05-29-2011, 10:10 AM
if it's not a high curb the z will run right over it. i deal with that on a daily basis. just drive the mower up the curb and then back down.

larger one's, if i can i'll back the trailer up to the curb so my mowers coming off the trailer ramp.

Darryl G
05-29-2011, 10:39 AM
I always back my mower over curbs at a bit of an angle so it's one wheel and then the other. I straighten it out to take both front wheels at the same time. To get down I just drive off forward...deck up of course.

As far as pulling a small mower...only for small areas when necessary.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
05-29-2011, 11:01 AM
never walk backwards when mowing!

James

ALC-GregH
05-29-2011, 11:04 AM
When you are trimming along fence rows, is the head of the trimmer out ahead of you or does it trail behind you some? The reason I ask is, I'm having a hard time with a new guys trimming and I'm trying to figure out why? As a right handed person, I walk backwards with the trimmer trailing and I always get the clean look I want. So far after 3 weeks, this guys work just isn't as clean. And he is not rushing through it either. Any suggestions would be great. Also, how do you teach a lefty to run a back pack blower right handed?:dizzy:

thanks,
James

They make a trimmer that spins the other direction. Might be something to look into. I use my trimmer the same way you do. There's times where a clockwise spinning trimmer would work for me but it's not something I NEED to have to get the job done right. As for the blower, good luck.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
05-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Sorry guy's. I started a new thread for this. Not sure how it got here.

James

loneryder
05-29-2011, 11:51 AM
when using your handmower do you walk forwards then pull the mower backwards on the return cut?

Many yrs ago I did it and lost half my big toe. Sun was going down and I was in a hurry. You know that wetnes that develops in the grass as the sun is going down, well my work booted foot slipped right under the mower while backing up. This was before those safety shields. That 5hp B&S almost stalled but kept on going. I had to crawl over and turn it off. Needless to say, I was grateful for morphine that day. Hospital told me that mower tramas were second only to chainsaws. It hurt like hell!!!! I don't bak up anymore.

JDiepstra
05-29-2011, 04:16 PM
This is the dumbest thread Ive ever seen. No you don't pull the mower backwards. And yes you can make stripes with a 21"

yardguy28
05-29-2011, 06:50 PM
This is the dumbest thread Ive ever seen. No you don't pull the mower backwards. And yes you can make stripes with a 21"

never said you couldn't make stripes with a 21 incher. but i have yet to see anyone except a couple of home owners around town who put rebar on the back of there mower actually do it.

i don't mess with stripes on my 21 incher. stripes aren't the most important thing in the first place.

i've seen some of the best stripes with the sheotiest cut in the world and i've seen some of the best cuts with no stripes at all.

i'll take the best cuts with no stripes over a sheoty cut with stripes any day of the week.

93Chevy
05-29-2011, 06:52 PM

Don't know how much you're around, but I've seen a lot stupider thread than this. I should starting archiving them on my personal computer and bring them up in situations like this when somebody says "this is the dumbest thread" because chances are...it actually isn't.

JDiepstra
05-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Don't know how much you're around, but I've seen a lot stupider thread than this. I should starting archiving them on my personal computer and bring them up in situations like this when somebody says "this is the dumbest thread" because chances are...it actually isn't.

hahaha ok you got me there.....