PDA

View Full Version : Does everyone still stay away from B&S???

ommegang
05-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Considering 36" mowers. Ariens is 1400 elect start w/ B&S. Just wondering if B&S is making any better motors relative to Kawi and Kohler these days?

Hawkshot99
05-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Well that is not a commercial engine so it will not last like a commercial engine. Neither is the mower.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
05-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Bs vanguard has been a great motor for us
Posted via Mobile Device

underPSI
05-29-2011, 08:57 PM
I don't know how a rumor that B&S engines are junk because I can tell you from experience it's next to impossible to kill them. I have poured SAND in the spark plug hole on a B&S engine trying to kill it and 3 full gas tanks later the engine is still running strong.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
05-29-2011, 09:47 PM
I don't know how a rumor that B&S engines are junk because I can tell you from experience it's next to impossible to kill them. I have poured SAND in the spark plug hole on a B&S engine trying to kill it and 3 full gas tanks later the engine is still running strong.

Why would you do such a thing?

tacoma200
05-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Some of the lines such as Vanguards are very good proven engines.
Posted via Mobile Device

underPSI
05-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Why would you do such a thing?

To see how strong of an engine it is, why else? Don't you do this on all your engines? If it ain't tough I don't want it.

cuttin-to-the-Max
05-30-2011, 02:09 PM
To see how strong of an engine it is, why else? If it ain't tough I don't want it.

ahhahahahahahhahahahahahhaha:laugh::laugh:
Im sorry continue!

Best motor is a hondaaaaaa:canadaflag::canadaflag:
Until you need customer service....gotta call to canada and they never answer!

ProStreetCamaro
05-30-2011, 05:57 PM
ahhahahahahahhahahahahahhaha:laugh::laugh:
Im sorry continue!

Best motor is a hondaaaaaa:canadaflag::canadaflag:
Until you need customer service....gotta call to canada and they never answer!

Yes Honda the gutless wonder in the commercial world.

As for B&S engines I call them Briggs and scrap iron but in all honesty the vanguards are not bad at all. BUT you are looking at a consumer mower and not commercial. Just go get yourself a Gravely 36G belt drive. It will last you a long time and comes in at $2990 plus tax. Also if we ever get nuked you can hide under it and be just fine until the radiation kills you. The 36G is built like a freaking tank.

nepatsfan
05-30-2011, 06:24 PM
I hear they have gotten better but I wouldn't spend my money on one.

jfoxtrot9
05-30-2011, 06:45 PM
My Vanguard has been good thus far at two years in.

My Honda mower has had more problems than any B&S engine than I have ever had. My Honda just got her 3rd carb in 4 years! It's funny, I have to use a spare Crapsman with a B&S on her when the Honda is down. :usflag:

ProStreetCamaro
05-30-2011, 07:40 PM
I hear they have gotten better but I wouldn't spend my money on one.

Leaves a beautiful cut.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/P1050852.jpg

nepatsfan
05-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Leaves a beautiful cut.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/P1050852.jpg

I was referring to the briggs, not the gravely. I was actually looking over the gravely's at a trade show in the spring and they seem like they are built quite well.

lawnboy dan
05-31-2011, 09:39 AM
the vandgaurd issnt made by briggs-its made in japan

topsites
05-31-2011, 09:42 AM
First off it's an engine, not a motor, motors are electric and you could not possibly
have a Briggs and Stratton motor because I have looked high and low for these things
but sure enough they don't make those, all they make are engines.

That having been said, no, Briggs and Stratton did not to my understanding suddenly trip up all over themselves
and flip out decide they were going to build an engine that's better than the rest for far less than it should cost.

Briggs and Stratton always has, and to my understanding always will produce an economically built engine, the cost
of their engines is far below that of their competitors so in all fairness you get what you pay for and in that sense
Briggs and Stratton offers quality workmanship for your money.

elitelawnteam1
05-31-2011, 09:59 AM
I've got a Horizontal Briggs I/C for my edger, it's not bad, and cheaper than the honda option

Darryl G
05-31-2011, 10:15 AM
First off it's an engine, not a motor, motors are electric and you could not possibly
have a Briggs and Stratton motor because I have looked high and low for these things
but sure enough they don't make those, all they make are engines.

That having been said, no, Briggs and Stratton did not to my understanding suddenly trip up all over themselves
and flip out decide they were going to build an engine that's better than the rest for far less than it should cost.

Briggs and Stratton always has, and to my understanding always will produce an economically built engine, the cost
of their engines is far below that of their competitors so in all fairness you get what you pay for and in that sense
Briggs and Stratton offers quality workmanship for your money.

WTF. Where do you get the idea that motors are only electric? I've seen some crazy posts by you but this one has to take the cake!!!!!!!! Motors create motion and can be powered by virtually anything!

ProStreetCamaro
05-31-2011, 01:44 PM
WTF. Where do you get the idea that motors are only electric? I've seen some crazy posts by you but this one has to take the cake!!!!!!!! Motors create motion and can be powered by virtually anything!

Actually he is right. Motors are electric and engines are gas. I still call everything motors but the term does mean electric powered.

THG
05-31-2011, 02:56 PM
I think the Engine versus Motor definition is very interesting. In general I agree that a motor typically means electric but,
Why is Detroit called Motor City?
Why does the government use the term Motor Vehicle to describe cars and trucks?
Where did the term Outboard Motor on boats originate from? or (Motor Boating)
Why is Google a search Engine?
Food for thought!

XLS
05-31-2011, 04:13 PM
change the oil and B&S is fine run then untill they die then replace them

tuffram
05-31-2011, 04:25 PM
I stay away from B&S on large equipment ztr etc I will only have the following engines Kubota, Kohler, and Kawasaki. I am sure they are fine for smaller equipment that does not get used as much i.e. push mowers, edger’s, bag vacs.

Merkava_4
05-31-2011, 04:45 PM
I've always wondered why they call engine oil "motor oil." :D

ommegang
05-31-2011, 04:59 PM
I've always wondered why they call engine oil "motor oil." :D

Perplexing::) Considering my 1998 Emark metro 48" WB Kawi still ran strong, I will stick with Kawi. Considering 0% for 3 years till July, maybe a new Exmark Metro 36" belt drive. They also have Husqv and JD too. Otherwise there is another dealer who has Gravely, Bobcat,Ferris,Scag, Etc. Looking to stay under $3000 assuming 0% financing. Still waiting on several thousand in plow money.

LexingtonKYcutter
05-31-2011, 08:12 PM
We have ran the Briggs Big Blocks motors for years. Started with Exmark years ago and now run them in our Ferris mowers. All I can say about them is they are bullet proof. We ran Kohlers before and the Big Block Briggs engines are twice the engine those were. Tons of power, and little to no break downs causing downtime. Wouldn't even consider a commercial ZTR mower if it didn't have the Briggs in it.

braddsn
05-31-2011, 08:30 PM
I have had many things with Briggs engines on them... power washers, push mowers, generators, pumps, the list goes on. I have yet to have a problem with a Briggs engine that was anything other than normal wear. They are the biggest small engine company in North America, (possibly the world, not sure). They have been around the block, and know how to build small engines. My dad's Scag is what I would consider a top of the line commercial mower, and it has a Briggs in it. That speaks volumes in my opinion. Also considering that all of the big name commercial mower companies offer B&S engines in some of their mowers, 'nuff said.

Darryl G
05-31-2011, 09:43 PM
Ummm...guys....a motor that's electric is called an electric motor. All engines are motors but not all motors are engines.

topsites
05-31-2011, 10:17 PM
Ummm...guys....a motor that's electric is called an electric motor. All engines are motors but not all motors are engines.

In some languages what you speak of is true but in English a motor runs on electricity, an engine is fuel driven,
if it's not fuel driven it's not an engine, and if it doesn't run on electricity it's not a motor, and it is one or the other.

underPSI
05-31-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks a B&S engine is good. I swear I poured sand in the spark plug hole and the thing just wouldn't quit. I will say this I have had issues with my Kawasaki engines. I have never had an issue with a Briggs.

nepatsfan
05-31-2011, 10:42 PM

The real test is to drain the oil and pour sand in cylinder head. Take a video and post it. My camera is broken...I do it all the time. It's the only way to see if your MOTOR is any good.

GMLC
05-31-2011, 10:57 PM
A steam engine doesn't run on fuel. Engines are a type of motor. Darryl is correct.
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
05-31-2011, 10:59 PM
In some languages what you speak of is true but in English a motor runs on electricity, an engine is fuel driven,
if it's not fuel driven it's not an engine, and if it doesn't run on electricity it's not a motor, and it is one or the other.

the fountain of misinformation strikes again

GMLC
05-31-2011, 11:05 PM
A hydraulic motor doesn't run on electricity. Again an engine is a motor but not all motors are engines.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
06-01-2011, 12:01 AM
From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

Definition of ENGINE
1obsolete a : ingenuity b : evil contrivance : wile
2a : something used to effect a purpose : agent, instrument <mournful and terrible engine of horror and of crime — E. A. Poe> b : something that produces a particular and usually desirable result <engines of economic growth>
3a : a mechanical tool: as (1) : an instrument or machine of war (2) obsolete : a torture implement b : machinery c : any of various mechanical appliances —often used in combination <fire engine>
4: a machine for converting any of various forms of energy into mechanical force and motion; also : a mechanism or object that serves as an energy source <black holes may be the engines for quasars>
5: a railroad locomotive
6: computer software that performs a fundamental function especially of a larger program
— en·gine·less adjective
See engine defined for English-language learners »
See engine defined for kids »
Examples of ENGINE
The car has a four-cylinder engine.
tanks, planes, and other engines of war
The tax cut could be an engine of economic growth.
Origin of ENGINE
Middle English engin, from Anglo-French, from Latin ingenium natural disposition, talent, from in- + gignere to beget — more at kin
First Known Use: 13th century
Related to ENGINE
Synonyms: machine, motor

Definition of MOTOR
1: one that imparts motion; specifically : prime mover
2: any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as a : a small compact engine b : internal combustion engine; especially : a gasoline engine c : a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy
3: motor vehicle; especially : automobile
— mo·tor·dom \-dəm\ noun
— mo·tor·less \-ləs\ adjective
See motor defined for English-language learners »
See motor defined for kids »
Examples of MOTOR
<the device was equipped with a small electrical motor to make the gears spin>
<went shopping for a new automobile at Valley Motors>
Origin of MOTOR
Latin, from movēre to move
First Known Use: 1586
Related to MOTOR
Synonyms: machine, engine
Related Words: converter, transformer; appliance, mechanism; equipment, tool; millsee all synonyms and antonyms
[+]more

nepatsfan
06-01-2011, 01:23 AM
From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

Definition of ENGINE
1obsolete a : ingenuity b : evil contrivance : wile
2a : something used to effect a purpose : agent, instrument <mournful and terrible engine of horror and of crime — E. A. Poe> b : something that produces a particular and usually desirable result <engines of economic growth>
3a : a mechanical tool: as (1) : an instrument or machine of war (2) obsolete : a torture implement b : machinery c : any of various mechanical appliances —often used in combination <fire engine>
4: a machine for converting any of various forms of energy into mechanical force and motion; also : a mechanism or object that serves as an energy source <black holes may be the engines for quasars>
5: a railroad locomotive
6: computer software that performs a fundamental function especially of a larger program
— en·gine·less adjective
See engine defined for English-language learners »
See engine defined for kids »
Examples of ENGINE
The car has a four-cylinder engine.
tanks, planes, and other engines of war
The tax cut could be an engine of economic growth.
Origin of ENGINE
Middle English engin, from Anglo-French, from Latin ingenium natural disposition, talent, from in- + gignere to beget — more at kin
First Known Use: 13th century
Related to ENGINE
Synonyms: machine, motor

Definition of MOTOR
1: one that imparts motion; specifically : prime mover
2: any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as a : a small compact engine b : internal combustion engine; especially : a gasoline engine c : a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy
3: motor vehicle; especially : automobile
— mo·tor·dom \-dəm\ noun
— mo·tor·less \-ləs\ adjective
See motor defined for English-language learners »
See motor defined for kids »
Examples of MOTOR
<the device was equipped with a small electrical motor to make the gears spin>
<went shopping for a new automobile at Valley Motors>
Origin of MOTOR
Latin, from movēre to move
First Known Use: 1586
Related to MOTOR
Synonyms: machine, engine
Related Words: converter, transformer; appliance, mechanism; equipment, tool; millsee all synonyms and antonyms
[+]more

I dont think it gets much more clear than that. Care to tell us why you think you know more than websters dictionary topsites. You have been pushing that motor thing for a while...open mouth insert foot...yum:cry:

flatlander42
06-01-2011, 01:29 AM
lame arguement.

I like my B&S in my walker, and am not afraid of buying another one!

Darryl G
06-01-2011, 02:01 AM
It's not a lame arguement when someone asks a question about motors (and we all know exactly what he's talking about) and some smarty thinks he's gonna school them on proper terminology when he has it wrong himself. After 20k comments like that it can kind of wear on you, ok?

With that said, my 10hp Briggs MOTOR on my Billy Goat leaf blower has had head problems twice despite proper maintenance and little use....wish I'd bought the Honda on it, but to replace it with a Honda now would be too costly.