PDA

View Full Version : Walker Mower Maintenance

kubotafan
05-29-2011, 09:15 PM
I have read several times that Walker Mowers are high maintenance mowers. Why is this? I have never owned a Walker Mower but like the out front deck and it looks as if it should be easy to service, clean and change blades.

dgw
05-29-2011, 09:21 PM
they have 26 grease zerks, maybe thats why

and they are a bit fragile

flatlander42
05-29-2011, 09:36 PM
I've never had a hard time with service on them. Just take your time and lube everything that moves. Don't forget about the two zerks that you have to take off the tires to get to! LOL It's little things like that I think that make people hate them.

gene gls
05-29-2011, 09:45 PM
I've never had a hard time with service on them. Just take your time and lube everything that moves. Don't forget about the two zerks that you have to take off the tires to get to! LOL It's little things like that I think that make people hate them.

You don't need to remove the tires......The fittings are in plain view.

flatlander42
05-29-2011, 09:47 PM
My grease gun has a flexy hose. I also like to get inside there and clean off the crap that has landed on the lift arms.

gene gls
05-29-2011, 09:48 PM
I have read several times that Walker Mowers are high maintenance mowers. Why is this? I have never owned a Walker Mower but like the out front deck and it looks as if it should be easy to service, clean and change blades.

My Walker has 4300+ hours....Least expensive mower I have owned.

Think Green
05-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Walkers are a complex mower................well worth the money you will spend on maintenance. These mowers put out just as much as you place them through.
I have one unit that is 11 years old........been through 1 new engine. I put never flat tires on the front deck. My unit has 32 grease alimites. The PTO has 3.......one on each main wheel.........one on each deck wheel...........one on each idler pulley under the clam shell. There are 4 grease fittings on the bar system that controls the direction. I can go on in another paragraph, so I won't do it.
The deck components, the wheels and the idler pulleys are the most used pieces to grease. The engagement lever has 3 so treat them nicely as dirt does accumulate on this mechanism. Keep watch on the Hydro fluid fill reservoirs. Check the 4 belts occasionally for wear, gum balls, leaf fragments, grass fragments and all other things like sticks to get in there and heat up. The clutch is another thing to keep in mind......it will fill up with dirt, so get a compressor attachment that has a long narrow needle to get into these hard places to blow out dirt, leaves and debris.
Keep the inner and outer breathers cleaned daily.........don't let this go at all.........keep the grill cleaned off if you have water cooled.

I have been known for saying that my Walker's get better servicing sometimes than my wife. Both are well worth the investment and the maintenance.

TMlawncare
05-29-2011, 10:24 PM
They do have a lot of fittings but some only needed to be greased a couple times a year. My Walker model md with a 21hp 3cylinder Kubota Gas engine has 3700hrs and still goes out each week. A few people has asked when I am going to replace it with a new one. My response, why?

kubotafan
05-30-2011, 06:59 AM
What are maintance costs like on items that naturally need replacing, like belts. What do wheel hydros and pumps cost and what is life expectancy on these things? Once you are used to the mower maintance how long does it take?

I was also wondering how easy they are to tie down on a trailer. Do they have any special provisions for tie down straps?

I am two hours from a dealer and I don't know of any in my area so this explains some of these questions. I my area most use residential tractor mowers from Sears, Canadian Tire and John Deere. If a commercial zero turn it will likely be a John Deere or a Kubota. From what I read I prefer the Walker Mower because the weight ia a lot lighter than the commercial zero turns and should do less lawn damage. I also like the out front deck.

mdlwn1
05-30-2011, 07:42 AM
They do have a lot of fittings but some only needed to be greased a couple times a year. My Walker model md with a 21hp 3cylinder Kubota Gas engine has 3700hrs and still goes out each week. A few people has asked when I am going to replace it with a new one. My response, why?

That motor is now legendary...they routinely go well beyond 3000 hours.

TMlawncare
05-30-2011, 11:42 PM
That motor is now legendary...they routinely go well beyond 3000 hours.

The only issue we have ever had with the kubota engine on the walker was the alternator bearings went out at around 2800hrs. We had the alternator rebuilt for $125 and is working perfect. Otherwise just oil changes every 200hrs (mobil 1 10w30) and filter changes and that it. Still has original spark plugs at almost 3800hrs.

andyman5001
10-03-2011, 09:59 PM
I know this thread is a few months old, but I am about to purchase a 1993 Walker with a liquid cooled 21hp Kubota gasoline engine. Is this the engine you guys are referring to? It has 2300 hours on it. This would be my first Walker and am a bit hesitant because of the age of the unit. It has a 48" collection deck, ghs for $2000. It looks descent for its age too.

Thanks guys.

Hogjaw
10-03-2011, 10:44 PM
My Walker has 4300+ hours....Least expensive mower I have owned.

decided long time ago maintenance is the key to longevity, including man.

Guess this is with original pumps and engine?

gene gls
10-04-2011, 06:38 AM
decided long time ago maintenance is the key to longevity, including man.

Guess this is with original pumps and engine?

No..........engin changed at 2900 hours, 1 hydro at 3000 hours, other at 3500 hours

gene gls
10-04-2011, 06:51 AM
I know this thread is a few months old, but I am about to purchase a 1993 Walker with a liquid cooled 21hp Kubota gasoline engine. Is this the engine you guys are referring to? It has 2300 hours on it. This would be my first Walker and am a bit hesitant because of the age of the unit. It has a 48" collection deck, ghs for $2000. It looks descent for its age too.

Thanks guys.

Most talk of Kubota engin refers to the diesel. The Kubota gas is a sweet engin, quiet running. I always wanted one but never came accross a used one for sale. This mower must be a home owner unit with the low hours. Price will depend on the overall condition of the mower.

andyman5001
10-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Thanks, I'll post pics if I end up purchasing it..

BlackCloudDiesel
10-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Walker is known for producing the "Rolls Royce" of mowers. I own 4 now, and my mower that I ride every day is a 1999 MD-GHS with just over 6,300 hours on it! Keep them greased, oil clean, blades sharp and they'll serve you well! There are just a few, small things I'd change about the design of the machine. None of my ideas have anything to do with maintenance though.

Them having so many grease fittings is nice. Bushings, bearings, u-joints, pivot points all last longer with grease. I can grease my entire tractor+deck in just under 10 minutes. Oil changes in those machines are also gravy! 20 min- tops! They're not too hard to work on, i did an engine swap on a machine a few years ago with a buddy in one evening at my shop.

Many people can take apart a Walker, few can put them back together... correctly.

Don't let anyone scare you, they don't bite and owning one will pay for itself quickly!