PDA

View Full Version : blade help

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
05-30-2011, 12:29 AM
i have a 48 great dane super surfer. i currently have gator high lift blades on it that are new from beginning of last fall. i just had them sharpened a couple weeks ago because little hairs of grass were around and i have always noticed a small stripe of grass left which really is visible when mowing curves. the sharpening changed nothing so i checked the spindles(fine) and timed the blades differently(no difference). i talked to my dealer who said he hears this alot about these gator blades and recommended going back to straight high lifts. my question to you all is if i go back to not having gators like i have had for years will the cut be better? i always discharge, will it leave a significantly larger grass clippings behind?

thanks!
Zak

Richard Martin
05-30-2011, 06:44 AM
It probably will. I just put Gator's new G6 mulchers on my Dixie and these blades are chopping everything into tiny bits. I really like these blades and may use them all of the time.

ProStreetCamaro
05-30-2011, 08:45 AM
I tried gators once a few years ago and took them off after one day. they left a horrible cut for us.

Doublewide6
05-30-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm having the same problem a strip of uncut grass on curves and when running full speed it leaves a strip. I just ordered the standard high lift blades and am waiting for them to arrive. Measure the length of your gator blades my are only 20.5 when I measure on an angle from corner to corner. If I measure straight across the blade they are 20.25. My z-turn requires 20.5" blades.

cpllawncare
05-30-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm running straight high lifts now with no real issue's, but in the fall I am going to try some high lift gators on the leaves, from what I've seen they do an awesome job and eliminate the need to bag, I'm running a mulch kit also though.

cpllawncare
05-30-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm having the same problem a strip of uncut grass on curves and when running full speed it leaves a strip. I just ordered the standard high lift blades and am waiting for them to arrive. Measure the length of your gator blades my are only 20.5 when I measure on an angle from corner to corner. If I measure straight across the blade they are 20.25. My z-turn requires 20.5" blades.

"When running full speed" there's your problem!

tnwildcat
05-30-2011, 09:42 AM
I have two sets of blades. In the fall I only run the gators. I was in a hurry and needed to sharpen the high lifts. Instead of sharpen hi lifts I put fresh sharp gators and cut for two days. They really stink on the best of yards. On a bi weekly weed patch they left a lot of strays from weeds such as crab and goose grass. Gators are for leaves and not grass. People have been writing this for years on this forum and I couldn't agree more.

Pennington Lawncare
05-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Back last Summer I bought some of the Oregon Gator Blades for my Bob-Cat. They did a lot better job than the OEM blades on leaving less noticeable clippings. Towards the end of last Summer I bought their newer G6 Gator Blades and the design is completely different. The G6 are wider and shaped different and have a lot more lift. They are noticeably harder for the engine to turn as well. I just ordered my second set of them from mowpart the other day and I've pretty much gone to Gator blades rear round so I'd say you might want to look at the G6 for your mower since they likely offer more lift.

Richard Martin
05-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Measure the length of your gator blades my are only 20.5 when I measure on an angle from corner to corner. If I measure straight across the blade they are 20.25. My z-turn requires 20.5" blades.

All blades are measured tip to tip. Since the blades travels in an arc and they are of varying width you have to measure tip to tip in order to get the correct length as it travels through it's arc. A 3" wide blade might only have a straight length of 20-1/8" while a 2-1/2" blade will have a 20-1/4" straight length, though both will cut the same 20-1/2" circle of grass.

Doublewide6
05-30-2011, 12:15 PM
All blades are measured tip to tip. Since the blades travels in an arc and they are of varying width you have to measure tip to tip in order to get the correct length as it travels through it's arc. A 3" wide blade might only have a straight length of 20-1/8" while a 2-1/2" blade will have a 20-1/4" straight length, though both will cut the same 20-1/2" circle of grass.

Thanks, I'm new to the business and am learning new things everyday. I think I only got a C- in physics;)

hackitdown
05-30-2011, 12:20 PM
I use them in the spring and fall for cleanups. I find that they leave a strip uncut if I mow fast. And I like to mow fast.

cpllawncare
05-30-2011, 03:54 PM
I use them in the spring and fall for cleanups. I find that they leave a strip uncut if I mow fast. And I like to mow fast.

I've gotten a few residential accounts because the owners tell me their landscaping guy just flies around the yard and then loads up and takes off, he never looks back to check the quality of cut he just did and he misses spots and tears up the yard in the process by going to fast. :hammerhead:

jfoxtrot9
05-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Gators in the fall and the first cut in the spring to chop things up. Hi lifts the rest of the year. They will do you much better on those seemingly always moist, thick lawns, especially in the spring.

When I am leaving strands of grass behind, it is usually because the underneath of my deck needs cleaned out. No airflow, no lift = strands of grass left behind.

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
05-30-2011, 11:01 PM
It probably will. I just put Gator's new G6 mulchers on my Dixie and these blades are chopping everything into tiny bits. I really like these blades and may use them all of the time.

those are what i have now and used to seem to mow well but now i have this problem

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
05-30-2011, 11:06 PM
Gators in the fall and the first cut in the spring to chop things up. Hi lifts the rest of the year. They will do you much better on those seemingly always moist, thick lawns, especially in the spring.

When I am leaving strands of grass behind, it is usually because the underneath of my deck needs cleaned out. No airflow, no lift = strands of grass left behind.

my deck is always clean when this happens...i scrape the deck every couple yards in the spring to make sure there is always the correct amount of air flow

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
05-30-2011, 11:07 PM
i will be putting on regular hi-lifts tmro...hopefully the discharge is not a huge difference from the gators