PDA

View Full Version : Some people I swear!

ProStreetCamaro
05-29-2011, 03:23 PM
This yard is directly across the street from my parents house (which is where we work out of). So this rentor knows what kind of work we do. He see's us every day coming and going and sharpening blades etc etc. So what does he do? He doesnt cut the grass and does not ask us to do it. Instead he waits untill the fence is just about vanished then ask if I can cut it. I said sure for $200 thinking he would not go for it. Low and behold he said ok so one day this week I am going to hack this down. People really are pretty stupid.

What would you have charged to just hack it down (no cleaning up the debris) just hack it down and trim around everything and done.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/1306682152588.jpg

topsites
05-29-2011, 03:29 PM
I don't know but considering I have never in 10 years gotten anyone to agree to a $200 mow which is more appropriate
for grass heights up to your head I would have certainly thought twice about calling my own neighbor stupid.

Patriot Services
05-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Its going to look like mowed hay. Are you planning on clean up afterwards?
Posted via Mobile Device

ProStreetCamaro
05-29-2011, 03:34 PM
I don't know but considering I have never in 10 years gotten anyone to agree to a $200 mow
I would have certainly thought twice about calling my own neighbor stupid.

This guy is a fruitcake. He is a very strange character. Got a foot of snow and he had a shovel sitting on the porch and he never shoveled anything. Being we are friends with the guy that owns the house and he lives in florida he asked that we look after the place. So we ended up shoveling and plowing it and never even got a thanks from this weirdo that's renting it. The only reason he asked us to cut is because we told the owner it hasn't been cut this year and I am sure he got on the guys case about it.

ProStreetCamaro
05-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Its going to look like mowed hay. Are you planning on clean up afterwards?
Posted via Mobile Device

Not really planning on cleaning it up to be honest and I told him its going to look terrible. I don't really think this guy gives a crap what the place looks like being its not his place.

yanks1
05-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Wow! Be careful, Who knows what lies beneath all that grass.

yardguy28
05-29-2011, 03:50 PM
personally i'd turn the job down. especially this season with all the rain and weather we've been having.

i currently am not doing any one time jobs or bi weekly mowings.

i also never leave a place looking like crap so i'm sure i'd charge at least $200 for a job like that because when i got done with it, it would look like it had been mowed weekly since the beginning of the season.

i don't do knock down jobs for anyone.

JDiepstra
05-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Ya know what if you can make money on it, do it. I can't tell you if its a fair price or not because I have no idea if the picture represents the whole property or not. One thing I will say is I would be cautious about the form of payment you receive. You could easily take a bad check from this guy.

Patriot Services
05-29-2011, 04:03 PM
That's a cash or credit card up front deal.
Posted via Mobile Device

ProStreetCamaro
05-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Ya know what if you can make money on it, do it. I can't tell you if its a fair price or not because I have no idea if the picture represents the whole property or not. One thing I will say is I would be cautious about the form of payment you receive. You could easily take a bad check from this guy.

What you see in the picture is pretty much the entire yard. It is pretty small. I didnt want to do it in the first place that is why I said $200. Figured if he went for it then it would be worth my time. If not then no sweat off my back. Plus it is directly across the street from my parents house where we keep all the equipment anyway. Im not to worried about a bad check. I can take 10 steps and be at his front door. :hammerhead:

Merkava_4
05-29-2011, 05:14 PM
That neighbor is getting a helluva deal for $200 !! :D

Raymond S.
05-29-2011, 05:57 PM
If he just jumped at $200 after not mowing the place all year chances are he has little to no intention of paying. I would require $200 in hand before mowing. Once you hack it down what are you going to do if he doesn't pay. You can only do so much from the front steps of his house. Sounds to me like the landlord jumped his case about it and he found an easy fix...make the guy across the street that bitched about his grass go ahead and cut it for him. Just sayin...
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
05-29-2011, 06:43 PM
What you see in the picture is pretty much the entire yard. It is pretty small. I didnt want to do it in the first place that is why I said $200. Figured if he went for it then it would be worth my time. If not then no sweat off my back. Plus it is directly across the street from my parents house where we keep all the equipment anyway. Im not to worried about a bad check. I can take 10 steps and be at his front door. :hammerhead:

that still doesn't guarentee you payment......

doesn't matter where the person lives. just because you can walk up to there front door doesn't mean your gonna get paid. the only one's that can make them pay is the legal routes like small claims court or collection agencies.

cash in hand before you even step foot on the property.......

Runner
05-29-2011, 09:12 PM
This is exactly right. And I would be amazed if he pays 200 bucks up front to have that knocked down - without shopping around. By the way,..this is exactly how my own lawn looked yesterday before I cut it. Yes,...first cut of the season. It is still laying like a hayfield, and I had every intention of vacuuming it up Monday. However,...now, with even more rain, it looks like I'll be working all day on others' lawns.

ProStreetCamaro
05-29-2011, 09:55 PM
No worries guys just talked to the owner of the house (friend have known for years) and he said if the guy didn't pay that he would pay us. I think the guy will pay to be honest. Would you stiff your next door neighbor? Would not be the wisest choice.

yardguy28
05-29-2011, 10:14 PM
No worries guys just talked to the owner of the house (friend have known for years) and he said if the guy didn't pay that he would pay us. I think the guy will pay to be honest. Would you stiff your next door neighbor? Would not be the wisest choice.

as i said where the person lives has NOTHING to do with whether you get stiffed or not.

the recourse to collect is the same whether the person lives next door to you or 5 miles away.

if i was gonna stiff someone, i wouldn't give a rats behind where they lived. whether they lived next door, across the street or on the other side of city.

you seem to have this idea that because your neighbors nothing can wrong. neighbors aren't always nice to each other.

hell i don't even say 2 words in a years time to the people that live to left or right of me. we hardly see each other at all and when we do, we almost never speak to each other.

ALC-GregH
05-29-2011, 10:23 PM
I think you should clean it all up. After all, you know the owner of the property AND you live across the street.

yardguy28
05-29-2011, 10:47 PM
they are neighbors.......maybe he should be neighborly and do it for free....help a neighbor out........

rjtlawncare
05-30-2011, 12:12 AM
What would you have charged to just hack it down (no cleaning up the debris) just hack it down and trim around everything and done.

Well you have in your area mowed roughly 8 to 10 weeks. So if the yard is a $25, $30, $35, or whatever price I just mutiple that by the weeks I have mowed in the season to date. So if its a $30 dollar yard and you have mowed for 8 weeks it would be a total of $240. If 10 weeks it would be $300 dollars. That price should be for full service IMO.

I hate it when people do this, and u come over and give them the price and their jaw drops. I tell them "If you had the kid down the street do it from the beginning the season AS YOU SHOULD HAVE it would have been that amount".

I would have ask him WHY DIDN'T YOU COME OVER AND ASK ME SOONER!!
ACTUALLY WHY DID YOU ASK HIM SOONER IF HE NEEDED HIS YARD DONE, WHEN THE GRASS WAS 2 FOOT INSTEAD OF NOW 4 FOOT???

zippin z
05-30-2011, 12:33 AM
The first time I saw that picture, I thought man must be the Boogie Man lives there.

Sammy
05-30-2011, 01:13 AM
$175.00 just a small yard.

scagman52
05-30-2011, 07:47 AM
Since its across the street from your parents and you know the owner of the property why don't you work something out with him? Do it on a regular basis and that way you make money and the neighborhood looks good.

ProStreetCamaro
05-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Since its across the street from your parents and you know the owner of the property why don't you work something out with him? Do it on a regular basis and that way you make money and the neighborhood looks good.

We were doing it regular while he had the house on the market. Didnt sell so he rented it out and part of the rental agreement was the person is supposed to take care of the lawn. It is small and should take a person with a push mower 20 minutes to cut it. But this guy is ultra lazy.

rain man
05-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Get the money first.

Robert Pruitt
05-30-2011, 09:33 PM
here in my town the city will put their sign out at about 18 inches. will give the owner 10 days. after that they send out 4 guys,1 to work and 3 to watch.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
05-30-2011, 09:39 PM
$200 bux..

sounds like you got a deal...

i would love to cut one of those every week for $200...

soloscaperman
05-30-2011, 10:39 PM
When someone leaves the grass that tall it means there cheap or are broke. I don't care if your mom owns it, get the money upfront. If he makes a big deal about it, RUN!!! Chances are this will stress out your spindles and belts. I would mow it half of the deck so you don't stress your mower.

BINKY1902
05-30-2011, 10:54 PM
I got a call to do an estimate that was about that bad last year. I told the guy no way, I couldn't do it. The guy got ticked off for some reason, but there was no way I could put my equipment on it. On the way back to the truck, wading through the grass, I saw a coiled up clothes line cable, about 20 ft of wadded up chain, and numerous beer bottles, not to mention a water faucet piped right into the middle of the yard. Not worth the risk to me. It might be worth it though if you have an old beat up push mower and just raise the front up and keep going over it until it's decent, but I wouldn't put my ZTR on it.

SLR
05-31-2011, 03:51 PM
I think i would weedwack it first while carefully watching where my invisible feet stepped,there just may a potential for ALOT of down time to pull out all that pesky 100ft of clothline cable or that scrap metal piping that just somehow went flying through the other side of your neighbors window and ending up it's final resting place bonking into their indoor barking pitbull:)
..might even be a bees nest or two in that kept forest.

BrunoT
06-04-2011, 03:09 AM
$200 is a pretty big hole of free time in the schedule this time of year. Maybe going for one-time customers isn't the best strategy. Better to do $200 of work in that slot every week, all year.