PDA

View Full Version : Tanaka TLE-600 vs. the other GX120 powered WB edgers...?

Exact Rototilling
05-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Ok....been using the Tanaka TLE-600 but wish it had more power and weight for really nasty thick over grown edges. Iíve though of adding a weight kits to the unit but still the power factor....? The 600 is great for moderate edges and touch up. I use an Echo PAS 265 with the curved shaft stick edger attachment but I only use it it in spots where I canít get the TLE-600.

So.....is there really any advantage of the GX120 powered units over the Tanaka....? This question if for those who have used the TLE-600 and the other GX120 powered unit out there. Every unit with a GX120 weighs 20-30 pounds more than the Tanaka.

I have an old 30+ year old Power trim with the original tired and weak brigs on it...thinking about repowering it with a GX120 conversion....?

Ultimately I just want the fastest WB edger for overgrown edges in production.

http://www.tanaka-usa.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/tle_600.jpg

http://www.powertrim.com/Model_300-H.jpg

http://www.wisesales.com/sitebuilder/images/6232-278x278.jpg

I MOW ALONE
05-29-2011, 01:29 PM
all others with the honda do have more power problem is that power does you no good when the belt slips. i had a true cut with the honda but like i said once you get into the overgrown stuff the belt slips. and the tanaka or any stick edger with a clutch will have clutch slippage in the super overgrown stuff. i have found the tanaka 600 to be the best out there. and if the edging is too far gone you must use a straight edged shovel to get rid of the heavy stuff first.

mdlwn1
05-29-2011, 01:57 PM
The Tanaka hands down. When I hear or see people complaining about the power, it's usually because they are trying to cut too deep or the blade cover is clogged with dirt. Also the motor will fall out of tune during cold/hot extremes. I routinely use mine to cut brand new bed edges in the lawn and wouldn't consider using anything else. Power?....a properly running 600 will saw through asphalt.

adamholz17
05-29-2011, 03:24 PM
I have both the tanaka and a little wonder walk behind. I do like the ease of use of the tanaka, and like how the handles are set up. The power on the little wonder is hands down better than the tanaka. I had the tanaka first, and thought it was great until I stumbled upon a good deal on LW. Since I have used the LW I havn't gone back to the Tanaka. Both are great edgers though, you won't go wrong with either.

Merkava_4
05-29-2011, 03:29 PM
We can't get the Tanaka out here in California; apparently it pumps out too much smog. :D

I like my McLane with the 3.5 HP Briggs. It feels a lot lighter than the Honda powered McLane.
I like the hight adjuster on the McLane better than the PowerTrim. The PowerTrim has that
little tiny spike that you're always trying to line up with a hole. The McLane has large gate
type notches; making it easier to adjust the blade hight quickly.

Patriot Services
05-29-2011, 03:35 PM
We can't get the Tanaka out here in California; apparently it pumps out too much smog. :D

I like my McLane with the 3.5 HP Briggs. It feels a lot lighter than the Honda powered McLane.
I like the hight adjuster on the McLane better than the PowerTrim. The PowerTrim has that
little tiny spike that you're always trying to line up with a hole. The McLane has large gate
type notches; making it easier to adjust the blade hight quickly.

I bought mine for all the same reasons.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
05-30-2011, 12:36 AM
Keep the posts coming...I'm toying with a new GX120 engine for.the power trim but I belive the dual belt Little Wonder just might have an edge over the power trim because it has dual belts.....thus less slippage....?
Posted via Mobile Device

Merkava_4
05-30-2011, 02:00 AM
I don't like the mower type handle on the Little Wonder and I don't like the hight adjuster on the right side either. After using an edger with the adjuster on the left side for 35 years, switching to the right side would drive me nuts. I've never had any belt slippage on a PowerTrim or McLane.

Exact Rototilling
06-01-2011, 10:47 AM
The Tanaka hands down. When I hear or see people complaining about the power, it's usually because they are trying to cut too deep or the blade cover is clogged with dirt. Also the motor will fall out of tune during cold/hot extremes. I routinely use mine to cut brand new bed edges in the lawn and wouldn't consider using anything else. Power?....a properly running 600 will saw through asphalt.

How does the TLE-600 fall out of tune? Do you have any peak performance tips?
Posted via Mobile Device

mdlwn1
06-01-2011, 05:46 PM
It's not so much that it falls out of tune, more like the carb is adjusted for a relatively narrow range. If it runs well during 85 degree/high humidity, it probably won't run that well in 40 degree/low humidity and vice/versa. Sort of like an 80's 2 cycle dirt bike. Simple to adjust...2 plastic screws on the carb...one is low range off idle, the other is a mid to high range. As for performance.....the only thing that really hurts them is dirt. It often enters through the air hose due to the hose rubbing on the wheel. Additionally most guys over tighten the air cleaner assembly on the carb itself causing the housing to warp..ruining the seal..allowing dirt to go directly into the engine.

Exact Rototilling
06-03-2011, 05:29 AM
Anybody ever use on eof these?

http://www.elietusa.com/professional/product.asp?Pag=15&pnav=;2;18;57;95;

ELIET KS 300 PRO

http://www.elietusa.com/images/nav/2/KS300PRO.jpg

Patriot Services
06-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Personally I hate that handle style.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
06-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Personally I hate that handle style.
Posted via Mobile Device

Have you used one? Yeah looks goofy ...I agree....I'm use to the tanaka 600 and power trim configuration...2nd nature.

Unit with GX160 is priced over $1300....
GX120 just over $1100...
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
06-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Ok with the Honda GX160 and tiping the scales @ just over 80 pounds looks like this would make quick work out of nasty thick overgrown edges.

Patriot Services
06-03-2011, 02:42 PM
I have and it just doesnt feel right. Then again I have been using McLanes for over 20 years. The bail safety switch has to go too.:usflag:

Merkava_4
06-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Anybody ever use on eof these?

http://www.elietusa.com/professional/product.asp?Pag=15&pnav=;2;18;57;95;

ELIET KS 300 PRO

http://www.elietusa.com/images/nav/2/KS300PRO.jpg

I'd take the engine off of that and mount it on my McLane. . . . . Does that answer your question? :D

Exact Rototilling
06-03-2011, 11:17 PM
I have and it just doesnt feel right. Then again I have been using McLanes for over 20 years. The bail safety switch has to go too.:usflag:

Did you try the GX160 version or the GX120 or other engine option...? If it was the GX160 was the extra power and weight noticeable....in a good way?

I really like how the Tanaka TLE-600 has the throttle and height adjustment configured....very ergonomically designed and instinctive. We have had a Power Trim in the family for over 30 years and that configuration is also more or less 2nd nature.

What concerns me about the Eliet is...where is the throttle control? Does the bail just disengauge the belts for the blades? What I have run into with edging in my area is hiting good sized rocks [very rocky soil here] and having the blade pop out of the edge and the tendeancy to strike and skip on the the concrete. With a GX160 going full bore hiting a good sized rock....then what...:confused:

Exact Rototilling
06-10-2011, 01:46 PM
I'd take the engine off of that and mount it on my McLane. . . . . Does that answer your question? :D

Looks like some did just that....looks like an older GX160 5.5 HP on a McLane

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/grd/2388175094.html

Patriot Services
06-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Almost makes me wish my B&S 3.5 would blow up so I would have a reason to do that.:usflag:

orourke15
06-10-2011, 05:42 PM
I have the Little Wonder with the 3.5 Briggs and love it. No complaints.