PDA

View Full Version : Mowing for free

ALC-GregH
05-29-2011, 12:11 PM
It seems that a lot of guys complain about all the worn out pick up trucks riding around with a riding mower and a push mower in the back thinking they are flying under the radar and are lowballers. How many of them do you think are going to their parents/grandparents home and cutting it for free? In the last few weeks I actually talked to a few guys fitting the picture and ALL of them said they don't do it for a living that they just cut families lawns for free to help them out. It never really bothered me at all to see them all over the place.

Imagine if none of them did this, there would be hundreds of accounts looking for a lawnboy. I think when they finally stop doing it, the person they were doing it for will seek out a lowballer price because they never had to pay for the service.

Any thoughts?

Bumpmaster
05-29-2011, 12:22 PM
If the lot next to a customer of mine is abandoned I will make my customer's yard a little bigger from time to time.

NeighborhoodCut
05-29-2011, 12:25 PM
This really irritates me, there are 2 old retired guys in my neighborhood with old beat up rider mowers going around cutting just for gas expenses. I didn`t see this til my business came up and had put out a few flyers. One of the guys even cut my accounts lawn without the homeowner knowing. He only cut the front yard. But still. The principal of the point is. Don`t lowball and hurt the lawn industry. People like us spend day end and day out learning about lawns to better them. For some average joe who don`t know crap about lawns to come in and lowball and steal work with bullcrap talk! But i guess when it comes down to it. You pay for good work. If you care about your lawn you wouldn`t go with these guys cutting for free whos blades never get sharpened or they mow in the same configuration everytime.

But the customers will see whos yard is looking better in the long run. :weightlifter:

ALC-GregH
05-29-2011, 10:53 PM
This really irritates me, there are 2 old retired guys in my neighborhood with old beat up rider mowers going around cutting just for gas expenses. I didn`t see this til my business came up and had put out a few flyers. One of the guys even cut my accounts lawn without the homeowner knowing. He only cut the front yard. But still. The principal of the point is. Don`t lowball and hurt the lawn industry. People like us spend day end and day out learning about lawns to better them. For some average joe who don`t know crap about lawns to come in and lowball and steal work with bullcrap talk! But i guess when it comes down to it. You pay for good work. If you care about your lawn you wouldn`t go with these guys cutting for free whos blades never get sharpened or they mow in the same configuration everytime.

But the customers will see whos yard is looking better in the long run. :weightlifter:

I think you missed what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a guy that cuts his mothers place for free. You see the guy riding down the road with a tractor and push mower and thinking they are lowballers when really he's just taking care of his mothers lawn. Does a nice job and all. IF <(big if) the mother paid someone to cut her lawn, it would be one more customer available. Now imagine how many of these guys you see riding down the road like this are doing just that, mowing their mothers lawn. Now when a LCO (that worries about lowballers instead of their own business) sees one of these guys that mind you is only cutting one or two at the most for family immediately thinks they're a lowballer. I just think it's funny.

Bumpmaster
05-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Lowballers are like cancer.:usflag:

Think Green
05-29-2011, 11:14 PM
I never have an issue with someone hauling around a single rider because they are probably doing what you describe. There is a need for patron-ism left in this world. Family does need help sometimes, however, because of this activity going on..........our city requires a license plate on all trailers......home made and prefabricated.
In the instances where a society where we are all out to make a living, it appears that everyone is doing our line of work to stay alive. It is true that others are doing mechanics, brake jobs, oil changes, fence work, illegal tree removals, and painting. Everyone seems to be a all-of-a-sudden professional in this business. I say let them go and make a family member happy. But if they ever dare cross my accounts........the small resi's then it don't take much to give the city privilege department a call.

If the inspector arrives to inquire......which they will...........they better be doing the lawn for a family member, because that is what they will ask about. Other than that.........you better have a city business license.